Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all, I am contemplating buying a 1989 toyota supra turbo. as far as I know everything is in good working condition except the turbocharger. the previous owner started tearing it apart to get the turbo out but soon realized he was in over his head. long story short he got in some trouble and is in rehab right now. so I have the option of purchasing it. it comes with all the pieces he took off as well as some spare parts. Theres 148,000 miles on the car and 60,000 miles on the engine. car is black with a grayish gut. hard top. stock wheels I presume.

Now I'll be honest I never looked into buying a supra before. The catch here is this is a decent price for a car that doesn't need alot of work to run. I went to look at the car. I have never seen the engine bay of a supra turbo before but from what I can gather he removed all pipes to and from the turbo. its just sitting there. I spun the wheel in the turbo and it rotates horribly off axis.

back to where I say I know nothing about supras. I don't know if this car is worth the money to buy and fix. I have done quick searches for CT-26s on this forums and find that they are in demand and hard to find. I don't know if new ones are manufactured. My plan was to buy the car, fix it up for about $500, and use it for a second car during the summer until I go back to school. When school comes around I want to sell it to pay for tuition.

would it be wise to purchase this car? Can it be fixed for ~$500? When the time comes to sell it to pay for college tuition will I be able to see at least $3000? I need to pay $1500 for tuition. where can I find a good replacement turbo that won't put a hurting on my wallet? If thats not possible can I have the broken turbo rebuilt for a good price by a reputable rebuilder?

I am mechanically inclined (I've done engine swaps, taken out trannies, installed full exhausts) so I would do all the work myself. just need the help of you guys! :)

edit: I forgot to ask. does anyone have any good pictures of their engine bays? I've done searches on here and google images but yielded few results. the few that I found looked to be heavily modified. If I took it apart I would have no problem putting it back together but this is going to be like a jigsaw puzzle lol.

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much. they will be extremely useful!

I have pretty much decided to buy it now. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for a ct26.

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts
The ct26 gets listed alot in the for sale section here. Make sure to check their selling history so you don't get taken for a ride. Most of the Men & women are honest people but a couple aren't . Average looks to be anywhere from 275- 350 for it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts