Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. New to the Supra forums. Just to introduce myself, I'm 16 and I have an '82 P-Type. My first car. Got it from my uncle for $500 and with the help of my dad, fixed it up. So far we have about $2,300, and most of that was just fixing up the body. Just as a disclaimer, I did NOT get this car because of F&F. In fact, I don't even like the movie. I got my car before the movie even came out!! I just wanted to let you know becuase I don't want peole to think I'm just some 16 y/o punk that can't afford an MKIV so he settled for an MK2! :) With that over, heres what she used to look like:

(the bad side)

(the better side)

As you can see, it wasn't much at first. In fact, it was pretty horrible. You'd come back from a drive smelling like exaust fumes and your eyes would burn! Most of it was comming through, believe it or not, the drivers side door. It was rusted so bad it was practically in two pieces, held together only by the top :) So a trip to the junkyard fixed it pretty simple. The door is from an '85 l-type and had a tinted window, so my dad and I figured we'd take the guts out of our '82 and just put it in the shell of the '85. Worked great. Here's a pic of it:

(old door)

(new door installed)

We actually replaced the tail-lights before the door because the lenses were broken and it looked kinda bad (the pic doesn't show it all). Got both for $80 from the junkyard... I realize they are from an '83 but they didn't have an '82 tail-lights and being my first car, I wasn't too worried about restoring it or anything.

(before)

(after)

Since then we've fixed a couple mechanical issues (breaks, slave cylinder for the clutch, rack + power steering pump) but it's been a good car. My dad had a friend of his work on the body cause there was (as expected with a 19 year old car) tons of rust. As you guys know, the hatch was horrible, there was a good deal of rust behind the drivers side rear-wheel (see pic | zoomed in) and there was a little below the gas-tank... ..and well a little every where.

I sadly, don't have pictures of it with the paint stripped w/bondo :) on my computer. I'll have to get 'em scanned one of these days. But it finally turned into a decent car, to say the least. Here she is right after the new paintjob/body work:

Here are some misc pictures of how it lookd after the work if you're interested:
-hatch
-rear side
-radio mess
-front
-clean rims (or as clean as they have ever been since I've had it. Spent 5 hours one day cleanin' all the break dust off and finally said "Fuck it, this is as good as it's gonna get" :)
-she ain't perfect
-inside
-engine bay

I don't really have any future plans for this car, cause in a couple years it'll start lookin' pretty crappy again. I'm sure I'll see the rust start to show through in about a year or so. But hey, for $2,300 it beats anything else in that price range in my school parkin' lot :D Heck, it'll beat a lot of more expensive cars--once I learn to drive it a bit better....

I hope to one day find a gem and put the MK3 engine in it, that would be pretty badass. But that is definitly down the road. I hope to get involved in SCCA sometime soon. Before my uncle sold it to me, thats what it was used for. I dont know much about cars (though I'm learning) but it has very stiff suspension which accounts for really nice handling and it also has a K&N cold air intake. Probably nothin' else major cause from what I know there are "areas" in SCCA, stock, modified, etc. and this guy probably ran it "stock"

Sorry for the novel, but I know some of you guys are really interested in this stuff and I know I am. I love readin' about other people supras and was glad to find this site. Nice to see a place were the few MK2 supra owners can get together. We're flooded with MK3/4 sites, but not too many MK2 ones.

·
Needs More BOOST
416 Posts
Makes me miss my MKII. Mine was an L type with a digital dash and power moonroof. It was two tone silver and black. I had it when I was 20. Now I have an MKIII turbo. Still miss my MKII though
I would've never sold had I known that I could've swapped in a turbo!!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Love the supra quick--love 'em both :) I've never really been into import cars and still aren't much, but this one is pretty unique I think. I used to be all about how quick can you get from point "A" to point "B" in a straight line. Now I'm more into how fast can you turn that corner without loosin' it :)

One night I was commin' home from work at around 11:30-ish and I was comming up on an intercection which I had to turn right on. Nobody was there, saw no headlights, so I dropped it to second and punched it around 2k RPMs. It all happened so quick, but I ended up feelin' myself loosing the rear, so I quickly shifted the steering wheel the other way and that made it worse. Ended up doin' a 180, hehe. Felt pretty stupid at first becuase that isn't what I was tryin' to do, but I ended up laughin' my ass off the rest of the way home--it was fun :)

Somethin' I have noticed is that the rear is extremely easy to lose on this car. There ain't any weight back there....

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Hipnotic_Tranz said:

Somethin' I have noticed is that the rear is extremely easy to loose on this car. There ain't any weight back there....
Thanks for the compliments. :)

I've never really been into 'imports'... I've just always been into reliable transportation that's fast and Toyota has provided that in spades... so I own three Toyotas. :) That's how I look at it anyway.

As far as the ass-end sliding out... I can relate. The MkII is really tail-happy. Be careful in the rain, and practice on deserted streets if you can so that you're used to what happens and can react in an emergency.

You'll want to be prepared for the rear kicking out whenever you introduce power to the rear wheels... that means it can happen going around corners as well as straight.

I've learned that lesson the hard way ... spun the MkII at 25 mph a few times just by accelerating at the wrong time in turns.

Glad to see the MkII is alive and strong. Welcome to the community!

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea man, nice car

i dunno about the rear end....

i own an 83' celica (pretty much 4cyl supra) and i have driven an 85' supra for almost 6 months.... i will agree that they slide out a bit, but if you'r careful on the gas and have good counter steering, you can pull a beautiful powerslide in rain or dry. and yea, whoever mentioned practicing on an empty road or in a deserted parking lot, they are absolutely right. there have been a few times, in the beginning, when i got the car 90 degrees sideways on the back roads. now i seem to pull almost fault-less slides all the time.

ever driven an old 77' 350 corvette? when you do, you will love how stable the rear is on supras.

celica+wet+weenie $25 tires=powerslide every corner

at the moment i am looking for a supra in about the same shape yours was before the resto, my dad too his supra back and i had to buy the first supra-like car i could afford, celica, ack! i want my 5mge back!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It's not completely restored to original '82 specs, just fixed up to look better than it's previous state :)

_HOT_M16 - I have really wide tires and whenever it gets wet, my ass is all over if I hit the gas at the wrong time. I like to do it every once in a while on purpose cause it's fun to feel it slide out--but then I"ll just let off and (unless I'm goin' real fast) the car will straighten itself out.

I'd like to get into SCCA to learn how to shift/race better. None of my friends (except one or two) are into cars, so I'm on my own when it comes to learnin' this stuff.

On our first *light*snow, I went to a parkin' lot and pulled some dougnuts. There wasn't but 1/8th of an inch of snow and I could pull 'em off easily. One of these days when it gets warmer I'll take it out at night and go down to an empty parkin' lot. I'd really like to find an abandoned landing strip or something ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea.... the way the celicas are laid out, they are really forgiving, and the supras more so because of their increased front weight, or atleast that is what i picked up from driving them both for a little while...

you do really have to watch how much gas you give it, usually as soon as it breaks loose, if you let up a little (enough to slow the spin but not let them grab again) you can usually hold a nice tail slide. as soon as you feel uncomfortable with it, let off the gas and push in the clutch and the back end should come right back under ya.

good lord i need to find another supra fast, i'm having donut cravings and the ol celica just dont have the power.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey this is a pretty cool, I am 16 years old and just recently bought an 1982 Toyota Celica Supra I paid 1000 dollars for it (Canadian). It is black and was restored about 5 years ago (50 percent bondo and is cracking )I wish to restore it properly in the near future (major plans but no cash and lack of intelligence). All of my friends own big american V8's (Mustangs, Trans-am's) and no one owns an import so they are little help with the engine, they are trying to tell me to put a 350 Chevy in it "I don't think so"!

Nice car man, hope we can figure out this stuff together!

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Canadian MK2 Owner said:
As I keep saying, you'll find all of the expertise that you want on the MkII list -- there are several hundred members that are all MkII fanatics.

Go there if you need help figuring stuff out. Supraforums isn't really a very good MkII site.

http://group.yahoo.com/group/mk2

Best of luck! Hope that helps.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Canadian MK2 Owner said:
Hey this is a pretty cool, I am 16 years old and just recently bought an 1982 Toyota Celica Supra I paid 1000 dollars for it (Canadian). It is black and was restored about 5 years ago (50 percent bondo and is cracking )I wish to restore it properly in the near future (major plans but no cash and lack of intelligence). All of my friends own big american V8's (Mustangs, Trans-am's) and no one owns an import so they are little help with the engine, they are trying to tell me to put a 350 Chevy in it "I don't think so"!

Yep. Looks like we're in the same boat here. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can now cause I can't see a better solution for cheaper--major bang for your buck here. You can get some monster hp out of a simple thing as swaping the engines (well, not exactly *simple* but I hear it's not too difficult). For less than $10k you could probably have a 350+ hp MK2.

It's just a cheap way to go and the car itself doesn't look all that bad. The rear could use some work (I wish the bumper didn't stick out so damn far) but you can't have it all.

[edit]
hehe, you wouldn't believe how stupid I am. yesterday on my way to work, I decided to speed around this corner. It was wet mind you. Well, I was in second and didn't make a complete stop, made sure nobody was near and then gunned it. I felt the rear starting to slide out from me so I pushed the clutch in (and heres where I made my mistake) then I slammed on the breaks and cut the wheel in the opposite direction. This sent my front in directly towards a [deep] ditch. my front end got stuck and my rear passenger side tire was about an 1/8th of an inch off the ground :)

Some awsome guy stopped by and toed me with his ford explorer. The car is fine and nobody got hurt, and as far as I can tell the car is still in just as good as shape as before I hit the ditch. And thats what I'm glad about :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had a very similar accident the first time i drove my car in town! I was turning onto a highway and wanted to show my friend what Japanese technology was like back in 1982, well anyways I gunned it in first, and had my tires spining, and was all the way into 3 gear when i thought i got some traction but then I hit a patch of ice and ended up doing a 72 and almost hitting a damn deep ditch.

·
Registered
717 Posts
haha.... i do believe i'll be jumping into the "restoring supra" boat with you as soon as i find a nicely priced one. i looked at one the other day, but the old man who had it had left the sunroof open for about 6 years, the hard interior wasn't that bad, but all the seats were torn out from some sort of animal. in addition to this, the wiring was bad, probably from rodents. the body was in great shape, but for the price he wanted, i coulnd't do it

yes, the 83' celica (supra wannabe) has only gotten stuck once, and i had it coming, you ought to see the offroad trail i took it on. it was half way up the rear rims in mud and i thought i could get it out... hah! my friend behind me pushed me out with his pickup, but immediately got stuck in the same hole i was in. took me about 15 minutes to pull him out. toyota power!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good! I have an '82 P-type as well. I've been working her over, and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have my 7m-gte in it. Its either that or a Line6 Flextone 2 Half stack with 4 channel foot switch. Decisions decisions........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts