Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a tooth missing from my torsen diff and decided to replace it with a TRD Diff. I've put 300 miles on the car and drained the oil and saw some shavings on the drain plug. I used amsoil 75w-90 (i forgot to use mineral for breakin). Then I replaced it with some cheap vavoline 80w-90 oil. When driving straight in a high gear crusing around 60-80mph I can feel my diff and the hear the sounds it makes. It sounds like a broken torsen diff. Is it possible that I need to put more miles on this diff? I also don't have the additive in yet and I dont know if that will cure this popping thumping sound from the rear end. or is this normal?

The backlash is within spec.

pic of shavings on first oil drain.

http://www.phdmp.com/pix/drain_plug/Draing Plug 002.jpg

http://www.phdmp.com/pix/drain_plug/Draing Plug 003.jpg

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
i think its a bad thing to see that. maybe its from the last LSD? you should replace the fluid more often. if you keep seeing that. i think you got a problem.

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
Did you add friction modifier to your new TRD unit? I believe this is necessary since its a clutch type unit. If you are also noticing notchess/spool like symptoms around sharp turns, this will be the cause due to the clutches.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suprafied said:
Did you add friction modifier to your new TRD unit? I believe this is necessary since its a clutch type unit. If you are also noticing notchess/spool like symptoms around sharp turns, this will be the cause due to the clutches.

I haven't added that. Where can I get it? Is it to smooth out the clutch engagement?

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called my local autoparts store they said they carry redline Friction Modifier. I'm going to drain and put new gear oil in again along with this additive.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Did you try to break-in the TRD (LSD?) by doing figure 8's for 20-30 minutes? Also, get the special additives for the LSD.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FLZ_Boy said:
Did you try to break-in the TRD (LSD?) by doing figure 8's for 20-30 minutes? Also, get the special additives for the LSD.

Yes, i did the breakin. I think it's Diff Chatter, i'm going to drain the oil and put new oil in along with the friction modifier to see if it goes away.

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
The friction modifier is only necessary with clutch type differentials. The stock torsen in most supras is not required to have this additive since its gear driven differential.

DP

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drained the diff oil and there were hardly any metal shavings so the ring and pinion are fine. I filled the diff with new oil along with redline friction modifier and it quieted the diff down real well. I probably have to do a few more figure 8's just for fun.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
next time you need it go to toyota. we use this stuff from Mopar (don't ask me why) in Tundras and Tacomas w/ LSDs. also my friend just put a 2 way cusco lsd in his car and it made all kinds of noise. after putting in 2 bottles of this stuff the noise was all gone and it ran great. i think it was like $5 a bottle (employee price) and he used 2, you might only need 1 since thats how much we put in the trucks and it works just fine.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
Where I can get this additive? red line friction modifier? it is not listed in their websites...

·
Registered
657 Posts
DWSUPRA said:
Where I can get this additive? red line friction modifier? it is not listed in their websites...
GM, Chevy parts counter. Ask for Limited Slip Differential additive. Easiest way to get it. I like the GM stuff. Works EXCELLENT.

·
Tuning focused...
561 Posts
I just removed the red line heavy shock proof oil and add in syn castrol 75w/90

NOISE IS GONE!! for the records, no any friction modifier added...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Millers do DIFF oil for the trd type, i have it in my TRD diff with no other additives and it is silent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
does the diff "klunk" when you put the car in gear???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts