Supra Forums banner

New turbo, or keep what I have..

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TrueGS300 
#1 ·
I have been considering upgrading my turbo to a better brand and possibly some trim changes. But I think my trim is decent for what I'm trying to do, just concerned about the cheap brand I have holding up. I have been noticing that "good" brands rate similar trim turbos around 800hp+ capable whereas my CXRacing one is only rated for 500hp. This is my current turbocharger: TRB-GT35-T4-68-RR.

I am close to completing my build and going in for tuning. I have upgraded everything from my last time around after blowing my engine. The only thing I'm still running is the same turbo. Now I have all this time and money wrapped up into this build and it just hit me.. I might want to upgrade this cheapo turbo before something bad happens. Besides, my goal is in the 800hp range now and the car is just going to see street use.

However, at just 8psi (my old waste-gate spring pressure), this turbo made well into low 400whp (somewhere close to 500bhp likely) already. It is in fine condition and no play. Wont it be able to put out a great deal more power once I turn up the boost? This is why I didn't consider upgrading till now. I figured there is a lot more I can get out of it.. Or will this thing detonate if I try to turn up the boost with it?

I cringe at how expensive a similar turbo is from Garrett, and other big names.. but can they really produce a turbo in the same sizes that makes hundreds and hundreds of more hp? Or is that just marketing hype? I could use suggestions for a "good" turbo that will safely support 800hp and wont brake the bank..

See less See more
#2 ·
I know people generally don't like BW turbo's, but I just put a S369SXE on my 13b engine. I paid like $140 for the 1.0 twin scroll turbine and another $600 for the supercore ($760 total).

I think a S366SXE can be found for even cheaper than that if you look around.

#3 ·
I think Borg Warner would be a heck of a lot better than a CXRacing turbo. I'm really not picky on the brand. Just want something better quality and rated for my power goals. Something good for street, strong mid range power. Anyone good with turbos know if the one I'm running is good for that? Size/trim-wise I mean. Wondering if I should even be looking in the same specs for an upgrade.

#4 ·
I have a S362SXE with a 0.91 AR twin scroll (76mm) turbine. The turbine has been machined to accept a 3" v-band clamp (no Marmon flange).

Its a 75 lb/min turbo which is good for about 750hp on a piston engine. Its the smallest of the 3 series from the BW SXE line. It has about 10k miles on it and works great, I just removed it to install a S369SXE turbo (95 lb/min). These turbo's are loud and sound awesome. I used it to push my little 13b to about 550 rwhp.

I would guess it flows 30% more air then your chinabay GT35.

PM if you are interested, I would let it go for cheap as it just sits on a shelf.

#5 ·
I decided the right turbo is worth the money and not something to cheap out on. Went with a Garrett GTX3582R GEN2 with a .82 A/R turbine. This thing is good for 900hp. And the worry about quality or holding up is no longer an issue. Part of my reasoning for this turbo is that it is the turbo my CXRacing GT35 is a replica of. So fitment will be exactly the same. Jut a major bump up in performance and quality. I also went from a .68 A/R turbine to the .82 making it substantially more capable for those big numbers, but still being a medium turbo it should be quick and hoping for little to no lag. I was thinking of a GT4088R, but I felt the 3582 will be more fun for daily use. Good low/mid range torque etc. Not just big numbers on the high end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.