Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the motor is a stock aristo swap, ebay manifold, tial wastegate with a borg warner s366 .88ar with a 67mm compressor wheel.. basically at idle i can watch the compressor wheel slow down to a complete stop (about ~850rpm) the turbo is brand new any ideas???

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
it's fukt....you should send it to me ;)

perfectly normal, I wouldn't worry about it....I have seen this quite a few times...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's fukt....you should send it to me ;)

perfectly normal, I wouldn't worry about it....I have seen this quite a few times...
Cool.. thanks! I was just worried that while the engine is running at low rpms with the turbo not spinning it would create problems or something?? i must say that one big single turbo from the twins is like night and day. right now im at .6 bar (wastegate spring) and im quite impressed.. with this size turbo im getting full boost right around 4k, no tuning with a walbro and high 11.7~12.5 afrs im pleased but need engine management and a tune.. if anyone else wants to comment on a problem similar to mine that would be great... Also what would i have to do to get more CFM's at idle... cams maybe? thanks guys!

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
Ive seen one do the same thing, and supposedly it was ok. You would think it would spin easy enough.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
id watch those afr's 12.2 starting to get scary there

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
yeah i know. it jumps sometimes, but i dont plan on driving/pushing it until i can get some sort of engine management..
engine managment isn't the issue...it's capacity

at a minimum, you need to scrap the walbro and install a stock supra turbo pump. That should help a little bit, but I'd also recommend some 720cc injectors...if you can't spring for 720's, some stock 550's would be fine up to about 18psi..
an safc should be fine for this setup as well

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
engine managment isn't the issue...it's capacity

at a minimum, you need to scrap the walbro and install a stock supra turbo pump. That should help a little bit, but I'd also recommend some 720cc injectors...if you can't spring for 720's, some stock 550's would be fine up to about 18psi..
an safc should be fine for this setup as well
then that is what i'll do. i keep hearing the same thing about the walbro/densothing, and honestly toyota did it right from the factory so denso it is... about the injectors and the safc, i was looking at a set of delphi ~70lb injectors with a map ecu or scrap the stock ecu for a haltech or something.... i just cant make up my mind..

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
then that is what i'll do. i keep hearing the same thing about the walbro/densothing, and honestly toyota did it right from the factory so denso it is... about the injectors and the safc, i was looking at a set of delphi ~70lb injectors with a map ecu or scrap the stock ecu for a haltech or something.... i just cant make up my mind..
the biggest advantage of the map ecu is to get rid of the maf...since you have a jdm motor fueling is already pressure based anyway so there aren't too many advantages. Domestic injectors are the way to go if you are going to do the entire fuel system. if you look around, you will find rail/ injector deals all the time on the forums. depending on your near term/ mid term hp goal, i'd probably build a fuel system around that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the biggest advantage of the map ecu is to get rid of the maf...since you have a jdm motor fueling is already pressure based anyway so there aren't too many advantages. Domestic injectors are the way to go if you are going to do the entire fuel system. if you look around, you will find rail/ injector deals all the time on the forums. depending on your near term/ mid term hp goal, i'd probably build a fuel system around that.
Absolutely great information thank you!! I have an aftermarket top feed fuel rail, soon to buy supra tt fuel pump, already have and installed aeromotive fuel pressure regulator i guess im just missing the injectors and the whatever fuel controller im going to use.. so you feel pretty strongly about the safc?? I just dont want to buy it to just upgrade it on down the road... or is this just how its done?? i believe 500 on pump will satisfy me this year.. if you dont mind, what in your mind would be an ideal, cost effective (no cheap) setup as far as fuel goes? And what's your setup consist of?

·
The "Tactileneck"
1,168 Posts
Just some food for thought.... You'd be amazed at how having the right oil pressure to the turbo, having the housing clocked straight up and down, manifold leaks, bad gaskets, return line size ... and several other things affect the free spin at idle. Not saying every turbo should spin at idle, I've seen both and yes it's normal for some. But I would be skeptical to just take "it's completely normal" and run with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just some food for thought.... You'd be amazed at how having the right oil pressure to the turbo, having the housing clocked straight up and down, manifold leaks, bad gaskets, return line size ... and several other things affect the free spin at idle. Not saying every turbo should spin at idle, I've seen both and yes it's normal for some. But I would be skeptical to just take "it's completely normal" and run with it.
thanks for your input... the turbo for sure is not straight up and down its definitely a little more on the diagonal side of things, im running an open downpipe and cant really hear if i have any exhaust leaks but im pretty sure i dont have any.. but ill consider what your saying and double check everything in the morning

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
Absolutely great information thank you!! I have an aftermarket top feed fuel rail, soon to buy supra tt fuel pump, already have and installed aeromotive fuel pressure regulator i guess im just missing the injectors and the whatever fuel controller im going to use.. so you feel pretty strongly about the safc?? I just dont want to buy it to just upgrade it on down the road... or is this just how its done?? i believe 500 on pump will satisfy me this year.. if you dont mind, what in your mind would be an ideal, cost effective (no cheap) setup as far as fuel goes? And what's your setup consist of?
sadly, I sold my car to tackle some other interests.
my fuel system was dual walbro's with 850cc injectors an aeromotive fpr and a titan rail...i ran a y in the tank with a single -8 feed which worked great.

i ran an HKS vpcII for fueling which all in all accomplishes the same thing as a vpc just more tailored to the car.

500whp on pump is pretty agressive. I would probably be a little more conservative than that. I would say on a stock ecu whatever you get at 16-18psi is as much as I'd want...(on pump)

The safcII is a very easy to use device. I had it for a while when i was still on the MAF. if you were on a VPC, I would be pushing the GCC by design they work very well together...in your case I would probably go with the safcII/ safc neo etc... until you decide to go stand alone...and when you do go stand alone, I would steer clear of AEM unless you have an auto and need the functionality...
back to the fuel system. I would keep the stock feed line and run a second -6 if my goals were greater than 500hp...if they were 500hp or less, I would keep the stock feed and run a single denso pump or possibly play with the bosch 044 pump. the stock feed line is capable of carrying more fuel than people give it credit for. the reason i would run a second line if i was going to dual feed is because the y in the tank is difficult and ultimately just adds more restriction..you also need another y at the other end.

more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sadly, I sold my car to tackle some other interests.
my fuel system was dual walbro's with 850cc injectors an aeromotive fpr and a titan rail...i ran a y in the tank with a single -8 feed which worked great.

i ran an HKS vpcII for fueling which all in all accomplishes the same thing as a vpc just more tailored to the car.

500whp on pump is pretty agressive. I would probably be a little more conservative than that. I would say on a stock ecu whatever you get at 16-18psi is as much as I'd want...(on pump)

The safcII is a very easy to use device. I had it for a while when i was still on the MAF. if you were on a VPC, I would be pushing the GCC by design they work very well together...in your case I would probably go with the safcII/ safc neo etc... until you decide to go stand alone...and when you do go stand alone, I would steer clear of AEM unless you have an auto and need the functionality...
back to the fuel system. I would keep the stock feed line and run a second -6 if my goals were greater than 500hp...if they were 500hp or less, I would keep the stock feed and run a single denso pump or possibly play with the bosch 044 pump. the stock feed line is capable of carrying more fuel than people give it credit for. the reason i would run a second line if i was going to dual feed is because the y in the tank is difficult and ultimately just adds more restriction..you also need another y at the other end.

more than one way to skin a cat.

well maybe ill give the safc a shot along with some bigger injectors and a denso pump and see what 18 psi brings.. the bosch pumps look good and on paper seem to flow well.. not to expensive either

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: well i began to notice a little bit of oil collecting on the the inlet of the compressor housing so i pulled off some of the intercooler piping and also there was oil there... i began to run down the list of possible problems, and the only one that made sense was that oil was building up inside the bearing housing and being pushed out the seals due to the kink i had in my drain line plus maybe my turbo sitting at a 45degree angle didn't help.. so i redid my drain to drain almost straight down, set my cartridge straignt up and down change my oil to full synthetic and to my surprise the turbo spins at idle (pretty fast too!) and does not stop, and after maybe a dozen of hard WOT pulls over the course of 5 hours not a lick of oil in the compressor housing!! i think we have a winner!!!!!!!! it just sucks that i didn't do it right the first time.......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good thing u fixed it. But thats weird, i know theres many ppl with the 45* drain lines, and Ive never heard of this frrom anyone.... Weird.........
i agree that its weird, but keep in mind that i had a pretty nice kink in my return line that i just decided to ignore. I just put it off as not that bad....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts