Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls, do you know whats a good turbo for the first turbo change from stock. i don't have any turbo psi controllers. I have had my car for 5 months and i have already blew the exhaust seal. So now at high RPM it makes a sweeking sounds and it blows out oil. I have been looking into the SP turbos. But changing to a very large turbo from stock, i think would be useless. I am also thinking of other upgrades but i don't know what i need and should start to get first. I have a FCD but thats about it. and 3' pipes all-around. I know i want to get a new turbo very soon so if you can help me out that would be great thanks for your time and help guys/girls.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you don't want to shell out money for a brand new turbo, you might want to look into a CT-26 upgrade from Performance Techniques. You can read up on the upgrade here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=107372

It doesn't sound like you are looking for huge amounts of boost; these upgraded turbos can push about 20psi or more, but of course you will need supporting mods such as fuel, etc. Also the upgrade is relatively pretty cheap. Hopefully you already have a full 3" exhaust, intake, and basic mods. Otherwise you will have to look into those before upgrading your turbo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iono if i want to fix my old turbo or get a new one. There are alot of threads out there saying that it is more prone to blowing within 20k of use... I want something to give me more boost and start boosting at 3-35K rpm. right now i don't have a controller. and i want to test the new turbo without it to see the difference with a stock controller. i was looking at the Sp turbos and i liked the 61(i think, it goes for 2k$$). but if the Ct26 upgrade is more stronger than people say then i wouldn't mind getting it upgraded. as of right now i am getting SPANKED by these WRX's. My brother has one and boy.... it's fast. So back to the turbo, Money isn't a problem. i would like something that less than 2k tho. So i can have money for other parts. Also whats a Lexus AFM ?? thanks for your help

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
you can run 12's easy with the stock CT-26, check out the thread in the MKIII technical section for more information.:D

3,796 Posts
If you upgrade to a larger than upgraded ct turbo you wont even be able to get it into its effiency range until you got proper fuel mods. I wouldnt run more than 12-14psi on the stock fuel system with a ct 26 so if your looking at SP turbos you'll be limited to 9-11psi.

A lexus afm is a shortcut around raising FC. It allows in unmetered air so the ECU thinks less air is coming into the engine which will cause it to run lean. Thats where 550cc injectors come in. The lex afm is about 25% bigger than stock and the 550cc injectors are bigger than stock so they tend to balance each other out. There are other ways also....e manage and a lex and your good for almost 400 crank hp on the stock injectors. You really just need to search and do A LOT of reading to understand how the ECU works and how to tune it.

It all boils down to upgraded turbos need fuel mods. :D

·
boost hungry
665 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
If you upgrade to a larger than upgraded ct turbo you wont even be able to get it into its effiency range until you got proper fuel mods. I wouldnt run more than 12-14psi on the stock fuel system with a ct 26 so if your looking at SP turbos you'll be limited to 9-11psi.

A lexus afm is a shortcut around raising FC. It allows in unmetered air so the ECU thinks less air is coming into the engine which will cause it to run lean. Thats where 550cc injectors come in. The lex afm is about 25% bigger than stock and the 550cc injectors are bigger than stock so they tend to balance each other out. There are other ways also....e manage and a lex and your good for almost 400 crank hp on the stock injectors. You really just need to search and do A LOT of reading to understand how the ECU works and how to tune it.

It all boils down to upgraded turbos need fuel mods. :D
just out of curiosity, how many mm's is the stock AFM and the Lex. AFM

·
Registered
523 Posts
stock is 25% smaller than the lexus.

lexus is 25% bigger than the stocker.

lexus was like 3.5"

3.5x25.4 =89mm
but don't take my word for it.

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
find the search button and do a bunch of research on 550's, lex, fuel cut, etc. then spend the beans on lex/550s/boost controller and eat up those wrx's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well with the turbo upgrade i am thinking of getting these parts with the turbo at once. Turbo(of course) Walbro 550 fule pump. 550 injecters, Greddy profec2 boost controller w/scrambler, Hks turbo timer, Hks/Greddy Plug and play Ecu,and Hks MHG 2mm stopper. is that the way to go? i also want some lag. i like that extreme kick in the butt. so i want a turbo that starts around 3kor 35k.

3,796 Posts
You WANT lag?! :rolleyes:

Do some reading.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I was just reading your thread, and honestly, you should do more reading before making a thread like this... If you good cheap power, then spend the money and upgrade the stock CT-26. You'll definitely to upgrade the fuel system to see the benefit. For that matter, you'll need to upgrade the fuel system for any turbo upgrade past the stock CT. The upgrade has been run with the stock fuel system, but I would upgrade for the margin of safety. Lastly, you mentioned that you wanted to make power without a boost controller. The stock internal wastegate and actuator can't boost the car much past 10-12 psi even with the upgraded CT, and that's nowhere near the real sweet spot of the upgraded CT-26. If you spend the money to get yourself this far, then spend an extra $200 and get a Profec B or something simple like it. At least then you can run 14-18 psi and really feel the power of the upgraded CT. You won't regret it.

- Hams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah i when i said that i didn't want a B/c, that was for a test. I want to see how much of a difference it would be after i upgrade or replace(to a bigger one) the turbo would make a difference. I want the Profec B - with a boost scrambler. and i am replacing the whole fuel system with Walbro 550 fuel pump. i am not to sure what size injectors i was thinking about the 440 or something like that. and if they make a fuel rail then i am gunna change that but i haven't see anyaround the internet (maybe i am not looking in the right places).

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
you car has 440's in it stock. 550's are the logical upgrade for your desires. Powerhouse Racing is running a group buy on an upgraded fuel rail as we speak, so you might want to jump on that one if you can. I think the GB is running $100 under the normal retail, but don't quote me on that, because it's late and that was off the top of my head. As for the boost controller, if you want to see the difference, you can just turn it off and run stock boost settings... You'll see a huge difference.

Good luck anyhow.

- Hams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well now i didn't know that they have 440's inside...well i know i have to get something bigger like a 550 with a 550 fuel pump. (please correct me if i am wrong). also is there a mainfold that will let me have 2 turbos ? did someone make one?

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
You want to run 550cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump... As for a twin CT26 manifold, turboboss claims to have made one, but not too many positive reports have been made about that company. You can make plenty of power with the CT if you want it. Easy to get into the 12's with it.

- Hams

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dude, just spend time and READ...By the sound of it, you'd be best off sticking with the stock turbo and modify gradually - Like I said, read and search alot and as you learn more, you can mod more..Really, by the sound of it you're not in a position to get a bigger turbo OR fuel upgrades right now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TurboRed90 said:
well now i didn't know that they have 440's inside...well i know i have to get something bigger like a 550 with a 550 fuel pump. (please correct me if i am wrong). also is there a mainfold that will let me have 2 turbos ? did someone make one?
Turbored90 go to socalsupras.com and meet some people from socal. Also check out sogi.com or supras.com to find basic info about the car you own.

Dominic in Northridge,CA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts