Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tranny from a 94 NA(t) I think. It has 120k miles on it. He says it's from a 94, but I figured it's a turbo since he now has a Getrag on it, so that puts his "it's never been raced or beat on" theory down.

Anyways, how do I externally check it's condition? The input "spline" or whatever and the output spline still has the grooves on them. I was also told to go through the gears to see if it shifts smoothly and if any gear is hard to get into, but the tranny didn't come with a shifter, so I'm gonna do that the next few days when I uninstall the one outta my car.

If you need more pictures to determine the condition (whether it's in good condition), please let me know. I was hesistant to buy this because this does have 120k on it and my car only has 48k.

Lastly I paid 250 for it, was it a reasonable price? I searched and came across this thread of a rebuilt W58 for 200 shipped a while back. But I kinda need a tranny in the meantime and this guy just had one, so I just took it.

It doesn't look like it's leaking any fluid, maybe I'm looking for it in the wrong places, so please tell me whereelse to take pictures (closeups).

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
WTF, that's not a W58? How can you tell? Also how is it diff then? I dunno, this guy advertised a "5 speed tranny from a 94 NA" I figured it's all W58.

How diff is it to get on? Is it weaker/stronger than the W58?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
This pic is a R154....

I think Michael did get a W58....anyone else wanna chime in?

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the one I bought:

This is the comparision (R154 on the left):

If you look at the lines going down on the bellhousing, mine has 5, just like the one on the right (W58). Anyone else wanna chime in? I heard the R154 is stronger and all, but I just want a plug and play application.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
i would have all the seals replaced.
it may cost more, but it will be a wise investment.

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brian_k03 said:
i would have all the seals replaced.
it may cost more, but it will be a wise investment.
I'm sorry, I'm not tranny savy. Can you save picture I posted, go into Paint, and like highlight what seal(s) you mean? Yea, while the tranny is out, I might order parts from Toyota and take care of this tranny. I plan to make it last longer (on low boost of course).

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yes, it's a W58. Since it's out you may as well put new seals in it, they are cheap. There isn't much you can do to test it other than to put it in the car and see if it works good. You can put a shifter in and put it in the gears....

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll prob be doing some exterior cleaning on this thing. In the first picture, you can see inside the bellhousing. It looks awfully dirty, is it ok if I clean that area with like detergent and stuff?

·
Registered
951 Posts
michaelvanle said:
I'll prob be doing some exterior cleaning on this thing. In the first picture, you can see inside the bellhousing. It looks awfully dirty, is it ok if I clean that area with like detergent and stuff?
yeah man. use this shit called "simple green". i've been using that for a while now and it works awesome. cleaned my whole engine bay this weekend with it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts