Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I got this from another site im just reposting word for word what the guy said )

Got this in an email today. May shed some light on how these cars are coming up missing with no broken glass or skid marks.

Subject: Fw: New Way to Steal Your Car

Subject: VIN # info

You would think the Dealerships would require
verification first.
(Naw -- They just want to "serve the customer"so they
can make a buck.)

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to
steal your car
or truck without any effort at all.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your
car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on
the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a
duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at
Chrysler Dodge and
pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just
bring in the VIN #,
and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could
order the keyless
device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a
duplicate key from the
VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will
return to your car. He
doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the
vehicle, or draw
atention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to
your car, insert
the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your
vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some
tape (electrical tape,
duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label
located on the
dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you
can cover it so
it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car
thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some
other car thief
steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
good find

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I really dont know why dealers are such lazy fuks with this. I thought there were actual policies that you need to follow to get a duplicate key?

Alex

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
This has been talked about already on this website. No shit anyone can walk up too your car and take a look at your Vin # and get a key cut. It just depends on which dealership will go ahead and cut it for them. Some dealers require you too bring in a drivers id and proof that you own that vehicle, some just dont.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in some states where this happends alot there hip to it but there are alot that may let it happen

·
shallow and pedantic
428 Posts
this isnt new at all, Sorry but this can even be a REPOST. usually the dealer would ask for papers but if they get lazy on you then ya your screwed.

S

·
0 Posts
a lot of dealers these days are also requiring the title or an insurance card (your insurance card will have your VIN on it). but the downside to that is anyone with a computer and some cardstock paper can fab up an insurance card.

S

·
0 Posts
Kristine.N said:
In texas you have to bring the title and your DL one reason why texas is a great state
because thieves don't mess with texas

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
yeah its definitely that easy, i have had a key cut at a honda dealer and didnt have to show them anything, just gave them the vin and got the key. I couldnt believe they didnt ask me for anything.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I would sue the dealership if that happened to me, or beat the living shit outa the one who let the key be cut.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
not that new, happened to me last year (refer to sig to see pics)

B

·
0 Posts
ahhhh i take comfort in knowing it takes more than having a key to steal my car. only way my car is getting stolen is if someone has my laptop, has the password to my laptop, and knows where i keep my aem ems files. :)

·
Hardtop >
1,139 Posts
Thanks for the heads up bro :bigthumb:

I always wondered if this method would work. The dealerships i have gone to make a key require the VIN number along with the registration and an I.D. to make a key, but every dealership is different and some are probably careless about these things. Ill be sure to cover up that VIN plate on my dash before i bring the car out of hibernation.

·
Registered
907 Posts
too bad that in ny the vin is on the registration sticker also. and if you have an alarm in the car, doesnt matter if you get a key.

Alarm (proximity, glass break and tilt senors with very sensitive motion sensor), kill switchs, and shaved door handles.... noones getting in my car without making some noise.

S

·
0 Posts
Boostinhard said:
ahhhh i take comfort in knowing it takes more than having a key to steal my car. only way my car is getting stolen is if someone has my laptop, has the password to my laptop, and knows where i keep my aem ems files. :)
lucky.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts