Supra Forums banner
1581 - 1600 of 1625 Posts

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Just brake bias and traction. People go with square setups (same size front and rear) to save money on tires, and use a spacer in the rear to keep them flush.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vorukanu

· Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
669 Posts
Is there a "golden rule" on the ratios or anything similar? For example would 9 front and 10 rear be worse than 8 front and 11 rear? Or 9.5 front and 10 rear?
For a street/road car.
OEM TT is 9.5 rear and 8" front. Toyota knew what they were doing so you can use that as a general starting point and keep that ratio. IE. 11" & 9.5", 10.5" & 9" front etc. Once the rears start hitting the 12"+ mark you probably wouldn't keep going wider on the front to try and match that ratio. Most people would probably tap out at a 9.5" or 10" front. As I said though, it's a starting point. An extra half inch, or even an inch variable outside of that is not necessarily a bad thing. I think your 8"/11" combo would ride like shit. That's a lot of tyre in the back with not a lot up front.

In the past I've always run a 9"/10" combo but if I could I would have liked an extra half an inch on the rear.

The wheels I'm currently looking at getting for mine are a 10" rear and an 8.5" front. I wouldn't call that perfect but even then, it's a subjective yardstick.

You really need to read through this thread (and the others like it) and do some on research on what people like to run. Use that information and form your own opinion on what you think is the best for you.

• Helpful

· Registered
68 Posts
OEM TT is 9.5 rear and 8" front. Toyota knew what they were doing so you can use that as a general starting point and keep that ratio. IE. 11" & 9.5", 10.5" & 9" front etc. Once the rears start hitting the 12"+ mark you probably wouldn't keep going wider on the front to try and match that ratio. Most people would probably tap out at a 9.5" or 10" front. As I said though, it's a starting point. An extra half inch, or even an inch variable outside of that is not necessarily a bad thing. I think your 8"/11" combo would ride like shit. That's a lot of tyre in the back with not a lot up front.

In the past I've always run a 9"/10" combo but if I could I would have liked an extra half an inch on the rear.

The wheels I'm currently looking at getting for mine are a 10" rear and an 8.5" front. I wouldn't call that perfect but even then, it's a subjective yardstick.

You really need to read through this thread (and the others like it) and do some on research on what people like to run. Use that information and form your own opinion on what you think is the best for you.
I am of the belief after hearing a couple of stories that wider fronts dont drive overly nicely once people have gone back to stock(ish) sizes. Are people fitting wider front tyres and wheels because they need them or because they are keeping a ratio ?

I know the chassis is different but there are modern supercars ( McLaren ) out there wit h very wide rears but still running 235 fronts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
My 265 in the front drive very well! Much better dan the OEM sizes.
A good alignment is key though. I'm running the Lance alignment with 19x9.5 (265) and 19x11 (295).
Better braking and steering feel. I have a lot more grip in the front than the OEM wheel/tire combo.
No tramlining at all.

Casper

· Registered
669 Posts
I am of the belief after hearing a couple of stories that wider fronts dont drive overly nicely once people have gone back to stock(ish) sizes. Are people fitting wider front tyres and wheels because they need them or because they are keeping a ratio ?

I know the chassis is different but there are modern supercars ( McLaren ) out there wit h very wide rears but still running 235 fronts
You can't really compare a Supra with a Supercar that has all it's weight in the back though. Apples and oranges. Supra's need a little more tyre up front than something that is mid/rear-engined as there's more weight over the front axle. But yes, when you do go wider (say a 10" or wider) there is a possibility of experiencing some tramlining.

It is of my belief that the Supra was under-tyred up front from factory so they do benefit from a bit more tyre. Keeping in mind that this is subjective and depending on a myriad of suspension variables but I am of the thinking that something like a 255 or 265 is perfect for the Supra (up front).

Reactions: Nick 95 6sp

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Just brake bias and traction.
Was watching this video, and immediately thought about this question, and just wanted to reflect on the traction part. Go to the 13 minute mark or so, and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes less is more. Pretty good video regardless, local track is similar to this one :) I think it's the oldest sanctioned one in the country.

· Registered
669 Posts
Was watching this video, and immediately thought about this question, and just wanted to reflect on the traction part. Go to the 13 minute mark or so, and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes less is more. Pretty good video regardless, local track is similar to this one :) I think it's the oldest sanctioned one in the country.
Damn that's sketchy. Certainly has me questioning my desire to have the widest tyre on my rim (partly due to aesthetics I'll admit) when I'm limited to what I can squeeze up front.

Interested on your thoughts. I'm going to RPF1's which are 8.5" and 10".

I was looking at a 285/35/18 for the rear and a 255/35/18 for the front. I know the rears will be fine but the 255's are probably slightly oversized for the front. Should I perhaps instead look at a 245/40?

...and if I do that will the size between front and rear be too drastic that I should look at dropping down to a 275 on the rear?

I was considering a 295/30 as I've seen them on this wheel before and I thought they looked sweet but was thinking a 285/35 would hook up better with more sidewall. I was also concerned that the front and rear would be too much of a mismatch.

The below is a 295/30 rear and a 265/35 front which I think looks fantastic (but aesthetics aren't a priority here).
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm sure there's a combination of compound, width, etc. that suits each setup and driving style. I just don't know what they all are, doubtful anyone does unless they repeatedly test their own use case over and over. For me, it's a street car first, and I want as much rubber as I can get. I figure it's easier to take traction out of the car by starting at the largest sizes possible and going from there. Also comes down to tire availability or sizing sometimes. A slight change in size could result in a lack of adequate compounds, or no tires being available at all, or more expensive, etc.

· Registered
11 Posts
I am looking at getting the Enkei NT03+M wheels. I did some searching on this forum and there seems to be some conflicting answering. I plan to get 18x8.5 with 38 offset for the front and 18x9.5 with 40 offset for the rear. Front tires will be 255/35 and Rear will be 285/35. The front does have stoptech brakes (I believe 6 pistons) the rear has stock TT brakes that came on USDM supras. Sitting on HKS Hypermax IV coilovers. Would I need any fender rolling/cutting/pulling modifications done?

The car currently is sitting on Avid AV06 wheels (18x8.5 +35 for the front with 255/35 tires and 18x9.5 +38 for the rear with 285/35 tires). The body is stock with no fender modifications. Btw I only bought the car a month ago and it is currently in storage for the winter

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
I am looking at getting the Enkei NT03+M wheels. I did some searching on this forum and there seems to be some conflicting answering. I plan to get 18x8.5 with 38 offset for the front and 18x9.5 with 40 offset for the rear. Front tires will be 255/35 and Rear will be 285/35. The front does have stoptech brakes (I believe 6 pistons) the rear has stock TT brakes that came on USDM supras. Sitting on HKS Hypermax IV coilovers. Would I need any fender rolling/cutting/pulling modifications done?

The car currently is sitting on Avid AV06 wheels (18x8.5 +35 for the front with 255/35 tires and 18x9.5 +38 for the rear with 285/35 tires). The body is stock with no fender modifications. Btw I only bought the car a month ago and it is currently in storage for the winter
Pics of the car and its fitment?

Also, wont your new prefered +38s be tucked in more than the currently installed +35s that are about (in theory, would be nice if you could confirm) 1cm in? So they will go in from roughly 1cm, to 1.5cm inside?

· Registered
1,991 Posts

Should fit fine, just not sure about the brake caliper clearance in the front. Might need a spacer. As is, both front and rear will clear pretty well, about half an inch sunk, so will clear fender liner.

Pics of the car and its fitment?

Also, wont your new prefered +38s be tucked in more than the currently installed +35s that are about (in theory, would be nice if you could confirm) 1cm in? So they will go in from roughly 1cm, to 1.5cm inside?
Offset is measured in mm, so just a 3mm difference in 'tuck' between old and new.

· Registered
669 Posts

I wouldn't go the 9.5" +40. Instead I'd swap that out for the 9.5" +27. The +40 IMO are way too conservative and will sink into the guards too much. The +27 should fit without any issues and is still conservative enough that you won't need to roll your guards. It 'might' need a slight roll as you're running oversized rubber but it will be close. There's a good chance they'll be fine.

The 8.5" fronts you're looking at will clear BBK and will be fine. They're a pretty 'safe' sizing. I have seen some people go up to the 9.5" +27 on the front too with this wheel but it is a touch aggressive and will need a 1mm spacer to clear the factory BBK. This wheel/offset does clear no issues on most aftermarket BBK. If you look up mkv.trvn on instagram you can see how it looks as he runs a square 9.5" +27 set-up. User mk4_zach (on insta) used to run the same square set-up and runs after market 6 pots up front FYI.

If you want (keeping in mind that you will need to cut/roll your guards) you could also run a 10" +30 on the rear. They are a bit aggressive but they do look quite nice. I'd probably then run the 9.5" +40 on the front (but I don't know the brake clearance on those so it would need some further research).

v.borinskikh (again on instagram) has 10.5" +38 and 8.5" +35 if you want to see how that combo looks. You will absolutely need to roll your guards for those rears and probably wouldn't want to go wider than the 285's you currently have. Does look good though.

· Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't go the 9.5" +40. Instead I'd swap that out for the 9.5" +27. The +40 IMO are way too conservative and will sink into the guards too much. The +27 should fit without any issues and is still conservative enough that you won't need to roll your guards. It 'might' need a slight roll as you're running oversized rubber but it will be close. There's a good chance they'll be fine.

The 8.5" fronts you're looking at will clear BBK and will be fine. They're a pretty 'safe' sizing. I have seen some people go up to the 9.5" +27 on the front too with this wheel but it is a touch aggressive and will need a 1mm spacer to clear the factory BBK. This wheel/offset does clear no issues on most aftermarket BBK. If you look up mkv.trvn on instagram you can see how it looks as he runs a square 9.5" +27 set-up. User mk4_zach (on insta) used to run the same square set-up and runs after market 6 pots up front FYI.

If you want (keeping in mind that you will need to cut/roll your guards) you could also run a 10" +30 on the rear. They are a bit aggressive but they do look quite nice.

v.borinskikh (again on instagram) has 10.5" +38 and 8.5" +35 if you want to see how that combo looks. You will absolutely need to roll your guards for those rears and probably wouldn't want to go wider than the 285's you currently have. Does look good though.
Thanks for the input! I think I will go for the 9.5" +27 for the rear for sure! 10.5" will def look nice, but I am trying to avoid having to do any fender modifications if possible.

I reached out to mk4_zach and from the pics he sent me, it looks like he was running 9.5" +40 all around (with 265/35 tires). Would you recommend 9.5" +40 for the front rather than 9.5" +27?

· Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for the input! I think I will go for the 9.5" +27 for the rear for sure! 10.5" will def look nice, but I am trying to avoid having to do any fender modifications if possible.

I reached out to mk4_zach and from the pics he sent me, it looks like he was running 9.5" +40 all around (with 265/35 tires). Would you recommend 9.5" +40 for the front rather than 9.5" +27?
A 9.5 +40? My apologies, I thought he ran the same as @mkv.trn.

9.5"+40 would be be a better offset for the front IF you can assure they will clear your calipers. That's the only unknown I have on those.

· Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
177 Posts
v.borinskikh (again on instagram) has 10.5" +38 and 8.5" +35 if you want to see how that combo looks. You will absolutely need to roll your guards for those rears ...
Ooooo thanks for this! I was planning on going for a 18x8.5 +24, and 18x10.5 +36. Nice to see some similar numbers in photos.
Do you @iwantablackRZ & @signalpuke think that my numbers will clear (future) BBKs and not need rolling - while also being close to flush without spacers? If you have an adjustment suggestion, feel free to add it in.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
They'll be flush without spacers, will need fender roll if going aggressive with tire size. Not sure about BBK clearance, that usually depends on the design of the face of the rims, and they're all different. You have to check whether there are "high/low disk" options or not.

· Wheel Fitment Guru
4,892 Posts

If you want (keeping in mind that you will need to cut/roll your guards) you could also run a 10" +30 on the rear. They are a bit aggressive but they do look quite nice.

@Radride looking through a lot of the previous posts, you seem to be an expert with wheel fitment. Any input/advice here?
I was trying to send this as a DM, but I can't figure out how to do that...
A +27 on a 9.5" in the rear will require a fender roll. No way getting around it. A 10.5" +38 will require a rear roll. Let me know what wheels you're looking at and I will advise.

R.K.

1581 - 1600 of 1625 Posts