Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys as you can See by the topic name I am new to owning a Supra. My best Freind decided after some long hard thinking and a nice monitary offering to sell me His supra. I have loved this car since he bought it. And the day he killed it was a sad day for us both. He now has a 92 MR2 turbo so i offerd Him 800 for the supra and he said "oh cool i needed that for a new turbo". So now i have a 88 Supra Turbo Targa In need of some SERIOUS attn. My first beef is the engine, Im positive that its a BHG all the signs are their but the engine also has about 120k miles on it. The question im really asking myself is Should i just buy another 7mgte and swap it or try to have this one rebuilt. My knowledge on engines is very slim So i would havta Find someone local that could rebuild this engine, And that wouldent be to easy as i live in some what a back-water area. So swap or not? Price wise im not sure witch one would be better as i am working with somewhat of a budget . Thanx ~Uplink

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
If you bought another used engine, it would be advisable to do an MHG job on it anyway while you can. So as long as everything else in your current engine is fine, just put a MHG on that one and be done with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of that as well but thier could be other problems Started by the BHG as he put off changing it till it finaly blew, I also know that the engine has a metal head gasket already but the original owner Reused the stock headbolts so it blew, So im simi afriad that the head maybe warped due to longterm overheating

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also i should note the final compression test we did we got 120 for the #1 and 40 for the #6

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
bhg for sure

might have possible ring problems.

at 120k the engine is actually still relatively new but a rebuild is always a good thing :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well by next year i intend to be pushing around 500hp on the engine in this vehicle. Im spending ALOT on the body so to be right im spending alot next year on the engine but first i need to get it running as my other daily driver has died SO. How could i tell if i had ring problems. Also How hard is the Head gasket change, I live in Southwest louisiana so its hard to find trustworth mechanics.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
uplink said:
well by next year i intend to be pushing around 500hp on the engine in this vehicle. Im spending ALOT on the body so to be right im spending alot next year on the engine but first i need to get it running as my other daily driver has died SO. How could i tell if i had ring problems. Also How hard is the Head gasket change, I live in Southwest louisiana so its hard to find trustworth mechanics.
I'd do the rebuild, it's not hard. Just follow the TSRM (Toyota Service and Repair Manual) and you'll be fine. the HG is not too hard to change and you can even do it with the engine in the car and just pull the head, but if your head/block is warped then you have to have machine work done to fix it and that might be expensive. Also, if you put on a MHG (metal head gasket) then you DEFINITELY need to have the head and block machined. Also, get yourself some ARP studs.

It's hard to figure out if you have bad rings with the BHG, but typically what you'd do is do the compression test and then add a bit of oil to the cylinder and if the compression goes up, you have bad rings.

In your case, I would do a rebuild. Pull the engine out and disassemble it, then send the head and the block to a machine shop. Get yourself a gasket set (probably about $150 off ebay) and order a MHG (search here for more info) and some new rings. If you're really going for 500hp, this would be a good time to get some new bearings as well. you don't need expensive aftermarket parts, the stock parts will support 500hp just fine (exception: headgasket. get a MHG). just make sure that everything in your engine is in good shape

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i changed my own head gasket outside on my street. as long as you take pics and good notes as you go you can do it, it only took me 20 work hours and ive never done anything that in depth on an engine before. i got an estimate from a mechanic and it was $2,000, another mechanic just said no.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahymq2 said:
i changed my own head gasket outside on my street. as long as you take pics and good notes as you go you can do it, it only took me 20 work hours and ive never done anything that in depth on an engine before. i got an estimate from a mechanic and it was $2,000, another mechanic just said no.

was that for a full rebuild?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
2000 from a mechanic is avg for a BHG job. not a rebuild.. thats also using a stock composite gasket.. if u wanna get them to do a MHG your going to pay a lot more because they have to pull the block and get it machined.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
LOL! $2000 for a bhg! That is a ridiculous price. If you have all the right tools, you can do it in 2 days. I did it on a weekend... it was hell, but I finished it. lol.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
lol im not saying i would pay it. but thats what youll most likely get charged going to a shop. theres an entire write up on how to do it along with what tools... all depends on how confident u are that it will all go back together properly :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was in the same decison as you except i had 2 broke rod bearings. A full rebuilt was going to cost me $2k plus with labor. so i went with a jdm 7mgte , then i did the mhg, apr head studs, machined crank, and new rod bearings.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
2K is fuckin insane, you can get a fairly low mile 7MGTE with some work done to it including a MHG for that price easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flea420 said:
2K is fuckin insane, you can get a fairly low mile 7MGTE with some work done to it including a MHG for that price easy.

thats what im saying while im changing the Head gasket how hard would it be to change the pistons and the rings?

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
I took the head off my red car with 1 3/8 ratchet 1 extension and a set of sockets it was a bitch but it can be done. I would take the head off if it anyways, If it looks good in there put a headgasket on it if not think about your options if you wanna rebuild it or if you wanna buy a new motor.

taking the head off helps you get a better idea of what your working with.

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
Do you have to drain coolant/oil before you take head off? I assumed you could wait until new hg is on and done then drain/refill after you finish the install am I correct?
eric

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
uplink said:
thats what im saying while im changing the Head gasket how hard would it be to change the pistons and the rings?
I have never done that kinda work, but I do think you would at that point be best pulling the motor to do that.

I would pull the head, see whats up, if it looks bad, either rebuild of replace, either way, make sure that gasket a torqued a bit tighter then OEM specs.

Or, you could put it off awhile, save some money.... go 1J.... :nervous:

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
$2k for a BHG? HOTDAYUM, man whoever pays that much is getting raped royally! Thank god for Christian, he only charged me about $800 which included the price of parts and ARP Studs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts