Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is compeltely a newb question but I understand the important of running premium gas in a turbo supra or something of that caliber but can i run just regular gas in an is300? I'm looking at picking one up and I assume it will recommend premium but I was hoping with gas prices how they are I could just run regular ol piss gas.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
I'm pretty sure Lexus "recommends" premium fuel for all their cars, but unless you plan on any serious tuning, I would imagine you could run 87 in it.

BTW, great forum for the IS...

http://my.is/forums/

:)

·
Nothing
1,491 Posts
I'd recommend mid grade if you can't afford premium. I always ran premium in my Is300, but i did try it a few times with low grade and did notice the difference.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Yup, if you can afford the car, you should be able to afford some decent gas too.
;)

You will notice a difference, more so if you add any performance upgrades. My friend has a GTI 1.8T chipped for 93 octane (kind of a no-brainer). He thought he could get away with lesser gas and the car ran like crap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It says to run premimum so why risk it. I believe the regular would not be good with the vvt-i. Of course with modern engines they'll sense the knock before the engine goes.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I never put premium in mine. But I can tell a difference when I put in the 93 or the 89. I run that cheap shit in mine. Does seem a little quicker and smoother with the higher grade stuff but 3.20 is fucking nuts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Why did you buy an IS300 ? You can't afford the < $150 yearly difference by feeding it some premium vs regular? :nuts:

·
Registered
13 Posts
my dad put 87 in my IS once. i could definitely feel the difference as it felt sluggish and definitely some "knock". id recommend against it

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Why did you buy an IS300 ? You can't afford the < $150 yearly difference by feeding it some premium vs regular? :nuts:
Word. This question *always* comes up on the IS300 forums and I never understood how you'd buy an IS and then skimp on gas. Penny wise and pound foolish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts