Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys-

In the spirit of "there are no stupid questions", here goes . . .

How do I remove the grill covers on my stock speakers in my '94 TT and remove the stocks? What size fits perfect in front and in rear? I've blown the driver's side, so it's upgrade time!!! HELP! :eek:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
front door panal & speaker removal!
1.remover (4)scres along the bottom of the door panal
2 remove(2)screw caps from the front edge of the door panal and remove the screws behind
3.remove (1)push pin style fastner from the front edge of the door panal
4.extract (1)screw from the trim ring around the door pull handle and door lock. remove
5.extract(1)screw from uper front corner of the cavity
6.remove(1)screw cap from the arm rest and extract the screw behnd it
7.remove(3)push pin connectors from the rear edge of the door panal
8.pull upward and outward to remove the door panal
9.extract(3)screws to remove speakers from the enclosure unplug and remove speaker

now thw front speaker is a 5" and you can upgrad to a 61/2" with a little moding best of luck !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front door panal & speaker removal!
1.remover (4)scres along the bottom of the door panal . . .
Thanks for the details! I'll go to work and see what comes of it. Looking to upgrade my factories (because one has blown!) to something with little more power. Down to Xtant, Quarts, Eclipse. Any thoughts anyone?
:rolleyes:

·
10,459 Posts
quarts or ploks are good too

·
0 Posts
I personally hate quarts. There tweeters are to brite and the mid- bass is lacking Tell me what your budget is and ill lead to some better speakers, such as Focals, dynaudio, Rainbow, Diamond audio ect...

·
Registered
248 Posts
While I agree with the anti-Quart sentiment, I have to respectfully disagree with the comment about lack of midbass. I recently listened to a set of PSC-316's in a Boxster with the 4/tweet in the dash and the six in the door. The midbass (and bass) was absolutely amazing. I know the installer who did the job and he's adament about the Quarts having a solid enclosure behind them. Granted, as was alluded to, the tweeters were attenuated and a bit of equalization was used. The system really did sound quite nice and the tuning really smoothed out the "Quart edge". I too have been anti-Quart for the last decade, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the same system in my Supra since it won't require hacking up the door. The only drawback I see to the 3 way system is the 350 Hz x-over point - I'd like to see it closer to 250 Hz for my application so I may have to modify it once the install is done. Back in the day when I used to really be into this stuff (I competed w/ my Camaro and my M3), I had a similar setup in my Camaro. I'm typically against anything other than a sub being placed behind the listener, but a 250 Hz upper limit w/ a 12 db slope seemed to work pretty darn well and didn't jack with imaging. Of course, this was A) in a 1990 Camaro w/ a perfectly flat dash, and B) was with all Boston Pro speakers.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how the setup works out.

SP

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell me what your budget is and ill lead to some better speakers, such as Focals, dynaudio, Rainbow, Diamond audio ect...
Tom- I saw your response to Yeagy on his "Best 5.25 set-up . . ." question, so I know this is going to cost me a little bit. I'm looking at Polk 5.25 components with 1" tweets and 6.5 coaxials for the rear. I need an Amp that would push this set-up along with a 10" Cerwin Vega woof in the trunk. What are your thoughts? Are there better speaker solutions for comparable monies? What are your suggestions for a quality amp at a reasonable $ for the set-up? I'm not looking to compete, just crank it (with no distortion or "rattling") with the lid out on the way to the lake on the weekends! ;)

Thanks for any help you could give!

·
0 Posts
Well, if you can give me the price you want to spend and exactly what you want out of it then ill help you out as much as i can. I would get a 4 channel amp and run the front two channel on a pair of Compnents, and the other two channels will be bridged to run a sub. This can be done very nicely, but i need to get an idea of what you want to spend. Alos, what headunit are you using. That plays a factor

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This can be done very nicely, but i need to get an idea of what you want to spend. Alos, what headunit are you using. That plays a factor
I've got an Alpine 3DA-W882 head unit. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 500-700 for a 1200-1500 system. ;)

Thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
FYI, the factory door speakers are 4". You mentioned putting in 5.25". Making a trim ring, and cutting/fiberglassing the factory enclosure is the nice way to make a 5.25" or 6.5" fit. It's a pretty detailed process. I just got done doing it for my diamond hex 6.5 inchers. If you're trying to stay at a more modest, do it yourselfer setup, I would recommend finding a nice 4" and tweet combo. It would be a simple screw-in install. BTW, the 6.5" screw right in to the rear enclosures. Well, almost. I had to heat up the rear of the plastic enclosure, and bump it out slightly to clear the magnet. Good luck with your install whatever you go with :)

T

·
0 Posts
You guys ever hear of Boston Acustics?? I have the 6.5 Pro Series in my car they sound awesome.

·
10,459 Posts
BA are great also almost forgot about them!
Originally posted by Tito G.:
<STRONG>You guys ever hear of Boston Acustics?? I have the 6.5 Pro Series in my car they sound awesome.</STRONG>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts