Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still a Newb, and need some info on single Turbo's. If a person doesn't care about the Turbo lag, and he just wants a raw, powerfull Turbo that makes killer power, what size should he be looking for?

Also, would having a larger Turbo make more power at a certain boost level (call it 18#'s of boost for example) compared to a smaller Turbo at the same boost level, given the rest of the mods on the car are the same?

· Registered
3,519 Posts
I am still a Newb, and need some info on single Turbo's. If a person doesn't care about the Turbo lag, and he just wants a raw, powerfull Turbo that makes killer power, what size should he be looking for?

Also, would having a larger Turbo make more power at a certain boost level (call it 18#'s of boost for example) compared to a smaller Turbo at the same boost level, given the rest of the mods on the car are the same?
GT4788R (most commonly used I guess) of course there is bigger. Of course we are talking built motor, full standalone, cams, full fuel.

Yes a bigger turbo will usually make more power given the same mods

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definatly understand the need for a fully upgraded fuel system, and I can also understand the standalone, cams would also be done as well, but I didn't know the motor would need to be "built" for it.

What specifically is the weak spot? What needs to be changed to handle a Turbo of that size? I guess I am used to seeing stock short blocks handle a shload of power without changing anything.

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other key thing for me is getting the max WHP on pump gas (93 octane) and the help of methanol/water injection. In other words, I don't want to run race gas.

Given that the motor will be built, and all the supporting mods are done, such as the fuel system, full standalone system, methanol/water injection, tune, ect.; how much power can be made safely off of a large single turbo such as the GT4788R?

· V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
1,481 Posts
The other key thing for me is getting the max WHP on pump gas (93 octane) and the help of methanol/water injection. In other words, I don't want to run race gas.

Given that the motor will be built, and all the supporting mods are done, such as the fuel system, full standalone system, methanol/water injection, tune, ect.; how much power can be made safely off of a large single turbo such as the GT4788R?
The bigger you go the more dangerous it can get. The most danger comes from the amount of PSI you are running with your turbo. I don't think you should run a GT4788 on a stock block. Why not start lower and move up slowly?

Also, with meth injection there is a possibility of failuer as well. Make sure you go with a high end brand like aquamist or snow performance. Those kits usually come with better equipment and fail safes. It's a little pricey but well worth it to [revent you from popping your motor.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
how much wheel horsepower are you wanting?

Once you decide that,there are tons of options,and tons of people on here who have tried just about every turbo set up possible!

as far as a stock motor, a GT74 would be about the biggest turbo I would put on it,you can get 800+ rear wheel horsepower out of it

· Registered
13,982 Posts
...much power can be made safely off of a large single turbo such as the GT4788R?

Look around in the dyno section for results with that size and similar turbos.

G

·
Call911:

Are you absolutely sure that you dont care about lag? If you are seriously looking for the max power that you can get out of a single, there is roughly 3k or so of RPM'S that are actually usuable horsepower. I think you might want to reconsider this as a midsize turbo is a much better range for overall power. When you go single, you build your setup around the turbo that you want, not the other way around. So if you built a motor around a 67 or 71 DBB, I find it extremely hard to believe that you would be unsatisifed with the result. You say raw power, well honestly, if you think that a 600 daily driven 3.0 with a build built for midrange rpm's wouldn't be raw power and alot of fun, you might want to rethink your options. Alot of people go HUGE turbos then find out that they really dont want 800whp of tire squelching fury. Rather they would prefer something much more mild for a single with horsepower that gets you somewhere instead of sideways. Just some things to consider.

Jon

· Registered
942 Posts
First, A larger turbo will make more power at the same PSI than a smaller because the larger turbo flows more CFM (volume) than the smaller. PSI is just purely pressure.

I wouldn't suggest building your motor until you pass the 7-750rwhp mark. It is almost pointless. The stock internals have and can hold around 1000rwhp however past the 7-750rwhp I personally would say it's starting to be pushed.

With a 4788R you will definitely need to build the motor as well as the entire head. Only thing I would suggest is to throw a 67mm on the car first and see how you like it and get a feel for it. The entire idea of 1000rwhp is great and all, but it also takes alot of time to get used to those power levels as well as power curves. Jump into the car at those HP levels or even close to, without knowing the car or the power curves, trouble will follow.

A 67mm can make around 600 on pump at about 20pnds, and close to 700 around 30pnds.

Be safe, have fun!

Jimmy

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great inputs guys. Being a newb can sometimes have posts that get hasty replies, and I really appreciate the level of prefessionalism everyone has displayed.

I am a newb to the Supra world, but not a newb for HP and cars. I currently have another car with 614 RWHP, and love it to death, and it is setup perfectly for traction even in 1st gear with that power. But I want my Supra to be un-Godly powerfull, and having a bit of lag won't bother me. Now, if it starts getting to a rediculous point where only 2k of RPM is actually in the boost, then that may be too excessive, but its more important to me to achieve the power level I am looking for.

Ideally I would like to put down somewhere in the 800-900 WHP level. But, I don't want to run race gas. It would be ideal to have as little lag as possible past that though, so if I could build a motor to help with the power levels of running say a 74mm turbo, and still achieve 850 WHP, then I would be more than happy.

BTW, my other car has a Snow Performance methanol injection setup, and I am really happy with how it performs. The Snow Performance kit has a couple of failsafe's that can help keep you safe if for whatever reason something were to go wrong. I will most likely be using Snow Performance again with the Supra.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Thanks for all the great inputs guys. Being a newb can sometimes have posts that get hasty replies, and I really appreciate the level of prefessionalism everyone has displayed.

I am a newb to the Supra world, but not a newb for HP and cars. I currently have another car with 614 RWHP, and love it to death, and it is setup perfectly for traction even in 1st gear with that power. But I want my Supra to be un-Godly powerfull, and having a bit of lag won't bother me. Now, if it starts getting to a rediculous point where only 2k of RPM is actually in the boost, then that may be too excessive, but its more important to me to achieve the power level I am looking for.

Ideally I would like to put down somewhere in the 800-900 WHP level. But, I don't want to run race gas. It would be ideal to have as little lag as possible past that though, so if I could build a motor to help with the power levels of running say a 74mm turbo, and still achieve 850 WHP, then I would be more than happy.

BTW, my other car has a Snow Performance methanol injection setup, and I am really happy with how it performs. The Snow Performance kit has a couple of failsafe's that can help keep you safe if for whatever reason something were to go wrong. I will most likely be using Snow Performance again with the Supra.
Just an FYI, the amount of meth you will need to keep a 3.0L motor from detonating at 850rwhp running 93 octane is probably going to be more than the amount of gasoline you are injecting. You're looking at at least 2 M15 nozzles and probably 2 pumps to keep up with that demand. At that level, I would at least consider a direct port meth setup. You'll also need a relatively large tank for the volume of meth that motor will eat. That may introduce some safety concerns as the only place to fit a tank that large will be in the hatch area.

Essentially, your primary fuel system under boost will become your meth injection setup. This of course adds complexity and another failure point and thats what scares alot of people away (even though there are some great failsafes on the market now). You don't really see it much beyond ~600rwhp in the Supra community. You may want to poke around on www.turbobuick.com as the concept is the same (big power, little motor) but more of those guys seem to be taking the chance and stepping up to the dual nozzle 700+hp setups.

· Registered
942 Posts
personally i doubt you're going to get that kind of power of of pump gas. You're not talking a V8 here, just a little ol' 3.0L.

with a 74mm you're going to need to run around 30pnds of boost, and on pump, dont think that motor will last very long :-\ sorry

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an FYI, the amount of meth you will need to keep a 3.0L motor from detonating at 850rwhp running 93 octane is probably going to be more than the amount of gasoline you are injecting. You're looking at at least 2 M15 nozzles and probably 2 pumps to keep up with that demand. At that level, I would at least consider a direct port meth setup. You'll also need a relatively large tank for the volume of meth that motor will eat. That may introduce some safety concerns as the only place to fit a tank that large will be in the hatch area.

Essentially, your primary fuel system under boost will become your meth injection setup. This of course adds complexity and another failure point and thats what scares alot of people away (even though there are some great failsafes on the market now). You don't really see it much beyond ~600rwhp in the Supra community. You may want to poke around on www.turbobuick.com as the concept is the same (big power, little motor) but more of those guys seem to be taking the chance and stepping up to the dual nozzle 700+hp setups.
personally i doubt you're going to get that kind of power of of pump gas. You're not talking a V8 here, just a little ol' 3.0L.

with a 74mm you're going to need to run around 30pnds of boost, and on pump, dont think that motor will last very long :-\ sorry

Perhaps my goals for my RWHP level are too high for wanting to stay on pump gas and methanol injection. :sad:

I am not one to run a car on something if it won't be reliable or I won't be able to do it for any extended period of time. This brings me to my next question; so what is the max I could SAFELY run with pump gas and the methanol injection? Is 750 RWHP too much to do on methanol as well do you think with a large single Turbo?

· wastegate hose is pulled
4,779 Posts
What is wrong with race gas? It is alot SAFER to make power on than pump and or pump and meth. It is very nessicary with a smaller engine making big engine power.

Just want to understand the mentality here, see more and more people trying to avoid race gas like the plague.

· Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
5,724 Posts
Stock engine is good for a 67-71mm turbo or about 700 rwhp. After that you need to build the engine. 88mm turbo is good for over 1000rwhp so you will need it built....
I have seen many-a-stock engine handle 74 and 76 through X-trims. I see one every day when I walk into my garage :agreed:

The info on this thread rocks BTW :bigthumb:

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is wrong with race gas? It is alot SAFER to make power on than pump and or pump and meth. It is very nessicary with a smaller engine making big engine power.

Just want to understand the mentality here, see more and more people trying to avoid race gas like the plague.
I want to be able to run the large HP level whenever on the street. Meaning I will need fuel, or methanol injection on demand to help support that always. To fill the gas tank each time with race gas is not only expensive, it can be a large incovienience, let alone more than difficult to find at every gas station. Methanol injection is only used while in the actual boost, so it will last MUCH longer, and also will cost overall a fraction of the price. This is why I want to stay with the methanol injection over the race gas.

· Lag > Boost
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back to the original question;

So it looks like I will need something larger than a 67mm Turbo. So will a 74mm Turbo (along with the supporting mods) get me past the 800 RWHP mark? Or will it require something more along the lines of a GT4788R?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.