Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi :) im currently looking for a 98 supra rz

me and many other supra newbie owners have questions..

1) what is good about Twin turbo ?

2) why do people convert to single turbo?

3) I've head it's Really easy to pull 500bhp from a supra for just $2,000 ? but what about 900hp? i wanna create a supra Drag and track racer.

Thanks heaps for your help guys :)

i appreciate your help with a supra newbie like me :)

your comments are welcome! :)

- Sammy :D

·
Acura Driver
45 Posts
Sequential twins like on the Supra are good because they can provide a more linear power delivery/boost curve than a big single. The first turbo (smaller than the second) spools earlier and provides boost in the mid rpm range. The second turbo, which is a little larger than the first, spools at a higher rpm, but is able to provide more boost than the first.

People convert to a large single because they are able to deliver much more high rpm boost and power, even if they do not spool as quickly.

You will definitley want to learn a lot more about the car before you just go buy one and turn it into a "drag and track racer"... which are somewhat mutually exclusive by the way. 900 hp is neither easy, nor cheap, and involves much more than just slapping on a T-72. Good luck.

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Hmmm....i believe BOTH the turbos are the same size(both the first and second turbos).

The first one comes in first,and then at about 4000rpm a valve/flap opens up and let some gas flow to the second turbo making it start spinning,causing a boost rush at about 4200-4500rpm,thats why it feels like the second turbo is bigger but its not.Its just that there are 2 turbos now on full blast,insted of one.

The sequential system i think is good for the city and very zippy around town,with not much lag,but if you want a drag car,then a big single will be the way to go.
You can go bigger twins,but then youll still get lag and pay twice as much then for a big single but have about the same power.

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
BRKNDLW said:
Mazman,

I don't mean to sound ignorant or rude, but what's the advantage(s) of upgrading to a big twin setup if if the single big turbo does an equal job???:p
Kind of like buying the Lexus Land Cruiser over the Toyota model, even though they do the same thing.

Maybe just the security of knowing?

Honest answer...

Brittany

·
Acura Driver
45 Posts
MAZMAN said:
Hmmm....i believe BOTH the turbos are the same size(both the first and second turbos).

Hmmm... I must have been misinformed by someone then, I apologize. Remember that I'm relatively new to supras. In fact, it seems to me that there is somewhat of a shortage of readily available information on the car. I've done a good bit of searching. I know with the Z, it is exceptionally difficult to find information on the actual garrett specs of the stock turbos, such as compressor maps, etc... I don't know if any such difficulties exist with any technical aspect of the supra.

So if anyone could point me to the resources, I would appreciate it. :D Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts