Supra Forums banner

161 - 180 of 205 Posts

·
JetFire
5,361 Posts
Looks like Nissan is in fact using the TTV6 in the next Z if this article has any accuracy. If true this is a great move on Nissan's part and a direct shot at the MKV especially if they offer a manual option.

Twin-Turbo V-6 Power
The most powerful engine currently in Nissan and Infiniti's mainstream lineup (apart from the GT-R) is the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6 that makes up to 400 horsepower in the Infiniti Q50 and Q60. This is the logical choice for the new Z, then, and sources within Nissan dealerships told Autoblog that this powerful mill will indeed be under the hood. A seven-speed automatic is the only transmission choice for this engine in the Infinitis, but we're hoping and praying that a stick shift will be offered as well; remember, Nissan did hint that this was possible by bolting up a six-speed manual to this engine for its modified 370Z concept for the SEMA tuner show this past year.

This engine's displacement calls into question what the new Z will be called. 300Z would be rational (or 300ZX, for nostalgia's sake), but we'd guess that Nissan will instead choose a number corresponding to the car's output rather than its displacement, like 400Z, to clarify its superiority over its predecessors.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So far I'm liking everything I read except one thing, the retro 240Z looks. As nice as that car was in it's day, they kind of already copied its shape for the 350Z and 370Z. I'd like to see something a little different, fresher if possible. Maybe some additional homage to the beloved Z32 ZX (other than just tail lights). Anyway, still feeling optimistic about this car. Come on Nissan......I hope you succeed where Toyota failed us.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
2,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

2021 Nissan 400Z Will Have 400 HP and Start Under $40,000: Report

Even as the global pandemic wreaks havoc on Nissan and the rest of the car industry (but, y'know, Nissan especially), the Z-car hype train isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

Today's Z rumor comes from allcarnews on Instagram—the same folks who accurately predicted yesterday's Toyota Sienna and Venza reveal two months prior—who cites an unnamed source saying the so-called 400Z will not only produce 400 horsepower but do so with a starting price of under $40,000. In contrast, the current 370Z makes 332 hp and starts at around $30,000. Notably, this would have the 400Z undercutting the 3.0-liter Toyota Supra, a car that now makes 382 horses but starts at around $50,000.

Nissan's future sports car will apparently use a "heavily updated" version of the company's FM platform found underneath the 370Z, Infiniti Q50, and Q60 "but will, of course, have all-new everything in terms of stiffness, suspension, and components." Handling goodies like a limited-slip differential and adjustable suspension are also expected.

Under the hood, the rear-drive-only 400Z will apparently use "a variant" of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 found in the Infiniti Q60 and Q50 Red Sport 400. That's the VR30DDTT for Nissan nerds. Transmission options are said to include a "Nismo-tuned" automatic or six-speed manual.

In terms of styling, allcarnews reiterates what we've already heard: the 400Z will take heavy inspiration from both the original 240Z and the 300ZX from the '90s, including "double halo" circular LED headlights resembling those found on the former.

On one hand, the prospect of Nissan introducing a new, non co-developed sports car sounds almost pipe dream-esque considering everything that's going on in the world and the company's, er, performance over the past several years. Ex-CEO Carlos Ghosn went as far as recently predicting that the company would be bankrupt by 2022—although his views on the matter admittedly might be a touch biased. On the other hand, this new Z-car doesn't honestly sound like much more than a heavily re-skinned, re-worked Infiniti Q60 based on all of the rumors...so maybe the automaker can pull it off after all.

A Nissan spokesperson declined to comment.

·
iSPOOL
1,353 Posts
Look at Nissan checking all those boxes:
Nissan built ✔
Twin turbo six cylinder w/400hp ✔
Automatic AND Manual options ✔
$40k price range ✔
Pay homage to heritage ✔
Feeds on the blood of BMW/"Toyota" Zupras ✔

If I weren't so interested in getting a new Corvette this would be an easy choice for me. Good job Nissan.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nissan built ✔
$40k price range ✔
Pay homage to heritage ✔

If I weren't so interested in getting a new Corvette this would be an easy choice for me. Good job Nissan.
Rumors suggest a NISMO version could happen (as I reported here) and if that actually happens, well we might be looking at a segment leader from all angles, especially from an enthusiast point of view. Like many, i'm already impressed.

Thankfully Nissan doesn't mess around with projects like this. The R35 is a clear example of that.

·
JetFire
5,361 Posts
Nissan built ✔
$40k price range ✔
Pay homage to heritage ✔

Good points, the question is what will Toyota do if anything at all. I think they just don't care about this segment and having their own car.

·
iSPOOL
1,353 Posts
Good points, the question is what will Toyota do if anything at all. I think they just don't care about this segment and having their own car.
Yet they have plans to release a 268hp AWD 6 speed Corolla. I just think Toyota is confused performance car wise or they failed with the Supra direction. Or a combination of both.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
They will probably drop the S58 engine from the new m3/m4
And increase the price difference between the two, already at $10k if the article above can be believed, by at least another $10k (going by M3/4 prices)?

Ken.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wow, very excited about this car. Word is its a variation of the VR30DDTT with a front mount intercooler. We all know how disappointed the Japanese tuning companies are with Toyota going the BMW route.

As mentioned
  • Classic 240z styling
  • 6 speed manual that can handle 4 digit power
  • 9 speed automatic
  • 400HP Nissan Twin Turbo (you know how serious they are about this... 800rwhp with full upgrades and stock block and stock valvetrain)
  • Continue carrying the torch as a flagship brand for Japanese tuners.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
has anyone seen anything about the steering? will it have a real physical steering system still or will it go the way of infiniti and do steer-by-wire?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hopefully, this comes into fruition soon. I'm eager to see the competition's reaction to this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SupraApe

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The infiniti steer by wire system is more expensive than the physical steering system, so it is plausible to believe the 400z will not have it.

161 - 180 of 205 Posts