Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- just wanted to see if I could get some opinions/experiences on this...? I've got a newly BPU'ed Supra and was wondering which set of spark plugs to upgrade to? I've heard the NGK 6097's are like a perfect match, but I'm lookin for any information available...

S

·
0 Posts
yup. onlything better would be denso ik22's. but for the price they are the best.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
what gap are you 2j guys runnign with these?
i used them in my "big single" 7M and they are great plugs.

are you guys using stock gap or making them a bit smaller since these are colder plugs
than stocker.

·
Single Turbo
711 Posts
Stock gap on the 6097's. I love them no problems

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
You can run .032 all day long at BPU. At APU I would run .028 to be safe.

Steve K.

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Great plugs! I only have iridiums because I am BPU and w/ EMS. You will be happy. They will only last 2 oil changes, so be ready.
-jt

·
Registered
576 Posts
supradup said:
yup. onlything better would be denso ik22's. but for the price they are the best.

agree....the iridiums are great

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
I thought it was the 3330 that was best for BPU?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
ReI86 said:
I thought it was the 3330 that was best for BPU?

I just put in some 3330's a few days ago...after using a set of 6097's for 4k miles.
The 3330's are keeping me from boosting past 1.0-1.1 bar. Boost comes to a hault. My manual boost controller is set for 1.2 or a hair more.

So far, I hate these 3330s. The 6097's have a V-groove in the tip. Maybe that's helping the spark at higher RPMs and allowing boost to pull all the way. Just can't imagine all that from a little V-groove.
Either way though, I've used both of these plugs at the gap they come in (31-32), and so far, Im planning on removing these 3330's for another set of 6097's.

By the way, for power mods my car only has the extra boost (17-18lbs), DP and Exhaust.

sean

·
200+mph
738 Posts

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
what about irdium?

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
i was running the .028 on my "apu" 7M with 6097's.
same gap i will run with my apu 2jz.

great cold plug.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would run a plug like the 6097 or 3330 at BPU??? There is no need, and the car is likely to run a little rougher at idle, etc. Just run the Irridiums or perhaps even better, the NGK BKR7EVX11 (the plug that NGK recommends for BPU). These plugs will run perfectly without ever missing a beat, and they'll run practically forever without you having to replace them and wear out your plug hole threads, coil wire clips, etc. while constantly replacing 'em. I ran the BKR7EVX11 at BPU and they were perfect, and I know several others who had the same experience.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
I don't understand why anyone would run a plug like the 6097 or 3330 at BPU??? There is no need, and the car is likely to run a little rougher at idle, etc. Just run the Irridiums or perhaps even better, the NGK BKR7EVX11 (the plug that NGK recommends for BPU). These plugs will run perfectly without ever missing a beat, and they'll run practically forever without you having to replace them and wear out your plug hole threads, coil wire clips, etc. while constantly replacing 'em. I ran the BKR7EVX11 at BPU and they were perfect, and I know several others who had the same experience.

This is poor advice. The BKR7EVX11 is a platinum plug, while great for longevity on Cadillacs it is a grossly inferior conductor to copper, especially in boosted applications. The 6097 is by far the most efficient plug in transferring heat out f the cylinders and generating maximum spark, and on top of that, it costs 1/10th of an Iridium or 1/4 of a platinum plug.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
why, beacuse it cost me 35hp on the dyno at the wheels.

- Randy

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
6097's work great for me at 0.032" gap.

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol I'm about to put a poll up on this one! Thanks guys, I'm appreciating all the info/opinions- keep 'em comin! :bigthumb:

·
MKIV intervention needed
2,988 Posts
6097 at .28 im singled and couldnt ask for more.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts