Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got there around 1 today (Sunday) so I didn't catch everything, but here's what I know.

Everyone ran well, but it came down to kind of a dissapointing end. With Ryan popping a silicon coupler and loosing to the Easy Street WRX with a 9.68 to a 9.62. He cut a 1.44 60' :eek: :eek:

Dana and Al Rhee lined up in the Semi's with Dana's (9.3 earlier)brakes fading on him causing a redlight, and Al hooking so well in Ryan's track from the previous rburnout/run, he snapped his driveshaft. :(

But with the way everyone was running, there's some serious hurt coming from the Supra community next year.

Here are the pics I took.

·
Registered
763 Posts
RSA Supra said:
With Ryan popping a silicon coupler and loosing to the Easy Street WRX with a 9.68 to a 9.62. He cut a 1.44 60' :eek: :eek:
Here are the pics I took.
OMFG!!!! 1.44 60' foot. That is insane!!!!!

Congrats on an awsome run.

·
OG
754 Posts
way... too many words and emotions to describe all the drama that went down in pomona this weekend. Im still amped up about everything so i'll try my best to fill in some quick details.

I think everyone will agree with me when I say that these were some of the most uncomfortable track conditions ever. In case you havent heard, all of Southern California is on FIRE! there were fires burning in nearly every direction around the track. ashes were everywhere and it was hot. the entire sky was red and smokey and the air was extremely nasty to breathe due to all the small ashes floating around everywhere. needless to say, we were racing in some pretty sh*tty track conditions.

ok. heres what happened in our sport rwd class.

qualifying ladder:
1- dana from virtual works (supra)
2 - ali afshar from easy street (wrx)
3 - ryan woon (supra)
4 - karl martin (rx7)
5 - alfred rhee (supra)
6 - saad saad (supra)
7 - mike mehnert (300zx)
8 - ??? (240sx)

the first round of eliminations went as expected. dana, ali, ryan, and I all advanced to the semi finals. things were looking good as the supras won their races and everyone was in pretty good spirits going into the semi final round.

this is where everything went terribly wrong for our supra group.

semi-finals:
Ryan vs. Ali
Ryan was headed for the win when all of a sudden his intercooler hose blew off towards the end of the run causing him to barely lose. amazingly, Ryan still ran a 9.6 @ 137! :eek:

Alfred vs. Dana
This should have been an easy win for Dana but somehow we both got knocked out. He had some issues staging and ended up with a redlight and was disqualified. At that same moment, I launched too hard and snapped the driveshaft at the starting line.

Just like that... all the supras were out of the race. :(

this left the final round up for grabs for Ali and his WRX.

does that suck or what??? :mad:

needless to say, our entire group was very disappointed with how things turned out.

i'm sure everyone else will chime in once they get back in town.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
Paul was there running mid 8's all weekend. His car wasn't hooking that hard out of the hole. I saw an 8.4 and an 8.6 at low 170's. I saw him light the crap of them one pass.

·
OG
754 Posts
some more pictures are starting to pop up online now.

here are a few shots of how quickly ryan was gaining on the wrx on the top end.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
DAMNIT! it frustrates me to watch the video and especially see pics like this. I was a car and a half back and I got to his back bumper before I had nothing and let him pull away from me... I'd have sent him home packing... Oh well... If you find anymore cool pics let me know Al!!! [email protected]

·
Nice ass huh?
822 Posts
Al: What's up? Sucks about the driveshaft! At least you got the big payout huh:rolleyes: I can't believe they don't give more than that. It was nice meeting you and hanging out. Thanks for your help and hope to see you racing sometime soon.

Ryan: I'll get that video (the one against Ali w/Paul talking) to you real soon. If your gonna be down for Sema then that'll be perfect. If not, then i'll mail it to you real soon. Great runs! Your gonna break 8's real soon......your car is flying! BTW.....change your sig:D

·
OG
754 Posts
silvr94r2 said:
Al: What's up? Sucks about the driveshaft! At least you got the big payout huh:rolleyes: I can't believe they don't give more than that. It was nice meeting you and hanging out. Thanks for your help and hope to see you racing sometime soon.
wassup Elliott-
yeah i was pretty bummed that runner up only gets a $100 payout. that doesnt even cover the entrance fees and gas, let alone my busted driveshaft. It stinks that NHRA doesnt give the Sport RWD class a little more respect. They should really reconsider bringing back the Pro Street Class.

as for the supra, I got it back together pretty easily. it took less than a 1/2 hour to swap in another driveshaft by myself. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing my spare with me to the track. :mad: im sure we could have had it together before the final round easily to take on the WRX. :box:

thanks again for your help too. I really appreciate everyones help pushing the car back to the pits. I owe you all several beers.

Ryan -
can you gather some specs for me on that driveshaft you put together for Saad. I'm gonna get a set of real slicks for the car but in the meantime I still need something beefy for those drag radial events.

It snapped in the rear again. Virtually in the same exact spot as last time. that must be the weak point in the OEM shafts.

heres a couple of pics of the damage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts