Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a nice apartment in So Cal. Maybe in Malibu or Beverly Hills. Probably going to be a one bedroom unless I get a room mate. Planning on moving at the end of this year. Can anyone tell me the nicer places to get a place in Los Angeles ? I dont want to be too far from downtown but I dont want to be in a shitty area either... Any help is appreciated. Dont wana spend a ton of money so nothing more than 2400 or so a month for a 1 bedroom.Thanx.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
There are some nice apartments in downtown LA near the financial district. It's walking distance to Macy's plaza and downtown LA. I don't know if you are alone but they also lofts in the downtown LA area.

They are building a lot of condos and lofts in downtown LA, you might want to consider purchasing as it will be a good investment.

I'll send you some links later.

G

·
Why do you want to spend 2400/mo to rent a 1 bedroom? Are you that high class and glamorous? Thats INSANE. I don't even make 2400 a month, let alone spend it all on rent.

I need to change careers. Everybody thinks I charge too much as an Electrician but I can barely make wages, meanwhile, mortgage lenders are reaping in thousands everytime someone needs to refinance their house.

Sorry dude, but you just made me say: "Fuck this life", again.

My girlfriend lives in a 2 bedroom west of the 405 freeway (where you want to be, trust me), and she is north of wilshire (south of wilshire = cheaper, north of wilshire = more money, but still mostly condos/apts.) Upper Middle Class. North of Sunset Blvd., ritzy glam ville.

Also, you could live in Huntington Beach or Pacific Palisades, but they are a bit of a ways from Los Angeles city (20mins-1 hour driving, depending on traffic).

I live in a $660,000 house. 5 years ago it was worth $330,000. 5 years prior to that (ala, 1995), this house was worth a paltry $200k. My uncle can barely afford his payments on $200k, let alone if he was paying on $660k. If we paid more mortgage than we do, I guarantee both of us would be moving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you suggesting I look to buy something instead of rent ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be happy your house has doubled in value ! I duno why you would say fuck this life man. Sorry I just prefer to live in nicer areas to lessen the risk of a problem.

G

·
My uncles house has doubled in value. I merely am a renter. Sucks for me. Not even so well for him. He can barely keep up with the bills. Most of his friends end up cashing out equity every few years to catch up on bills (IMO, very bad). Luckily he hasn't done this yet.

Buying versus renting is your personal choice. You can easily spend $1,800/mo for a KICKASS one bedroom apartment with covered underground parking! $2,400/mo if it is a BRAND NEW building.

I live in Los Angeles, run my own business, and know what it costs to live here. If you need to know more, specific details, PM me, or post up.

How can you afford $2,400/mo for a 1 bedroom apartment is my question? What do you do for a living? Obviously making more than $70-80k/yr (else you wouldn't be spending $2.4k/mo). Your spouse pay half? That might explain some discrepancy, but still, $2,400/mo, is steep!

My friend purchased a $325,000 home and put $125,000 into it. $450,000 later they say it is worth $595,000. His payment is about $3k per month though, and he has a 1% option loan where when money is tight, he pays only the interest. Weird loan, but plausible. Not my cup of tea.

I would use the apartmentfinder online, and post up what places you are looking at. Once you do that, I will shoot down all the crappy ones for you, and tell you which ones are primo. I am like a Thomas Guide digital in my brain. Or Mapquest. I know all the streets everywhere, since I drive them everyday, and have for 10 years!

G

·
I live in a decent neighborhood. The ghetto is 5 minutes away.

My girlfriend lived in a pretty nice neighborhood. Ghetto is 5 minutes away.

I used to live in a really upscale neighborhood. The ghettos were all 5-10 minutes away.

My girlfriend lives in Brentwood, near Nicole Simpsons death spot (very close). Nice neighborhood. 10-15 minutes away, ghettosis. North of the ghetto...Beverly Hills.

You have a large mix of crap and expensive stuff all piled together. Definitely have a local help you out before you get taken (AND TRUST ME, YOU WILL if you are naive and out of town). You may not be naive, so that would be good.

Also, I say fuck this life, because it is intrinsically difficult. Just very hard to keep on top of all the expensive bills these days. If I worked my entire life I could not afford a home in Los Angeles. It sucks. I am depressed about the overcrowding of the world, I think that is it. When all the people on Earth die, I will be much happier I think. If that day never comes, death will be my eternal happiness.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Here's a link to a couple of nice apartments in downtown LA. It's own by the same company that manages a lot of apartments/buildings in downtown LA,

http://www.ladowntownapts.com/
http://www.themedici.com/index.htm
http://www.theorsini2.com/index.htm

This complex has it's own secured park and recreation area. The gym has a nice glass view of the swimming pool so you can see those hot USC chicks swimming while you are working out. A lot of rich/spoiled USC students and downtown executives live there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
apartments

I am your 1 stop apartment shop! I have buildings all over the greater LA area, including a very nice 1+1 in Santa Monica (6 blocks from the beach) Email me:

[email protected]

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'll vouch for the downtown LA apartments, I had an awesome 2 bedroom in the metric tower at grand and olympic for 2200$ a month. The building up by the concert hall on grand was a nice place too. Had a 1 bedroom for 1400 for about 6 months.

The metric tower was ownage because of all the FIDM girls living on the 3rd floor...the pool on the 10th floor had such a badass view too :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
StudMuffin said:
Whats Culver City like? my friend wants me to move in with him for a couple months..
Culver City is "ok", not the best but not the worst either. Just make sure he doesn't live by "Palms." That area is ghetto.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Haha... i had a buddy that lived in the palms... yeah doesnt sound like ud be too happy with that one..
I have a friend moving to a 1bedroom in santa monica for $2K a month... another friend living in the grand towers in downtown for 1500... ( i like that one)... and there are a host of nice places along wilshire, closer to westwood and century city..

but yeah, dont let expensive places fool you... the ghetto and riff-raff are never more than 5 minutes away... you arent that exclusive...

unless you come out to the OC :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
eh khiladi1020 i think we met on birch street like a year ago, i was with my friend with the baltic blue NA, whats goin on man.

·
Registered
552 Posts
oh no shi*?? yeah i remember you guys from that night. hows it goin? you in the area? whats the status of ur ride nowadays?

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Stealth021 said:
My friend purchased a $325,000 home and put $125,000 into it. $450,000 later they say it is worth $595,000. His payment is about $3k per month though, and he has a 1% option loan where when money is tight, he pays only the interest. Weird loan, but plausible. Not my cup of tea.

What you are referring to is an option arm. Its really a great loan program as I have one on my house and I actually do option arms for many people including supraforums members.

How it works is on your statement you get 4 options:

minimum payment - make less than interest only and neg-am a little bit so it adds a touch to your principal

interest only - self explanatory

full payment - what your payments would be based on a 30 year mortgage to pay off the house at a fully indexed rate

15 year pay off - what your payment would be based on a 15 year mortgage at a fully indexed rate.

Its not 1% per say, its more like thats the percentage you have to pay...........as long as you do bi-weekly payments you won't neg-am very much..........about 1000/year on a 200k loan. It gives you so much freedom financially too..........with the money I'm saving instead of going towards my house which I plan on moving out of in 3 years or so..........I am putting it into my 401k and a roth ira

Its a pretty safe loan as well since most, not all but most.............are based on the COSI which is the Cost of Savings Index, what that is, is when a bank gives you a higher interest rate on your accounts, the index adjusts itself............

If you want more info on how it works shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer your questions :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts