Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a niose when I am coasting while in gear. Mainly in 1st and 2nd. It does not happen if I am on the gas and it does not happen if I put the car in to neutral, only while gearing down with no throttle like slowly coming up to a stop light or when I am coming out of the parking garage at work. . It sounds kinda like a rattle? or like I am dragging a small chain? Not sure if those were good descriptions or not. It is not a REAL loud sound but its loud enough to make me wonder what the heck is causing it. Any ideas on what it is or how to stop it?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone here has to have some idea of what i am hearing..It is when I am coasting in gear. If I push in the clutch it stops and if I put it in neutral it stops and if I push the gas it stops..what could be causing it? clutch? Transmission? Exhaust?

Help
Jeff

·
Registered
255 Posts
Could be a heat shield (athough I don't recall there being too many heat shields on the bottom of the supra). Could also be one of the valves of the sequential system, I don't exactly know which one but I have heard a similar noise to what you describe on my car as well.

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
i have the same problem...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe, its the infamous 6spd chatter on Supras.

J

·
0 Posts
If it only happens when car is in gear coasting, then most likely its just the chattering from the 6sp trans. It starts to happen as clutch gets some wear. MKIV.com says it has to do with the fact that Supra's have a sprung flywheel and solid clutch.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does this mean my clutch is starting to go? When it was first installed it engaged near the floor and now it is near the top??

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts