Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Blitz Supra
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official now! The GT-R is going to come to the U.S. as a Nissan model and not as a Infiniti as some have believed.

Nissan GT-R is a go for U.S.
The dream of every red-blooded automotive enthusiast is coming true. On April 12, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. President and CEO Carlos Ghosn gave the wake up call; the Nissan GT-R is go. The production version will make its world debut at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show. It will go on sale in Japan in Fall 2007. U.S. and Canada will follow in Spring 2008.

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

·
Blitz Supra
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops! Maybe someone else hasn't seen it. I did a search on GT-R and it didn't pull anything up. So I just assumed it wasn't posted.

·
4,109 Posts
While historically accurate in naming, I believe the US buying public is far too brand/image conscious to spend $75k on a Nissan. I think they'd do it for an Infiniti.
Plus, near as I can tell, the average Skyline fanboy is just that - a boy - without the purchasing power to actually own one at the price point they have in mind. Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong:)

·
4,417 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again... my $75k would be at my GM dealership picking up a new Z06.

For $50k... maybe... $75k... you're dreaming.

·
Registered
283 Posts
'sup, Kurt.
In total agreement with you on all points. In fact, I made the same observations in a thread posted a while back (when the GTR Proto was unveiled). IMO (from a marketing perspective), this will almost certainly condemn the car to the same fate that the MKIV Supra suffered when it was released. : (

I think they would be much better served to market the car as an Infiniti in the U.S. market and as a Nissan abroad.

Time will tell, I suppose....

talltrini10 said:
While historically accurate in naming, I believe the US buying public is far too brand/image conscious to spend $75k on a Nissan. I think they'd do it for an Infiniti.
Plus, near as I can tell, the average Skyline fanboy is just that - a boy - without the purchasing power to actually own one at the price point they have in mind. Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
wasnt the G35 supposedly the Skyline? If so, that was sick. Sure it looks nice at times, but G35? Anyways, the EVO made it because it was affordable yet ran low 13's. It was a big hit and a dream come true for many. I doubt this is the case for the Skyline, especially with such big footsteps to fill left by the R34 in performance and looks.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
add this to the list of unreliable cheaply made nissans that we have been seeing lately......damn look at the altima's interior.....maxima's suspension, sentra....do i even need to say anything.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It makes perfect sense that it stays as a Nissan GTR, for the same reason it is going to be V6 Twin Turbo for all markets. Its a global image car for nissan, not a volume car. Whether the car is a nissan or infiniti isn't going to affect sales significantly either way. Those who want a Z06 will buy one, 911 will buy one, GTR will buy one don't need to be convinced of what to buy.

Nissan's rival and performace target to EXCEED for the GTR is the 2007 911 turbo (http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/10826/2007-porsche-911-turbo-997.html)

2007 911 Turbo Specs as follows:
$130,000
3.6L Variable Geometry Turbo Flat6 (turbocharger fan blade angle is variable)
473HP 502 lb-ft
5spd Auto / 6 speed manual
3400 lb
0-60 mph...... 3.6 seconds
1/4 mi........... 11.9 seconds
Top Speed.... 193 mph

So far all we know about the GTR is that it is build on the next Generation FM chassis with the Next Generation Aluminum block VQ electric prespool turbo's tuned by Cosworth, through a 7 speed transmisssion said to be mounted in the rear of the car (unconfirmed). Suspension tuning by Lotus. Next Generation VQ engine = new lower CG block with better head flow and cooling. Porshe has already showed Nissan their cards. If Nissan meet's porshe's numbers that will still be good, but they promose to exceed it. We will see, talk is cheap but given the GTR's track record, they deserve the benefit of the doubt....... Keep in mind that car has to meet global emissions off the showroom floor.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
I would roll a GTR over a 'Vette anyday, well I dont buy american cars anyway,
I dont want myself to see myself 100 times in the same day much less year!

dacman said:
Keep in mind that car has to meet global emissions off the showroom floor.
Purdy sure that was the main goal to meet for the USDM so that statement is basically redundant and mis-informed because the USDM is the market to be in and has been for years, sorry.

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
diambo4life said:
Skyline with no RB26 = Don't care.

I just hope they don't taint that lineage of race-bred history that the GTR has been well known for for over 20yrs.
I agree but we must accept evolution, its a fact of life, and those who who refuse to evolve are destined to perish, its the cold hard facts no matter how we feel about it personely.

Whats the hardest thing to accept? Change my friend, change!

·
Banned
381 Posts
Those of you who think that Nissan even cares about how the GTR compares to the Z06 are ignorant. Like dacman stated the GTRs perfromance goal is to exceed the 911 turbo in performance, and be a fraction of the cost. That and with exceptional quality/reliability it will be a tremendous bargain. The Z06 is what it always was, a bang for your buck car, it is not in the same class as a Porsche or Skyline.

·
Blitz Supra
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kaneda said:
so apparently you've seen the finished car and the MSRP before everyone else on the planet?

LOL!

I'll just assume that he is guessing from the figures everyone has been saying which is $75k I think.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts