Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought on a dry nitrous kit. Can get an AWESOME deal on one.
Its a 50 shot, pedal activated.

I know this is bad for the engine, but has any of you guys run this system? And hows it run?

In my 5m-ge that is...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had thought about a small shot of nitrous when I had my MKII also. Although the 5m is a very strong motor, the internals weren't designed to withstand the pressure of forced induction or nitrous. I'm not sure but can anyone tell me if the internals from a 7m would fit in the 5m block? I'm not sure if a small shot would hurt that much but I'd definetely try to beef up the motor.....

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
82MKIISupra-L said:
I had thought about a small shot of nitrous when I had my MKII also. Although the 5m is a very strong motor, the internals weren't designed to withstand the pressure of forced induction or nitrous. I'm not sure but can anyone tell me if the internals from a 7m would fit in the 5m block? I'm not sure if a small shot would hurt that much but I'd definetely try to beef up the motor.....
Just curious what you're basing these statements on?

The internals for the 7M are very similar to the 5M, with the exception of the oil squirters and the displacement...

·
Registered
317 Posts
quick said:

Just curious what you're basing these statements on?

The internals for the 7M are very similar to the 5M, with the exception of the oil squirters and the displacement...
2 Mechanics who own about 8 MKII's collectively..... oh and feel free to correct anything I may be stating that is false as I am not a resident expert on these matters.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
82MKIISupra-L said:
well, with some performance upgrades (bearings and such) that shouldn't be a problem. It is a sports car afterall. And the motor I have isn't 20years old.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A 50 dry shot designed for the MKII would be fine on a stock motor (not modified at all) but don't go any higher than that. The stock injectors are pretty much max out at 220hp, any more hp and you will blow the motor.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
grankor said:

well, with some performance upgrades (bearings and such) that shouldn't be a problem. It is a sports car afterall. And the motor I have isn't 20years old.
Actually, there is no way that the MkII is setup as a sports car IMO. It's a GT through-and-through.

It would require substantial money to turn it into a sports car (like the MkIV).

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
82MKIISupra-L said:

2 Mechanics who own about 8 MKII's collectively..... oh and feel free to correct anything I may be stating that is false as I am not a resident expert on these matters.
My friend Aaron Garney has no trouble running 230 or so hp in his 5M-GTE...

...and this is with an 82 motor. Internals are strong enough for non-crazy power levels from what I can tell.

www.rabidchimp.com and whatnot.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
threesixty said:
I thought Aaron Garney was running a 7MGTE??
Nope. Don Culbertson is running a 7M-GTE, as is Jay Balducci.... and Wade... etc.

Aaron has a custom-pieced-together 5M-GTE

I helped shim the wastegate at Zupan's last year. I've worked on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell ya what, I'll slap a turbo on there running 50 psi and a 200 shot nos system. I'll get my stopwatch out and tell you how long the engine lasts.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
grankor said:
Tell ya what, I'll slap a turbo on there running 50 psi and a 200 shot nos system. I'll get my stopwatch out and tell you how long the engine lasts.
Heh. Running the turbo above 8 psi should be enough to nuke a stock 5M-GTE.

The 200 shot will make the ruined engine blow up.

But with a RRFPR and 8psi of boost Aaron's car runs great. Can't argue with reality, right. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the fast 10 sec 1/4 Cali MkII guy (I can't remember his name) said that was able to push 500+ RWHP on stock 6M-GE internals.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quick said:

Heh. Running the turbo above 8 psi should be enough to nuke a stock 5M-GTE.

The 200 shot will make the ruined engine blow up.

But with a RRFPR and 8psi of boost Aaron's car runs great. Can't argue with reality, right. :)
I was actually considering it(blowing the engine) when I opt for the engine swap. And I think I'll stick with the 7m-gte, rather than try a 2jl myself.

After that, I'll finish the mods. Any idea how much HP a 7m can handle?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts