Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking about getting 275/40R17 drag radials for some better traction at the track. Do these hook up well even with the short sidewall? What kind of 60 foots are you guys running with them? I'm @ BPU and spin almost as much shifting into second as I do launching.

How are they on the street? Is handling shot with them on? Are BFGs better or worse?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have the nittos for the street. I love the way they hook. I only drove in the rain once but, it wasn't any different than the Yoks I had previously, they are a little shofter in the corners though. I recommend the BFGs for the track. I just got a set for the track. More people have had better results than the Nittos. I do not recommend these on the street.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
I run the BFG Comp T/A DR's and all I can say about them is that they HOOK! I usually lauch the car @5,800-6,000 with these tires in Sequential mode. My car is BPU++++ but needs to be tuned.

W

·
0 Posts
My friend had those (the 275 DR's) on his BPU auto and completely balded them in about 5 months. Its not his daily driver either, he only drvies on weekends. I run the Nitto 555's in 255 and chirp on the 2-3 shift so I'm thinking of going up to 275 555's.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
I had BFG 315 drag radials on the stock rims. They hooked like MAD, but I was only able to get about 400 miles out of them on the street. They are way to soft! I never even did a burn out with them. The rubber would just roll off of them in chunks. I now have Nitto drag radials on the back of the car and have gotten close to 4500 miles out of them with about 50% tread left. They don't hook like the BFG's, but they are only 275's. They do well in the rain, a little better then the BFG's. They don't handle quite as well as my old Yokohama AVS Sport's did.

Bob

S

·
0 Posts
WEST- The Nitto's will hook AS GOOD OR BETTER than the BFG's, you just have to put in some work. If these tires aren't heated all the way, they won't perform. They were designed to be a little harder compound, so they would last on the street, but when you heat the compound just right, they HOOK like a mofo. Try it out next time you go to the track, you'll be impressed.

Matt

·
Registered
174 Posts
My experience with Nittos was terrible. They sucked at the track no matter how hot I got them. I actually turned better 60' times with regular sport radials. On the street they were even worse. In cool weather they would break loose much easier than regular street tires. The car was almost undriveable in cold weather. This was at BPU power level. I can't even imagine how bad it would be at APU.

I use BFG as my daily driver tires. They wear quickly, although I get a lot more than 400 miles out of a set even with a good deal of racing. I generally get about 1500 to 2000 miles out of a set which includes many trips to the drag strip. I can't imagine why someone would only get 400 miles unless his car was very badly out of alignment and/or wheel balance.

They are marginally ok in the rain when they have most of their tread, but get progressively worse as they wear. Once they are beyond 50% worn, they are useless in the rain. In general, If you need the car as a daily driver including poor weather days, use them only for the track.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
The BFG DR's may not last as long as Nittos but that is due to the softer rubber compound. I have used the two brands and for performance it's the BFG, period. If you want the tires to last long then go with the Nittos. I put 1,700 miles on my BFG's before pulling them off to put street tires on my car b/c the tread is now half way worn so rain would be a huge problem. I still have plenty of tread on them but will only use them when racing. These tires are to expensive to be used as daily drivers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My experience has been limited to the Nittos, so here goes.

I have been running the Nitto DRs for about 6 months now. I'd say around ~4000 miles. The tires still have plenty of tread left - probably 50%. I have been to the track 2-3 times, and only done a few passes. At 18psi they hook pretty well, IMO. Better than my old Michelins, that's for sure. I usually run about 30psi in them while on the street, and 18-20psi at the track.

No doubt the BFGs hook better, but that is because they are not as much of a street radial as the Nitto. The compound used in the BFGs is much more similar to an ET Street tire, so it wears quickly. That might mean better traction, but you'll be changing tires much more often.

I'll share a little story. Me, another Supra, and a '00 T/A WS6 were coming back from the drag strip one day after it started to rain. We were on the highway doing about 60mph. Both Supras had Nittos, and the WS6 had BFGs. Me and the other Supra changed lanes to goto an oasis and then the T/A did. When we pulled into the gas station, he told us that he had almost lost the back end doing that lane change. He was going the exact same speed as us, and changed lanes in relatively the same patch of highway. Take that as you will.

I have enjoyed my Nittos and will miss them when I upgrade to 18" wheels. At that point, since my 17s will only be used at the track, I will probably put BFGs on them.

I would also like to add that the Nittos handle very well. Their sidewall is just stiff enough with the right psi to give you a nice ride. I can drift with these tires really easily and controlably. With my old Michelins, my car would kick out like a madman at the slightest loss of traction. With my Nittos, I can loose traction and still keep the car straight with little effort.

-m

W

·
0 Posts
I haven't run my BFG's (275/40) at the track yet, so I can't share that experience, but everywhere else...

For daily driving, I'd take the Nitto's (275/40) *all* day long. They hook fairly well in the dry even without heating up (much better than the average street tire, in comparison, my 325/30/18 MXX3's spin only a tad less), though they certainly are death-on-rims during the winter on cold roads if you're not careful (but what street tires aren't?). In comparison, the BFG's feel extremely sloppy to me, due to a much softer sidewall. I feel very uncomfortable at high speeds when them, they seem to shimmy around a little.

Traction-wise, the Nittos will do for you unless you're making a lot of power. I've seen 1.6x 60' times on them in the old days on the stock suspension... However, with a "real" suspension, and making a bit more power, I quickly found them to be inadequate. I just couldn't launch the car hard on them anymore at the drag strip (and they were barely worn). I was seeing 11.8's with 1.9 and 2.0 60' times, very frustrating knowing I'd be a lot deeper into the 11's if I could just get the tires to hook.

Hopefully will be trying the BFG's at the strip soon, now that the clutch is (in theory) all broken in. So we'll see for real how they compare.

-Pete

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just wondering if the BFG's are backordered fro everyone? My rims get here in about a week and I need to buy tires. Going with 315's but wanted to go with BFG's. Looks like I may have to go with Nitto's unless anyone out there has a pair of BFG's?? If anyone knows when these tires will be available, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Anyone know if the Nittos come in 285's? I'm currently running 285 35 18's and want to try the Nittos, but keep as wide as I can.

Thanks

W

·
0 Posts
69Roadster - Unfortunately, the best way to launch just about any 6spd is to slip the clutch at as high an RPM as you can bear. I've found the best results at around 5000RPM on the stock turbos. On the stock suspension, my best 60' time was to be had by slipping the clutch *hard* from ~5700RPM almost all the way to redline. Shifted hard to 2nd, then at the top of 2nd the car stopped. Limped it home, took out the stock clutch disk (RPS pressure plate), and was amazed to see it was glazed *flat* after six such passes. The next couple clutch disks didn't last much longer, though I haven't had a chance to see how the 6-puck will hold up yet (haven't been to the track).

Alternatively, in theory, a 2-step will allow you to launch hard without having to slip the clutch. In practice, I've never gotten it to work well - it just spins like hell or bogs like hell. I can drive more consistently and better without it, at least until I get around to putting some huge drag radials on and breaking driveline parts...

-Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man that's bad news. I am not ready to change the clutch right now. Guess I won't be getting any 1.6 60 foots any time soon. What's the best you have gotten just dumping the clutch? I would be happy with a 1.9 compared to my crappy bald tire best of 2.2.

So the 2-step launcher doesn't work well? That was going to be my next purchase. It seems like a good idea in theory.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts