Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted these on today. They hook perfect...I'm used to spinning all of 1st, 2nd, 3rd on pump gas. This is only on 17psi....I'm upping the boost tomorrow to 25 ish...we'll see if they grip.

I would never run these at the track but they are perfect for the street because they last a lot longer than the BFG drag radials and are better in the rain but obviously they don't hook as well as the bfg drag radials.

They look a little goofy because the front tire isn't as tall...but whatever! :)

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZLR_KLR said:
what rim width and offset are u running?
Did u have to roll the guards to make them fit?

Thanks

Sam :)

18x9 +40 front offset
18x10 inch +38 rear offset

I have stock springs and I didn't roll the fenders and I have no rubbing issues. The 18x10 is not the optimal width to fully take advantage of the 305 tires but I actually have wider rims coming in the mail soon so these rims are temporary.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Yeah, I just got a set in 285-35-18's and they do very well(as compared to my 285-30-18 bridgestone S-03's) 23PSI and no problems. I reserve the Mickey Thompsons for the track ;) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you use 275's in the front the height problem should go away. Are you planning on lowering the car? I want to try these tires as well.

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, M/T and BFG's work good for the track!

I run 30 psi in them.

I plan on lowering the car with the hks drag coil overs but with a different setup of rims and 18" bfg drag radials.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
BOOST ALMIGHTY said:
How much air are you guys running in them?

I aired them up to the recommended tire pressure on the sidewall for the street. at the track 15-18PSI of air.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Yeah, I just got a set in 285-35-18's and they do very well(as compared to my 285-30-18 bridgestone S-03's) 23PSI and no problems. I reserve the Mickey Thompsons for the track ;) :bigthumb:
Is your car a 6 speed? How are these tires for handling? I enjoy the twisties as well as the highway runs. I am looking for a good 285/35/18 currently.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
lis2k said:
Is your car a 6 speed? How are these tires for handling? I enjoy the twisties as well as the highway runs. I am looking for a good 285/35/18 currently.
Yes my car is a hardtop which all are 6-speeds(in TT's)

If you want a tire that handles good in the twisties and gets good traction(not GREAT Traction) then get the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 in a 285-30-18. It has one of the best traction ratings of any street tire.

If you want GREAT traction in a sraight line get the Nitto 555R's or the BFG's.

The Nittos do ok in the twistes but I don't think I'd push them. The sidewalls aren't made to take corners. They are made to "krinkle" a little to get grip more like a slick.

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
93HRDTOPTT said:
The Nittos do ok in the twistes but I don't think I'd push them. The sidewalls aren't made to take corners. They are made to "krinkle" a little to get grip more like a slick.
Exactly...same with the BFG drag radials....they are better left for straight line performance. I could care less about turns anyways....you can't boost a T78 @ 30 psi in a turn and expect your rear end not to do 360s... :)

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
93HRDTOPTT said:
Yes my car is a hardtop which all are 6-speeds(in TT's)

If you want a tire that handles good in the twisties and gets good traction(not GREAT Traction) then get the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 in a 285-30-18. It has one of the best traction ratings of any street tire.

If you want GREAT traction in a sraight line get the Nitto 555R's or the BFG's.

I only want a 35 profile, as I want a bigger sidewall. I know a bigger sidewall will never be great for handling, but its not a track car. Its a street car that I like to have fun on back road curves and on the highway too. Do you ever launch the car on those tires? I have read 6 speed plus launch on drag radials=twisted driveshaft or broken rear. Do you have any close up pics of the rear rim/tire combo for height and size reference? Thanks

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bigmike said:
they started rubbing a little last night..lol.

Haha..yeah..I guess I should give an update. When chunk start getting cut off the tires..it's time to roll the fenders. lol :)

Thanks for fixing my popped intercooler pipe...it's hasn't popped since. (knocks on wood)

·
Medium Ballin'
3,021 Posts
boostedsupratt said:
Haha..yeah..I guess I should give an update. When chunk start getting cut off the tires..it's time to roll the fenders. lol :)

Thanks for fixing my popped intercooler pipe...it's hasn't popped since. (knocks on wood)
put a longer coupler on it anyways. don't wait until it blows again to fix it right. :sadance:

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
lis2k said:
I only want a 35 profile, as I want a bigger sidewall. I know a bigger sidewall will never be great for handling, but its not a track car. Its a street car that I like to have fun on back road curves and on the highway too. Do you ever launch the car on those tires? I have read 6 speed plus launch on drag radials=twisted driveshaft or broken rear. Do you have any close up pics of the rear rim/tire combo for height and size reference? Thanks

I'll try to take so pics in the next couple days. You need to get a good carbon-carbon clutch and slip the hell out of if to launch hard. I am still trying to master this myself. Sticky tires + lots of HP = BROKEN STUFF!!! unless you somewhat "ease" into the power by slipping the clutch.

You could get the g-Force T/A KD in a 275/40/18 , not sure if they will fit.They would have an overall diameter of 26.7". Most performance tires for our cars are offered in a 285/30/18.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts