Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay what's everyone's thoughts on Nitto NT-01s on all 4 wheels.

NT-01... optimized for dry racing conditions. Beginning with a tread depth of 6/32", the NT-01 can be shaved to 4/32" to reveal a "slick" tread surface with two circumferential tread grooves. The NT-01 features a racing-inspired tread compound formulated for on-track performance to deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times.

D.O.T. approved comptetion radial.
245/50ZR-16 97W BLK
$176.00 ea.
Specifications:
Treadwear: 100
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: WR

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?c=1&sw=false&cs=245&pc=40304&rd=16&ar=

The car IS driven on the street, the car is NOT driven in the rain. Am I wrong to think these would do well on the fronts as well as the rears?

I don't want to be losing traction in any direction.

·
Registered
857 Posts
aslong as you dont drive in the rain and dont mind fast wearing Dot-R rubber.

It is a loud tire.

As a track day tire I love it.

n

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
You can get the Kuhmo victoracers at a similar price (actually less, I realized you're looking for 16") I'm considering those for next season.
Are these going to be track wheels or dual purpose? There probably going to wear really fast as a daily tire. Azenis is supposed to be a great street/track tire though (from what I've been told)

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
wierd post. you make it sound like you would consider putting them on 2 wheels instead of all 4?

I have found they actually heat cycle very well. I like them a lot. But if you aren't driving the car on the race track, these tires are kinda pointless...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
turbomx5 said:
wierd post. you make it sound like you would consider putting them on 2 wheels instead of all 4?

I have found they actually heat cycle very well. I like them a lot. But if you aren't driving the car on the race track, these tires are kinda pointless...
Even on the rear's just to get traction? I don't have much selection for 16" grip. I just want to be sure that I won't be losing traction accelerating fast, slowing down, or turning. My car is really light with short gearing and light rotational mass so keep that in mind.

It isn't tracked much, canyon'd maybe once a week or more, but I don't want to be losing traction on the street either.

What are some recommended front/rear setups for my 16x8's?
3000 lbs chasis, 140 lb driver, 13lb rims, 12 lb fw, 1jz DS, 4.30 LSD, tuning/boosting/modding till 350 rwhp

Help is greatly appreciated!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
you wouldn't want to put r compounds on the rear, and use other tires on the front and expect the car to turn worth a damn. And r compound road race tires have really stiff sidewalls. So they aren't going to be good for doing launches and straightline acceleration. When you say "its not tracked much" - do you mean not at all? Don't buy R compounds if you aren't going to be on the race track. canyon runs don't push the tires to the point where you'd want them more than regular tires you use for every day.

If I were you, I'd look at the falcon azenas, BFG KDs, Kumho MXs, or Yokohama Neovas for an agressive street tire that will last longer and heat cycle better than an R compound.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?sw=false&cs=255&pc=28780&rd=16&ar=
Well I was looking at the Falken Ziex 512's, w-speed rated, they come in 255/50/16, which is the biggest I can get. Would these be good for all around? With a 30,000 mileage warranty and that price it's hard to say no to these tires even if I have to say goodbye to 1st and 2nd gear, but I'm hoping I won't have to. The car won't be drag raced or launched very much, I don't want to break stuff.

When I say it's not tracked much, I mean I was planning to go to willow springs before I blew the engine, track it at SILV06, and to be honest I'd really love to do some laps at laguna seca, but I figured yea maybe 3-4 times this year so it's not going to be tracked much, it's more of a fun street car, even though it's setup for the track.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
i don't have experience with the Ziex. But i don't think they're all that agressive. Their tread life doesn't seem like a good thing to me. grip or mileage. choose one.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think what I'm going to do is just buy 2 and mount them on the rears. If I don't get as much traction as I want I'll throw them on the front and then get some NT-01's for the rear. Thanks for everything, you've helped a lot! :bigthumb:

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
no prob. but what ever you do, don't mismatch street tires and r compounds. the car will suck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts