Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the new gumballs! I just mounted the new Nitto NT05, I put 245/40/18 in the front and 275/35/18 in the rear. I thought I would try something new from the Falken 615’s I was running. They definitely look better and the tire guy said they were easier to install than the Falken’s.

Since the sun finally came out for the past couple of days I actually got a chance to try out the new tires and they did not disappoint. :biggrin:

Here are some of my thoughts on the NT05:

My first impression is wow, these things are quiet. I didn’t realize that my old tires made that much road noise until I drove off with these bad boys on.

I was able to test them on my favorite “public track” close to my house which has sweeper section as well as some tighter corners. The grip limit is definitely higher with NT05’s compared to the 615’s, as I was able to take the sweeper faster than I have before. I think the biggest surprise came from the tighter corners, where the NT05’s had some really good transition response. I’m not sure if it’s from the stiffer sidewall or the tread design, but the NT05’s had really good turn in feel. I can’t wait to get these things out to the track and really put some heat into them.

I can’t really think of anything bad about them so far, I have more confidence and there is less road noise.....all good things in my book. I will have to see how they do in the rain, I have been reading other reviews on the NT05 and they seem to be decent so we’ll see.

Once I get my camera fixed this weekend, I will be posting pictures of the new tires. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nice man.

Did you notice if the NT05s gave you more aural feedback than the Falkens when you got close to the limit? I noticed the Falkens are dead silent even if i am fully sideways

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I've had my eye on the NT05's for a while now...as soon as my Direzza Sport Z1 StarSpecs wear out pretty soon (though these Duplops have been really excellent), I'm trying a set of these NT05's as street tires. I see that these Nitto's come in 265/285 which I'd rather try than what my Dunlops are at 255F/275R.

It doesn't surprise me that they're quieter than 615's and other tires with knobby tread designs. The more rigid the tread blocks (less spaces and sipes overall) the less noise...but maybe giving up some wet performance, we'll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys I haven’t been able to post any pictures yet. My stupid camera is broken and cannot be fixed. So I just ordered a new one! :) It will be here in a week and I will attempt a photo shoot at that time.

2JayZCres – So far at low speeds the NT05 feedback seemed about the same. What I am really interested is at higher speeds how those tires will communicate.

Nick 95 6sp – I’m pretty sure you won’t be disappointed! Let me know your thoughts on these tires when you do get them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I went from Falken RT-615 to Nitto NT05 in the rear, same size 275/40R17.

With Falken RT-615 I would go sideways in 3rd gear running 17PSI boost in 45 degree weather. In my personal opinion RT-615 doesn't like anything below 65 degrees. And yes, they were dead silent.

Nitto NT05 at the same boost level in the same gear in 45 degree weather did not even spin, just took off. In 14 degree weather, call me crazy, the car went sideways with tire noise.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I am interested in getting the nitto nt05's in 275/40/17 for the stock wheels but I can't find a size to fit the front stock tt rims. I searched for 235's and 245's with no luck :(

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Nitto's site lists a 235/40 and 255/40 X 17...I guess you're saying nobody you called has those sizes

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Well I was looking for the stock size tire which apparently they do not make. 235/40 will be smaller than the stock tires. My question is how would the 255/40 compare to the stock 235/45? Will I run into any rubbing issues? Will it look stupid with that size tire on the stock front rims?
I am planning to go with the 275/40 out back.
Nitto's site lists a 235/40 and 255/40 X 17...I guess you're saying nobody you called has those sizes

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I went from Falken RT-615 to Nitto NT05 in the rear, same size 275/40R17.

With Falken RT-615 I would go sideways in 3rd gear running 17PSI boost in 45 degree weather. In my personal opinion RT-615 don't like anything below 65 degrees. And yes they were dead silent.

Nitto NT05 at the same boost level in the same gear in 45 degree weather did not even spin, just took off. In 14 degree weather, call me crazy, the car went sideways with tire noise.
Glad to hear your observations on the tires... I use the RT615's on my RR wheels and I've been considering those guys for a replacement. I heard a lot of good things about the RT615's and I bought them with confidence. I have to say that I don't plan to purchase them again. Maybe they're marketed as a good drift tire since they dont like to hook up! Haha... Seriously though, my Advan Sports have more traction than the RT615's. Also, the RT615's have to be the loudest street tire I've ever owned; they are louder than my dodge truck with BFG A/T's. It's pretty silly.

- Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pictures

Finally got some free time to take pictures with my new camera. The car is pretty much BPU. Here are some pictures of how the car sits as of today.

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
Too bad they don't make the NT05 in decent sizes for the Supra. I am going with the new Bridgestone RE11 and will write a review once I can do some testing.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I definitely agree with you Steve. I have another set of CCW wheels that I would like to run NTO5's on because of the simple fact that I really like these tires but no luck on the sizes that I need. The good news is that when I asked the NITTO representative he mentioned that more sizes are on the way! So I guess I will just have to sit tight and wait until they expand their size selections.

·
Fastest Factory Auto
2,228 Posts
any info on how these tires do in the rain?

Looking to buy the first set of new street tires since going single, I've been running goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's because of their traction on wet roads and hydroplaning resistance...

Main concern is hydroplaning resistance if i get caught in a downpoor, second to that is dry traction.. (t67 auto supra).. any input for me? Need to purchase rear tires today or tomorrow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts