Discussion Starter #1
which you guys like better and why?
245/50/16 nitto
255/50/16 BFG

slowly getting ready for the track and gonna buy the tires next

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
1. what size rim are you putting these on? you need at least an 8" rim for both otherwise the contact patch will be compromised.

2. there's really no comparison- the nittos are far less sticky than the BFGs. the only downside is if you drive on the BFGs they don't last long at all....the nittos are much daily driver friendly. realize both suck in the rain....

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It is possible to run 255's on OEM rims. Many people have done it and run good times (60').

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
werd. BFG's are much stickier but wont last very long. Keep in mind, they hook so well that you might break drivetrain parts with a hard launch.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya sorry
there going on sawblades....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you heard of things breaking?
got an auto so not like i can drop the dan thing

·
Registered
590 Posts
They broke their trannies from powershifting. With you automatic I would seriously look into an upgrade or a manual swap if you want to get the most of your car. Viewing your mods, if your running your motor to its capabilities and putting out the power its capable of, your transmission will probably go out soon. How much boost are you running? I know on my street tires, 225s, I get wheel spin in first when my boost hits 10 psi. Do you get any spin in 2nd?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Here's the lowdown man. I've ran both of those tires and will continue to run the BFG's this upcoming season.

First of all, either one of the drag radials you listed will work fine with the stock sawblades. no worries there.

Ok, if you like to drive around a lot and are lazy about changing your tires everytime you get to the track, get the Nitto's. They are decently grippy and have very very long tread life. They need to be SMOKED to grip well though. My best e/t with the nittos was 12.44 @ 115 mph, 2.0xx 60ft. The Nittos will spin, then grip, and this helps to ease the stress on the drivetrain.

The BFG's are much grippier and have a lot less treadlife. You can't drive around all day with them the way u can with the nitto's. Properly heated up, these things grip like a mofo. Dump the clutch and you WILL bog. Trust me. These things are so grippy I had to totally re-learn how to launch the supe. Definitely upped my game once I learned how to used these babies. Best time on these were 12.06 @ 115mph with 1.800 60ft. Only bad thing about these DR's is that I've broken two trannies with them. wayy too fookin grippy mate. With an auto this shouldn't be as big of an issue though.

I'm pretty fookin lazy and I hate changing tires back and forth. So in the real world of street racing, daily driving, and drag racing, the Nitto's would be the best bet. If you're hardcore and putting money on a drag race, u better be packing the BFG's though :). I fall into the latter category ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice info thanks dude,
ya im kinda going small kine all out, cause if sh*t breaks i
got my dd stang. And im getting the bfg, i checked discount tire
and both brands are just $9 bucks diffrent if i recall correclty
anyone recommend another place to look at for purchase?
there going for about 149ish each i think.
lmk
thanks
g

·
Registered
314 Posts
How come we don't run hoosiers at the track? Almost everyone else, (domestic), is running slicks at the strip I go to.

Is there such a thing as to much grip? I have an auto, so there isn't a big shock to the drive train when I launch.

I had planned on getting a pair of slicks for this year. I hope that's not cheating. : )

Dennis

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I have probably about 6000 miles on my Nitto 225/50/16 drag radials with plenty of tread left, even after many burnouts at the track. I managed a 1.87 60 ft with the Nitto's, and I believe I can get it a little lower than that on a warmer, better prepped track. Im thinking about getting the BFG's this year, but I might just buy another pair of Nittos and mount them to my every-day rims since they are so steetable. Plus it gets tiring changing your wheels every time I go to the track.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
drjonez said:
if your auto is stock, you'll toast it fairly quick....a built auto + slix = LOW 60's.....which is why everyone runs that! ;)
Will also need a high stall converter in that equation! :)

B

·
0 Posts
if you're running a stock auto, theres no point of slicks as your car wont be launching that hard anyway and will prob just bog.. BFGs should be all you need.

if you've got a built auto/high stall TC i dont think youd be asking us if slicks are good. ;)

my thoughts on the DRS:
i see the nittos as just real grippy street tires for high hp cars, not exceptional racing tires ;).

btw, the comp t/a DR from BFG OWNS the g-force for racing, hands down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've got a 3000 stall. I don't bog. I can pull 1.9's consistantly.

Has anyone ever snapped an axle? Ruined a diff? spun the tire off the rim?

If the weak spot is the tranny, I can fix that.

Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts