Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not making ANY boost period ! my supra is at the shop right now, i dropped it off like 2 hours ago... so we shall see what it is, heres whats happening, when i rev it goes into -vaccum and when i let off it goes into +boost, but when i hold it at like 3000 RPM it will go into vaccum until it levels back to 0 like 3 seconds later, i dont hear ANY spooling and i know its spinning because when i start i hear it start to spin and when i shut it off i hear it spin to a stop... what can it be !!!!!!!!! ANY IDEAS ?????????

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
if you can hear your turbo spin i dont think its a good thing anyway. i could never hear my tubo spin when my car idles or i shut it off.
maybe you should check your turbo out. take off the accordian hose and see if your blade is messed up and stuff.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like a Blown turbo to me. Like Spool Said, If Its a Stock turbo, then you Definitely shouldnt hear it. Look at the compressor Housing and see if you can see where the Blades might be Hitting it. If so then what is Happeneing is then you increase the RPMs, the Turbo is trying to spool faster but with the Normal shaft play that all turbos have, Its either Nicking or Hitting the Housing causing it not to Spool fast enought to Build Boost.

Robert

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i could rip out the turbo and rebuild it, upgrade the compressor wheel, and im tired of people saying to get a civic cuz i cant handle a supra, i got news for u, i also own a mazda RX8, and this aint my first supra, i had a MKIV NA-T that was stolen last june... so i wont give up on this one and im not new to tuning and building cars, im just new to the 7m and restoring motors, but we will see what my mechanic has to say about the turbo, thanks for the imput

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
-scarface2jz- said:
i could rip out the turbo and rebuild it, upgrade the compressor wheel, and im tired of people saying to get a civic cuz i cant handle a supra, i got news for u, i also own a mazda RX8, and this aint my first supra, i had a MKIV NA-T that was stolen last june... so i wont give up on this one and im not new to tuning and building cars, im just new to the 7m and restoring motors, but we will see what my mechanic has to say about the turbo, thanks for the imput

owning an rx8 means nothing here. :sadance:

take off the turbo and take a look at it. let us know what you see. take some pictures

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
FYI- When you come to these forums and ask questions, be prepared to have people give you smartass answers. Now I know you've been going through a lot with your car, as I've been following your threads, but I've noticed that you've been asking the same questions over and over and maybe not listening to the valuable FREE advice we've been giving you. Let your mechanic do his thing, and when you hear from him post up what he said word for word.

·
SC61 Powered 90T
847 Posts
rip of the turbo and rebuild it? do you like to waste money?? 99% of the time not building boost is a boost leak. simple as that, you probably blew off a intercooler coupler.

for owning so many cars you sure don't know shit....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i already checked most of my intercooler hoses except cold side through the bumper support... and i did hear from my mechanic, its misfiring... and could be my headgasket, at this point is 60/40 chance of being my headgasket so im not too happy. im workin with him on it so we will see, and my rx8 is naturally aspirated and making 269.5 to the rear wheels and 242 tq... i had my renisis out of the car for about 2 weeks and i did most of the designing... its bored to 1.6, ported and polished, fuel injectors, pump, regulator and, rotor upgrade, intake is done up, dual oil coolers upgraded, so if i dont know shit...? i know i got the car to what it is not by sending it to speed shops and hiring professionals, im just new to restoring, NOT BUILDING... so im tired of some people giving me smart ass answers but i do apprciate people like RTA supra... but ive been listening and been working around these suggestions, but what it comes down to is i dont have the equipment to do half the work so i have to get a shop to do it, but for now i will have to keep working to get it reliable, let alone boostin, so please and thank you for helping... lata

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tomorrow my mechanic is getting to it... but it should be pretty good, my stock exhaust is kickin hard, at like 3000 rpm it could knock me on my ass, lol...

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
Righty tighty, lefty loosey philosophy would save you a lot of money. Sounds like you have a mkiv mindset, possibly a mkiv budget???? and drive a MKIII. Don't expect much respect from MKIII owners, most of us like to get our hands dirty and learn how to work on these cars. An example: when I needed to know my cars' compression, it cost less to buy a compression gauge and learn to use it than it would have cost for me to pay a mechanic to do it for me. That used to be the MKIII motto, spend the money on the tool and learn to use it. Not so much anymore :-( Now people seem to want shit handed to them on a silver platter for free and then they don't even have the social skills to say thanks if you do help them!

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
-scarface2jz- said:
im not making ANY boost period ! my supra is at the shop right now, i dropped it off like 2 hours ago... so we shall see what it is, heres whats happening, when i rev it goes into -vaccum and when i let off it goes into +boost, but when i hold it at like 3000 RPM it will go into vaccum until it levels back to 0 like 3 seconds later, i dont hear ANY spooling and i know its spinning because when i start i hear it start to spin and when i shut it off i hear it spin to a stop... what can it be !!!!!!!!! ANY IDEAS ?????????
If you can actually hear the turbos spin at idle, that turbo must be shot. You don't normally hear turbos spinning at idle, nor when the car is shut off. If the turbo is fried, It won't make any boost. Signs to look out for is Howling, screeching sound if any or smoke from tailpipe.

Check the turbo : pull off the intake and check fopr end to end and wobbly turbine. Excessive play means its gone.

If your car is missing, it does not mean automatically that your H/g is blown, but then this is a MKIII - 7mgte, if it hasnever had a head gasket repaired, it may be needing one one.

Missing can be caused by anything like fouled/worn plugs, broken plug wires, O2 sensor not plugged, missing or broken vacum lines, etc.....
Hope its not too major...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'd do it in this order...

-inspect turbo
-check for boost leaks (make a boost leak tester and find them, old car, old brittle pipes...)
-compression

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Poodles said:
I'd do it in this order...

-inspect turbo
-check for boost leaks (make a boost leak tester and find them, old car, old brittle pipes...)
-compression

Let me add to that, take of the accordiane pipe connected to ur turbo, and check for shaft play, ex side to side is normal but depends on how much side to side u know, in and out. u got a problem. also chek out your fins, ex, chips, nics here n there or if your blades are completley F*****.

good luck
saif

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the whole thing with hearing the turbo might have you confused, at idle i dont hear the turbo, but if i try cranking the motor and it fails i can hear the turbo spin, and when i turn off the car the turbo will spin for a second later, from the other MK3`s ive been in its the same situation, they just get boost, lol, so worst comes to worst its my pipes, but when im driving i dont hear spooling, and im not making boost at the same time, i also heard from my mailman, who has a 88 turbo 5 speed that the oil weight has to do with the ECU opening the wastegate, like if the weight is too light , which im running 5W 20 and hence, lifter tap, so ill change the oil and see wasup, but worst comes to worst, a new CT26 on ebay... or get my sponsor to hook me up, hes got rebuilt turbos soooo... we will see, layta

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
blkt72 said:
Righty tighty, lefty loosey philosophy would save you a lot of money. Sounds like you have a mkiv mindset, possibly a mkiv budget???? and drive a MKIII. Don't expect much respect from MKIII owners, most of us like to get our hands dirty and learn how to work on these cars. An example: when I needed to know my cars' compression, it cost less to buy a compression gauge and learn to use it than it would have cost for me to pay a mechanic to do it for me. That used to be the MKIII motto, spend the money on the tool and learn to use it. Not so much anymore :-( Now people seem to want shit handed to them on a silver platter for free and then they don't even have the social skills to say thanks if you do help them!
i tend to agree, ive been wanting another MKIV for toooo long !!! i used to have a 1997 5 speed 534 HP NA-T that i got for my 17th B-DAY (which was stolen, parted and the cops can only guess its in the UK or scattered all over the US), so at this point im just wanting a MKIV, NA, TT, auto, 5 speed, 6 speed, doesnt matter, im just looking for a reliable head turning street car, and i wont exactly find that with a 176XXX milage MK3

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
-scarface2jz- said:
well i already checked most of my intercooler hoses except cold side through the bumper support... and i did hear from my mechanic, its misfiring... and could be my headgasket, at this point is 60/40 chance of being my headgasket so im not too happy. im workin with him on it so we will see, and my rx8 is naturally aspirated and making 269.5 to the rear wheels and 242 tq... i had my renisis out of the car for about 2 weeks and i did most of the designing... its bored to 1.6, ported and polished, fuel injectors, pump, regulator and, rotor upgrade, intake is done up, dual oil coolers upgraded, so if i dont know shit...? i know i got the car to what it is not by sending it to speed shops and hiring professionals, im just new to restoring, NOT BUILDING... so im tired of some people giving me smart ass answers but i do apprciate people like RTA supra... but ive been listening and been working around these suggestions, but what it comes down to is i dont have the equipment to do half the work so i have to get a shop to do it, but for now i will have to keep working to get it reliable, let alone boostin, so please and thank you for helping... lata
:gives:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts