Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i run my 7mgte with no down pipe just turbo elbo and a little section of pipe that directs the exhaust flow barly out the bottom of the engine bay would it be ok? cuz i have heard that i could suck cold air back up into the valves and burn them up if i dont have an exhaust is that true? if so how long would i have to have my exhaust at the very least?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think your biggest problem is melting things in there, but if you ge tthe exhaust low enough to clear all the wires and anyhtign that can melt, you should be fine

but i dont know about the cold air thing

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my down pipe im makin if for race only and it will be long enough not to melt any thing in the engine bay. i was many wonderin about the cold air thing?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would seriously doubt the danger in having such a dp. I recall seeing quite a few TT racing porsche's with no pipe at all, just turbo and wastegate poking out of the back of the car...certainly upon shutdown of those machines there was cold air , but really, that cold air has to pass through that hot turbine housing, as well as a hot combusition chamber and exhaust manifold....PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG but I don't think it should be a problem.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what i been told, a non turbo power car needs a muffler. a turbocharge car does not. the turbo, i guess you can say is the "muffler."

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
yeah shouldn't be a problem. Just put a nice big turbo elbow to gain even more(if you haven't thought about that).

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
DLosMA70 said:
i have heard that i could suck cold air back up into the valves and burn them up if i dont have an exhaust is that true?
N/A engines that run open headers run that risk, but with the turbo in there, you will be fine. Just get the exhaust low enough to get under the car so you dont melt too much stuff.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
n/a cars i heard is what does the valve thing i just thought that turbo car might have had a prob with it to
thnx for the help

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
start up your car and have a friend give it a few revs. as he does that put your hand over the tail pipe. u think some air is gonna be able to go the otherway at all, not to mention all the way up, through a hot turbo with a wheel spinning the other way and into the head? :)

btw, if bishop said it, u know its true ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
An old muscle car guy here. That old saying originally came from the open thin tube headers. On cooler days the thin header piping would cool so fast and the air could cool up into the open exhaust port/valve and warp it, but in all my years I have never actually seen it or talked to anyone that irt actually happened to. The previous replies cover it well. There is so much hot metal between the open air and the valve that it is very unlikely to occure. Mark L

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Heh, well I have experience with running the turbo with no downpipe. For an extended period of time, then we tore the engine down. No problems at all with the valves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts