Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was just wondering if any type of problem could arise from not having the two engine undercover`s in place, but wheel well covers in place. thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No issues on my car running like that... Underhood gets dirtier I guess? But other than that, no ill effects.

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hooray, i was worried i might have to take them off, but now ill take them off with no concern.

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think so, but im unsure of how dramatically. But i would guess it would make more turbulence

·
Registered
594 Posts
I removed the undercover when installing my greedy 3row and decided to leave it off.

I always wondered what the results would be to the aerodynamics since the cover would sort of push air down and further back on the bottom escaping to the rear. Also, since there is more air flowing under the hood now, and on long trips, could the air pressure under the hood cause some time of damage on the hood it self? Worst case scenario, possibly cause the hood to break open at high speeds?

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I've never tried it with my car, but several respectable opinions in the roadrace section say it increases chances of overheating with the panels removed. It can actually reduce the amount of air blowing thru the radiator. Normal highway driving is much less likely to show the problem vs. hard track driving.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I've never tried it with my car, but several respectable opinions in the roadrace section say it increases chances of overheating with the panels removed. It can actually reduce the amount of air blowing thru the radiator. Normal highway driving is much less likely to show the problem vs. hard track driving.
That is exactly what I have hear as well. I think it would effect road racing cars the most where tempatures would get very high.

·
Very Senior Member
10,062 Posts
That is true.
And it does keep some of the water and mud off the engine - you know, when I'm at the mud drags!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Do these covers fit with FMIC's?
I wish I had never sold my under cover. It kept the engine bay real clean. The only reason I got rid of it was I didn't want to modify the front cover when I installed the Boostlogic T6 FMIC, as the FMIC wasn't close to fitting with the front cover in place. I had though of leaving the front one off, as well, but was worried the main under cover would fly off at high speeds.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I wish I had never sold my under cover. It kept the engine bay real clean. The only reason I got rid of it was I didn't want to modify the front cover when I installed the Boostlogic T6 FMIC, as the FMIC wasn't close to fitting with the front cover in place. I had though of leaving the front one off, as well, but was worried the main under cover would fly off at high speeds.

Hmmm I am referring to this one:

What ones are you referring to? Sorry a bit confused.

·
From the land down under
4,390 Posts
The one pictures will fit fine with a FMIC.

The other one that goes under the nose of the car and runs back to where the undertray begins can be fitted with a FMIC, but it depends on the height at which you mount the core. I have managed to install a standard sized 24x12x3 core with the nose undertray fitted,

Its hugely beneficial to run it, to create the low pressure area behind the intake of the front bumper so that the airflow will go through the entire core of the radiator/AC core etc. Without it, the air will follow the path of least resistance and hit the intorcoooler then go straight down under the car rather than through the radiator.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
^ Thanks. I thought there was just one there, I guess I'll have to go look under both cars, and my second car has it all there so I can compare:/ I cant find underbody pictures anywhere online:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts