Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, d*mn...yanked the dash, replaced the heater core, hooked up everything...put everything back in...more orless...now the fuel guage doesn't work...

The low fuel warning light on the guage comes on when the fuel level is down...but the needle is stuck at the 1/4 mark...

I took out the instrument cluster and rechecked that everything was plugged into the back. Temp works, rpm and speedo work, oil pressure...everything except the fuel guage...

it worked fine before I tore everything down...what am I missing??? I don't see any open connections...

·
Registered
696 Posts
did you take the needle off at any moment? if so you may not have put it back in the correct place. if not then maby the lil spring in the back came off. that happend to my oil pressure gauge. i finaly got it workin right.... so check the back of the gauge it self

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Never took anything on the instrument cluster apart...removed it as a unit...clear cover intact and in place... and stored it carefully until I put it back in...

·
Registered
696 Posts
ahhh where it pulgs into the gauges theres the plug in there thats about it tho
maby your sender in the tank is screwer i donno lol just a thought

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, it worked fine before I pulled everything out...I'm sure I just failed to conncect something somewhere but damned if I can see where it is...I can't find the fuel guage circuit
on the pcb...what a pain...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it move at all or what???
Mine goes to half and wont go past.
-the problem with mine is the sending unit in the tank has a bad spot

that can happen at any time i have had my supra for about 5 months now and last month it just stoped going past half way so it could be that.

Ways to check is check restance when your are about out of gas at the connector, then fill up and if restance changes in a big way you know the problem is the gauge not the sending unit in the tank

-Drew-

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know, I think I maty have a clue...when I was replacing the heater core, I took my time...I had the instrument cluster wrapped in a soft cloth laying on its face in the garage...
I learned today from the TSRM that the fuel guage is loaded with silicon oil to dampen sudden fluctuations in fuel supply indications...like when the gas is splashng around in the tank, going uphill, etc...my guess is that the fluid has displaced in such a manner (from laying on its face) as to lock up the indicator needle...I'm going to take it out and let it sit for a few days in the 180 degree positin and see what happens...wtf? Everything else checks out...PITA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dire McCain said:
I'm going to take it out and let it sit for a few days in the 180 degrees postion
After you do that get a DVM to read Ohms and see if when you move the sender gauge around if the ohms changes to see if it is still working. Also check for dead spots that could be what caused your gauge to get stuck my old chevy got a dead spot right by full and when it would get there it would just stay there till i took it a part and reset it in the middle so i had to replace the whole fuel pump in the tank. :tag:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts