Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today that my left turn signal is not working. I can hear the relay but instead of the normal click...click... all I hear is a horrible noise (like a bug zapper with a huge moth caught in the current)

To me it seems that the left turn signal relay is burnt out but I don't know for sure. The hazards still blink in normal rhythm (left signal included) and the right turn signal works fine as well.

I tried taking the gauges out and cleaning the contacts with an eraser but it didn't help. I am open any suggestions or do you guys think that I need a new relay from Curt?

Can I switch the right and left relays to test this theory??? If so, does anyone know exactly where the relay is located? I can hear it down by the drivers fuse panel but not exactly which one it is.
Thanks in advance... :bowdown:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the same problem but mines the right side but still same shit. I think theres only one relay for the blinkers.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering the same thing. I need to get off my ass and get the relay to see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've got a little story for you (might help you, might not):

The turnsignals failed on our Durango, dealer replaced multifunction switch twice, it would work for a while and then break again.

I got some reactions of SF and what it basically came down to was bad wiring underneath the fuse box. (i first fixed it by playing around with the taillights, but a week after that, they broke again (even though i already posted up that the problem was solved) Anyway, since we had already payed the dealer, they again looked at it, but this time checked all wiring and found the real problem. (under fusebox)

You might want to read my thread on that problem, since there are several related tips in there :

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389744

Luke.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am guessing that there is a short in the left ciruit. Hopefully the relay will fix the problem long enough for me to pass my state inspection.

Preciate the info Luke, I hope mine is just a short connection, but with my luck I am going to have to run a whole new circuit from the steering column to the fuse box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just some info..... Relays have seperate contacts for both side and the hazards... Always go for the easiest fix then move forward...

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Could be in the combination switch also.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tested the combo switch it has voltage across all leads and the flasher didn't fix it. So I ripped the underside of the dash out and found a loose connection at the wiring harness that the combo switch plugs into. For you guys that have put in an after market alarm turn your car to start but not on and set the flasher on and wiggle wires till you find your culprit.

There are three wires coming from the combo switch: Grn/Blk, Grn/Wht, and Grn/Yel.

I'd post a pic of the wiring harness but my girl has my digi camera. If you need extra assistance check out the Electrical System repair manual on MKIV.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts