Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· FTG & the IRL!
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to my '92 Supra Turbo(just bought it last Sunday) and new to this forum. The car is in good shape but needs some attention, the A/C blower motor being one of the items to fix. The heater and a/c controls all seem to function normally other than the fan does not come on when the low button is selected, the low button does light up however. Medium and high fan settings work, so I'm a bit puzzled what is going on. I haven't had much time to look into this problem yet but this forum looks like a good place to start asking questions. I also sometimes hear what sounds like a relay clicking on and off quickly for a short period of time, sounding kind of like a coffee maker brewing. I know this isn't air bubbles in the cooling system because it will do it randomly when the ignition swith is turned to the on position but not starting the car. I had an '81 Supra several years back that would make the exact same noise and the heater wouldn't put out warm air. It turned out to be the temperature rheostat on it being bad and making intermitent contact, which would make the relay controling the air flap door think the temperature selector was being moved from cold to hot position. My '92's heater will warm up and keep a consistent temperature and everything else seems to work okay. Any ideas?

· FTG & the IRL!
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Harold! I saw that post earlier and pulled the heater resistor . . bingo, a broken wire on the small coil! I love forums like this with such a wealth of knowledge, sharing a common interest - love for Supras! I've had several Toyotas(the only brand I've owned), this being my second Supra, so I'm no stranger to Toyotas. I'm looking forward to wrenching on my Supra, bringing it back to a pristine state!

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts

· *I see you*
733 Posts
Alright guys. I was having the whole low speed fan problem in my car too. I did what you suggested(replace heater resistor) and I still don't have air coming out on the low setting. Nothing. Not even the numbers that tell you what the temp is. Med and hight still work though. Anyhting else to check? I called Toyota and they said maybe something in the control itsself but they can't say for sure 'till I bring it in.

What should I look for in the controls? I don't really want to take it in. I'd rather fix it myself.

· Destroyer of Turbos
4,882 Posts
welcome to the club pah92 go to tx2k4 and meet the rest of the mk3 crowd! but watch out for the mk4 guys

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
I fixed mine with a small strand of wire.
Wrapped it around a pen body to make the coil like the stocker, and then solderd it onto the contacts.
Painted it all black with thermal paint to stop corosion, and it has worked great ever since. (I lived with no low setting for years, and finally was under there putting in the Eman and decided to see how hard this fix really was. Should have done it years ago, it is totally easy. And it was free, I had the stuff laying around.)

G

·
my 87 supra has no fan at any level, I know the heat works however since it will heat up when going down the road when the motor has warmed. all the lights and stuff work on the control box, I tested the fan itself and it works fine. I've been referred to checking tons of different fuses, relays and so on and I can't seem to figure this one out. I read about the heater resistor on here and checked immediatley afterward and found that the small wire on it was in rather rough condition, so that would explain why when my heat did work the low setting never did but does not help to answer my question about the entire heater not blowing. I am open to any comments or suggestions you may have regarding this problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.