Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to get into. The track finally opened today and with the T-58 at 18 psi, I pulled off a 12.0 at 121 mph for my first run.

My second run, I was running this turbocharged Mustang, so i got a bit nervous and crap happened.

I had a great launch and a great 1st to 2nd shift, but when I went to shift into 3rd, I missed it so i didnt get into 3rd just yet. When I missed the shift, there was no grinding at all.

I drive up to the booth to get my ticket, and when i go to leave, my car wont engage into first gear at all. No matter how much I push on it, it wont go in.

Second gear wont go in unless i push it in hard and fast. The car has NEVER done something like this before and even though the car has 136k miles, along with the transmission, I just put in new V160 fluid about 2000 miles ago. The tranny has never shifted hard or grinded, so how come this happened?

I checked my lines from under the car, from the oh so small space I had to work with.

Since I cant get into first gear, I drove home leaving fromsecond gear stops, inwhich I tried to avoid by coasting asmuch aspossible. I am just dissappointed on what just happened, really unexpected.

I've searched the forums a bit today, and no luck yet on people with similar symptons other than a "bad" shifter bushings. I'll look into it more today, but ANY input is appreciated!

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
real hard diagnosis ... some people would say you busted the trans but i think you may want to check things inside the shifter...sounds like something could be bent

·
2,112 Posts
anoither thing i thought of you could do is to try and adjust the cable ... sorry i cant be more help im no good with doing this stuff

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check those things tomorrow. I have toyota's BGB so perhaps I'll find something in there. Not going to do any work now at night, plus I am so sore from helping friends and their cars with trannies, now its my turn hah.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the BGB, under troubleshooting.

Symptons: Hard to shift or will not shift points to :
1. Control Cable(faulty)
2. Synchronizer Ring (word or damaged)
3. Shift Key spring(damaged)

I am hoping its the cable!

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
possible master or slave cyl problem? have you bled the clutch and checked the fluid level?

·
Registered
231 Posts
We had similar problems with a friend's 93.5. Lost 3rd/4th (I believe)... Turned out he sheared off a retaining pin inside the trans. Local shop owner had a titanium replacement machined, and reassembled the trans shortly thereafter. (Granted, you'll need to find someone compentent/confident enough to dissect the trans.)

Having seen the guts scattered about on a table, I can honestly say one thing - The Getrag is a seriously stout trans... Even after ~140k of serious abuse, there weren't many parts inside that couldn't pass for new/nearly new if cleaned up. Just found it entertaining that said pin sheared off, and managed to not get loose inside the case to cause other issues.

Start with the easy fixes, and work your way forward from there.

Nick

·
2,112 Posts
gmacrae said:
possible master or slave cyl problem? have you bled the clutch and checked the fluid level?
this wouldnt be the case...but i dont feel like explaining why :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt its the master or slave. It shifts smooth into 3rd to 6th and reverse.

If it sounds just like a pin, which I am thinking it is, then its not that bad, but it still involves dropping the tranny, taking it apart, etc etc.

I'll see tomorrow. It shifts hard into 2nd, so I am guessing its the pin, not my cables.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You have bent your shift fork. :( It is the part that acutally moves the gears into possition. You will have to have the tranny opened up to fix it. Sorry man, parts are not expensive but the labor is. If you pull your tranny yourself, send it to Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota in Houston, or Cody Phillips in Salt Lake City with WOTM. They are currently the only ones I would trust to work on a six speed tranny.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rotarytoy. I am going to crosssss my fingers and get new bushings and cable put in, just for the hell of it. Even if thats not the problem, atleast I will have some new bushings!

Time to drop the tranny.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, not a cable, dont know the proper name of it. But its part of the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Good news! I am able to get it into 1st and 2nd, but you need to get it into 3rd then 4th then 1st, or 4th then 3rd then 2nd.

It's a bitch, but it works for now. But from the BGB, I circled in red what I am going to replace. Hopefully Toyota still offers this for sale.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I very seriously doubt that the piece you circled is your problem. Its basically a metal bar. There's really nothing there to bend or break.

The only thing I can see would be the tower moving causing the rod not to rotate properly causing you not to be able to shift properly.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, i swapped a few parts today, same thing, but it does go into all the gears, but wayy too notchy.

Also found out the rear main seal on the tranny(driveshaft side) is leaking. If I clean the "drip" amount off the tranny, 1 minute later, that drip will reappear. So I ordered the new seal.

Also, I checked the transmission oil and it didnt seem that low at all. The only realll way is to drain it all out, and measure the amount of fluid comes out. 1.8L was put in about 2k miles ago, but I'll do that and I'll order a quart of V160 for the hell of it.

Smooth sailing I hope. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts