Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering pressure line has been leaking for a while...then the belt broke a couple of weeks ago...My question is, will it mess up the rack and pinion or anything else if I was to drive like that for a while? Its been two weeks and I was thinking about waiting a couple more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think it will do any harm to the car.
Just good training for your arms. :D

And no idea what your insurance would say in case of an accident.
"With ps that would not have happened, so we don't pay", I guess. :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had no PS on mine since i got it more than year ago. Imagin how strong im now? :) i love it now. Kinda hard to park but its all good.

K

·
0 Posts
I had that problem for awhile - liked on the highway but haulin ass around town was comprimised in a 5 speed car. -- turned out it was directly related to a screen in the bottm of the p/s resevoir - was clogged or out of place - cant remember as someone else actually fixed it - hope you find it
Kevin E

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K thanks a lot...Another question: What happens if the rack doesn't get drained? And when I drain the rack, does it need to be bled and refilled, or can I just empty it?

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you don't drain the rack, you'll be forcing PS fluid through a non-operating PS pump... making it harder to steer.

If the PS pump is out of the system, and the inlet and return lines of the rack are looped together, there is neglible resistance from the fluid.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
no power steering here for almost a year..i love it/hate it...love the feel from the road, hate turning the car going less than 5mph...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. yea i think I'll be cranking the wheel manually for a while...the feel of the road on the highway definitely outweighs the werk i put in when parallel parking...thanks again for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts