Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i haven't looked into this Too deeply and i'm not really that worried about it but it's something i would like to figure out.

Here is the deal:

1. No Spark. I mean nothing is sparking; coils, plugs, nothing.

2. Have not checked ignitor yet. I'm pretty sure that my wiring is correct but i might need to go through it again.

Here is the other part. I could test the ignitor, but i'm not really sure what i'm really looking for as far as current/voltage goes.

Any advice ideas of places to start would be great.

Bryan

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
a known good ignitor woul dbe the best idea....

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See i go tthe ignitor from Jimbo. I'm sure that you know him from SM. So i'm Highly doubting that it's the ignitor itlsef that's not working.

However, i'm not really sure how to test it. I've got the equiptment, but i'm just not sure what i'm looking for.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Bryan...if you would like, you can send me the ignitor with the block off plate and I can throw it on my car really quick to check if it works for you! My car is running in AWESOME condition, so i would be more than happy to check it for you.

Trev

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
supraturbo1987 said:
Bryan...if you would like, you can send me the ignitor with the block off plate and I can throw it on my car really quick to check if it works for you! My car is running in AWESOME condition, so i would be more than happy to check it for you.

Trev
That sounds like a good idea to me. I'll go ahead and send that as well out to you.

Bryan

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Cool man. That way, this will determine if it is in fact your Ignitor or not. I will just throw it on, try and start it, and if it works, then cool, if not, that sucks. Either way, I will ship it back that same day.

Trev

I

·
0 Posts
i have an igniter, if u need it.
i dont think its the igniter problem check ur fuses
and make sure all connectors r in properly
put in new spark plugs. it seems 1jz motor when they have old spark plugs they dont wanna start like there is no spark
and make sure u have good/plenty of gas

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
cam or crank position sensors?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supra Junky 101 said:
Our cars are having the same problem :(

Mine has no spark. Ecu is gettin power. New NGK R Plugs. and plenty of gas but no spark :(
Yep, same boat.

I've shipped out the ignitor to supraturbo1987. We'll see if that's the issue. If not i have to look elsewhere.

The ecu is getting power and i can get the fuel pump to run.

The motor sounds Great when it's cranking and nothing sounds odd at all. So that's good news.

I really appreciate all the ideas. Just so i know, how to i check Cam/Crank sensors to see if their bad?

Bryan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have you taken an ohm meter to your harness and make sure the signal is getting to the ECU for Cam and Crank sensors??? Also, check to make sure the shielding is not grounding against the wire. Simply touch one probe of the meter on the wire and the other on ground. If it is open, that is good. Do this for all of your shielded wires.

Marty

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
BigTSetter said:
Yep, same boat.

I've shipped out the ignitor to supraturbo1987. We'll see if that's the issue. If not i have to look elsewhere.

The ecu is getting power and i can get the fuel pump to run.

The motor sounds Great when it's cranking and nothing sounds odd at all. So that's good news.

I really appreciate all the ideas. Just so i know, how to i check Cam/Crank sensors to see if their bad?

Bryan
You ohm the sensors out to see what their resistane is across the two terminals. You would have to get a MKIV book to know the specific readings. I have a spare set if you find that yours are bad. I dont recall the exact readings range you need to be in.

As for the ignitor... If you have a pretty sensitive circuit tester, you can see small jumps in voltage pulses on the coil pack wires, and the wires running into the ignitor. They should be ignition pulses from the ecu. They are extremely low voltage so you'd have to have a sensitive meter to see them. I was able to see them on a digital meter i have.

Ignitors are fairly tough. I doubt that's the issue. I'd consider wiring or sensors to be an issue. Also... If any of your sensors like the crank of cam position sensors have a break in the grounds, they will cause the car to no fire. I would test continuity from the sensors back to the ECU. I would check the two cams and the crank sensor first. Lastly, I would also check your ignitor wiring for continuity back to your ecu.

My guess is in the wiring as it's normally the culprit in the swap process.

Best of luck to you.

- Hams.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few things:

Wiring: I have not re-checked the harness for flaws. I had never done ANY vehicle wiring before this swap, so that alone could be the problem. Second i cut my harness in half. So i'm honestly thinking it's the wiring.

Ignitor: I'm having this tested b/c i'm not getting Any spark. This alone could be the reason but not necessarily; but it Could be a problem.

Cam/Crank Sensors: That's next on my list. If the ignitor checks out okay then i'm going to that. To extend the JZA70 wires i use the 7M connections off my old harness. Same wires, both sheilded and wrapped twice in shrink tubing.

Misc: I honestly don't know all that much about cars, compared to a lot of others on this board. The majority of stuuf i've learned through a few Basic classes and then on SF. All of you have in some way or another SAVED MY LIFE!

As far as testing sensors and what not, i'm going to need a pretty blunt and specific way to go about that. I have an Ohm meter, but i'm not really sure how sensative it is. I know how to see if the wire is getting grounded out, but actually testing for current, that's another egnima to me.

Thanks again for all of those that have helped out. This project has taken a long time but i'm sure in the end it will be worth all the effort that you, and myself have put into it.

Thanks again,

Bryan

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Hey Bryan, should I expect to see the ignitor then? Either way is cool as long as you get it figured out. Believe it or not, Jarco had to replace my ignitor because the clip wouldn't start...it was the problem.

Trev

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, you should have it Hopefully by later today. If not then tomorrow. The ignitor and the block off plate are in the same box.

Thanks again for being a test dummy :p

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shiva said:
Good luck Bryan... can you pull codes?? Maybe they can give you a better idea of what's going on?
LOL! Um that would involve actually having a 1JZ ecu. I'm not really sure how i would even begin to check codes on the AEM let alone know if they were in regards to the ECU itself or the engine.

If you can pull codes using the AEM then i'll see what i can do about that.

Thanks,

Bryan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts