Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, this is for kansasupra, he was going down interstate last night and his car just shut off in the middle of the road. We started looking around in the engine bay today and figured out that we are getting no spark and no fuel. Any ideas? need help as soon as possible if you can, thanks for looking

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car cranks and has power to everything, there just isnt any spark or fuel. What systems, relays etc. do these two systems share? Is there a cam or crank sensor?

thanks

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
turbo or na? If the ECU isn't getting power, it won't have spark or fuel. If the CPS/distributor is fubar, the ecu won't know the engine is turning so it won't get spark or fuel

edit, did you check for codes? If not short terminals "T" and "E1" in the small squarish diagnostic terminal (by the fuse box -- near the battery), and turn the key to On. If the light just blinks on and off, on and off quickly -- there are no codes. Otherwise it will blink for a certain numer, have a pause, then blink some more. I don't feel like going more into the procedure -- a good write-up is here: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the CPS located on a 91 Supra turbo?

thanks

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Passengerside front of the engine. Its behind the bracket that holds the powersteering fluid resevoir. It goes into the head just like a distributor

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One stupid question: Does the codes still show, even the ECU is not getting any power? (propably not?)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I had a similar problem once when my wiring harness made contact with the plenum (underneath the throttlebody). Car was running great, then just shut off at about 80MPH.

Basically, after the BHG repair, the harness was not hung properly and the plenum melted some of the wiring/plastic, causing a short. The AM1 and AM2 fuses would blow everytime I went to restart it. Finally after replacing those fuses several times, we towed it home and "heard" the pop as the bare wires would spark onto the plenum. Repaired the wiring and all was good after that. Good luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts