Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I would post up a problem, and a potential solution.

My bro's 84 Supra just shut down on him. The shop he took it to diagnosed the problem as a Ignition ignitor, and said it's on the coil pack. The dealer wants $475 for the part, and I'm thinking this would be the perfect time to upgrade.

So here's my question. Couldn't I just put like Ford TFI coil and an MSD 6AL box on the car to replace the entire ignition system? It would seem this would be much cheaper than paying for a dealer stock part.

Is this doable? If not, why? And also if not, does anyone have this part they want to get rid of?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I donk know about the Ford coil. But I couldnt get the MSD box to work with the Stock ECu. I even used the Tack adapter. The multiple spark makes the toyota ecu go nutz, it thinks it is reving like 3,000rpm at idle. I had to take it off and just use the Blaster coil. I have the MSD 6A box and tack adapter if you want to try it out. I will sell them for $100 + shipping. Just installed and taken off, never even driven with it on.

Lawrence

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of car did you put this on? I will be using a 6AL. The 6AL has an adapter built in for 4, 5, 6 or 8 cylinders, so I shouldn't need one. If I need a tach adapter, I'll pick one up later.

Did your car even run with the box on it?

Chris

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
You still need the ignitor to trigger the coil. The MSD box still runs off the ignitor. You need a tach adapter on it to run the tach correctly. I'd post in the wanted forum at celicasupra.com. You should be able to get a used ignitor for under $50.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
My car did run with it in. I used the tach adapter also. Its at home so I dont know what # it is. I believe it is the one used on Toyota's. The engine just didnt run that well wouldnt rev very good. the tach was at like 3,000 rpm at idle. Maybe I didnt hook it up right or something but it didnt work on my car. It was A 5MGE.
Lawrence

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an ignitor for an 84 supra. Worked fine when I removed for a 7mgte conversion. I'll take 40 bucks plus shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts