Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Punjabi By Nature
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just a disk installed because I blew out my clutch at the track. So now, sometimes when the car is idling it sounds like a flywheel, an aftermarket one. I have everything stock, the flywheel etc but it makes that noise like an aftermarket flywheel.
Does my stock flywheel need to be replaced? I didnt get it replaced when I got the disk installed. I just left the old one in. Could that be the reason?
Thanks
Bally

·
3,148 Posts
If it comes and goes when you push the clutch pedal in and out than it's probably the throw out bearing. If the sound doesn't change when you move the clutch pedal, than it's probably the exhaust valve which is normal.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem. It's definitley the Throw Out Bearing if it goes away when you push in the clutch pedal.

The previous owner of my car didn't replace the TOB during the last clutch job. Cheap Bastard. It only cost around $50.

·
Punjabi By Nature
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its the throw out bearing? yeah thats what mine does. The sound goes away when i push the clutch. About $50. How easy is it to install?
Thanks
Bally

·
Registered
458 Posts
Don't wanna burst your bubbles but when you push in the clutch peddle you disengage the clutch from the FW. So you will be taking the stock FW's damping of tranny noise/vibration away, since the tranny will no longer be spinning with the motor the noise stops. It could be a TOB or the FW...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong you guys ( because I have this same chattering noise which goes away when I press in the clutch ) but you can't just replace the throwout bearing for $50.00 unless the clutch etc is already apart. In other words, if you are going to replace the TOB, you may as well wait until you are going to replace the whole clutch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts