Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've got a 5sp '84 P-Type and the drive shaft has major play..in the spinning way. So...when you're under the car and you rotate the shaft by hand (E-brake and in gear) it moves and alarming amount. Also, just crusing (any speed, but more so at higher diff speeds, not engine RPM) and letting off a little yeilds this heinous buzzing vibratory sound thing from the back. Note, this doesn't happen when there is force being appplied to the driveline, engine braking and keeping on it, like staying at 70 and cruising or flooring it doesn't make the sound. Only when I let off a LITTLE. I'm thinking it could be the diff, but the drive shaft moves....on both ends tranny and diff. Is my diff bad, or what?

Thanks for your input
NR

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey man, you know what, i was going to post THE EXACT SAME THING right now.......i have the exact same type of supra as you, an 84 p-type 5 speed. exact same problems......can anyone help us out? its not exactly the nicest sound in the world!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
come on guys, can someone help us out here? there sounds are horrible, they make me cringe, i want to know how to get rid of them!

·
Registered
717 Posts
um... i'm not an expert at this, but have you checked diff fluid?

when the plug somehow leaked one mine, it got a little bit low and started making some noise

·
Registered
427 Posts
Low diff fluid won't cause excessive drivetrain slack. It sounds like the diff is simple worn out, and either needs lapping or the crown wheel and pinion need replacing. Take it to a diff shop, they'll be able to diagnose your problem straight away.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have an '83 which has a good diff. I was considering swapping it over. Ever done this before? Easy in and out job? I can't see it being so difficult.....like stuffing a 2JZ-GTE into an MKII.....right?:)

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Switching diffs isn't too hard. A little more complicated than a oil change, but doable in a afternoon. Hardest part is getting the diff up and getting some bolts started. A decent floor jack is really needed for that (the diff is pretty heavy). As far as this noise if it is kind of a whining noise. If so most MkII diffs make this noise, all of mine have had it on the freeway. A little annoying but nothing the stereo won't mask out. The clunk noise is pretty common noise to when going into reverse and whenever the load is switched. I've heard it in all the MkII diffs I've had out. It's from the backlash in the ring and pinion. When the diff is out you can turn the flange one direction than turn it the other and hear a muted clunk. Doesn't get any better with mileage. Noises are really hard to diagnose by description, a decent tranny and diff shop should be able to hunt the problem down.

Aaron I

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the Diff in my 82' replaced, but the symptom was not so subtle. Any time I toook my foot off the gas and let the car push the motor, there would be a LOUD banging sound like 2 frying pans being slammed together. The sound would vary with wheel speed and if you took your foot off the gas above 50MPH it sounded like a loud metallic machine gun. If you used the brake and kept your foot on the gas, then it wouldn't do it as long as there was positive pressure from the motor to the diff.

I will give my little 82' credit, I DROVE it to the repair shop. I told them it would need a new diff, and the repair guy asked "How do you KNOW you need a new diff?!" I told him it would be very obvious when he drove it, he was unconvinced. He called back a couple of days later saying it would need a new diff and why didn't I warn him how bad it was. :D Well, I tried to tell him.:wink: :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts