Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about moving from the th400 to a 6 speed manual... Its hard to find a Toyota 6 speed trans out there so i was wondering if any of the other bands would work..

I mean i know we had to make an adaptor plate to fit the 400 to the 2jz, But now im wondering if you adapts a Gm 6 speed to a 2 jz.... Those trans seem to be all over the place.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Tremec T65 is what you are talking about. It might work but you would be in new cutting ground for the supra.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Do this trannies hold as well as the good tough V160? Anyways I would spend the bucks and go with the real deal instead of hassling around and putting more grands in than initially expected.
Just my 0.02

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true but a new 6 speed from toyota is $5800. Where as a tremec or something is around $2,000 I had a tremec TKO drag in my cobra years ago, Clutch, fly wheel, trans and shipping was like $2200..

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
You could use the R154 with the 1jz bell housing

·
Super Moderator
10,381 Posts
The main concern I'd have with going T56 is the wide variety of Tremec T56's that have been put in all sorts of stuff from the LT1 Camaros to early/late Vipers to 03/04 Cobras.
Being that I've never ripped a Getrag apart I can't say for sure, but taking a T56 apart reminds you of a typical Mustang T5 or any other run of the mill manual trans.
The Getrag on the other hand has a lot engineering superiority - triple cone synchros in 1st and 2nd, as well as double cone synchros most everywhere else. Plus, theres a huge number of roller bearings inside the getrag where a typical gearbox one would just find a bearing surface on a solid piece of metal. Building a T56 that can handle the power a Getrag V160 can is going to be tricky and it would involve a shitload of mixing and matching of parts from various other T56's, when a Getrag comes out of the box in 1000+hp holding capability.

Bellhousings and flywheels would be easiy enough to design, but has anyone looked into shifter placement? I haven't had a Getrag side by side with a T56 but since there's so many places that T56's have been and can end up there's likely to be conversion parts to move the shifter around a bit, but thats just one more headache to consider.

IMHO, the only advantage to going with a T56 over a V160 would be the ratio spread being very favorable to the stock TT auto and NA final drive ratios. If you've alreadly got a 3.133:1 or 3.266:1 6-spd rear end handy or in the car, this advantage is totally negated. Note that I didn't think the price is an advantage, as I'm almost certain that by the time you got the T56 into the car, you would have eclipsed the threshold of saving money between the custom parts and custom clutch, bellhousing, flywheel, and driveshaft youd need, as well as the headache from figuring out how to make it all work and the headaches of getting the right grab bag of T56 parts to make it strong and getting the right T56 to begin with. These headaches might be a bit more worth it in something like a MK3 where a Getrag is also a custom proposition but is problematic because of the Getrags unusual ratio spread and the numerically lowest MK3 final drive that is readily available is a 3.73:1

Also, before thinking a new 6-spd is a $5800 proposition, I'd check with SF's sponsoring dealerships, I believe they can cut you a significantly better price.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
818 Posts
hmmm g-force 6 speed....

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
Kerr,

You can get a V160 from Curt for $4800.00, maybe better, call him.

Steve

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info guys... im still up in the air on this...

Wonder what shipping would be on a trans across country...

·
Registered
557 Posts
true but a new 6 speed from toyota is $5800. Where as a tremec or something is around $2,000 I had a tremec TKO drag in my cobra years ago, Clutch, fly wheel, trans and shipping was like $2200..
Some lexus dealer is selling the V160s brand new just shy of 4k, they are on club lexus somewhere.

Excuse me, they WERE, i cant say for sure now, but im sure they are really close to 4k!

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
You could use the R154 with the 1jz bell housing
This is what im doing. The R154 is a very tough box if you do a couple of minor things inside it, its taller ratios make it a better match for the TT auto diff too ;) ...plus 6 gears is a waste of effort in a supra imo

...just make sure you get one with the remote shifter from a 1jz-gte chaser or markII/Grande. Aside from the bellhousing, the MA70 r154 wont quite reach the jza80 shifter hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wait wait,,,,,,

in 2003 I was bought 2000 bmw M5 it was 6spd
and when I change the clutch I saw Getrag on the housing...

Can any body use this trans for his 2jz ?????
maybe it will fit :nutkickhi

·
Registered
557 Posts
wait wait,,,,,,

in 2003 I was bought 2000 bmw M5 it was 6spd
and when I change the clutch I saw Getrag on the housing...

Can any body use this trans for his 2jz ?????
maybe it will fit :nutkickhi
I doubt the bellhousing alignment is the same, it would be cool to have an alternative transmission available. I also highly doubt the M5 trans is easier to come across or even the price is higher!

Good stuff to know though, thats pretty cool

take care
Mark

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
getrag makes trannies for all sort's of applications....even som gm/chrystler apps.....they are not however, even close, to the v160/161

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Just got back from GT Live where the Falken Drift Team is running a GS??? Nascar tranny in their 2JZ powered IS350.

·
The Don of SF!!!
92 Posts
i would just wait to find a used V160 and go with that.... trying new things is almost always gonna cost you more ... atleast in my experience ... and im sure anyone can back me up on that .... this car sucks my bank account dry lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts