Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought a mk3 with no engine for like $350. Bad no engine at all, good pretty much everything else for a regular 7mge. thinking of picking up a 7mgte from an automatic 89 supra turbo. what would i need to swap this to my car with the W58 tranny ( yes i no this is a crap tranny). i am leaving the engine stock besides arp head bolts and a new head gasket for now until i get a r152 transmission unless someone has a better suggestion. would this require a ecu from a MT turbo supra or is it easier to go with aftermarket( suggestion please).

i have looked through some of the swap guides, so basically just want to see what is the current favored stuff.

thanks for your time
Rockdwg

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
Ideally, you would use the manual turbo ECU, but you can run a manual trans car with an auto ECU with minimal issues. I did on one of my cars and it was fine.

The w58 is fine. If you're not going for big power and don't plan on clutch drops and drag racing it's better than the R154, IMO.

The swap is plenty doable and involves a lot of planning. There are a lot of parts to gather. It's all been covered a few times over. Search for threads on here and SM.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What year is you mk3 and is the 89 supra a late model or early model, early had square motor mounts late had round and depending on what your supra is you may need to change motor mounts not horrible to do just something you might check into and be able to plan for.

·
Registered
903 Posts
sweet

welcome Rockdog

I did the swap in my 86.5 targa top. my opinion is its not worth messing with swapping in the turbo ECU and wiring harness. if you have to buy all those items its going to cost a lot (gte ECU / igniter / AFM / on and on + lex afm and 550s is you want any real power due to fuel cut in stock ecu), and its going to take time figuring out how to make the stock 7mgte stuff work since you are literally transplanting a wire harness over to your na car. even if you buy a turbo parts car, i would sell the stock 7mgte electronics to fund a stand alone ecm, and probably come out ahead !

I run a megasquirt in my na-t with 440 injectors (stock GTE injectors). yes it was a pain to setup at first, but man once your up and running the sky is the limit with a stand alone.

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
welcome Rockdog

I did the swap in my 86.5 targa top. my opinion is its not worth messing with swapping in the turbo ECU and wiring harness. if you have to buy all those items its going to cost a lot (gte ECU / igniter / AFM / on and on + lex afm and 550s is you want any real power due to fuel cut in stock ecu), and its going to take time figuring out how to make the stock 7mgte stuff work since you are literally transplanting a wire harness over to your na car. even if you buy a turbo parts car, i would sell the stock 7mgte electronics to fund a stand alone ecm, and probably come out ahead !

I run a megasquirt in my na-t with 440 injectors (stock GTE injectors). yes it was a pain to setup at first, but man once your up and running the sky is the limit with a stand alone.
If you can't find a good donor car or engine/harness/ecu combo this is a good point. Stock wiring is tough to find in good shape, and normally expensive. Might as well spend that $$ on a standalone and have more flexibility in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my MK3 is a 89 not sure if early or late. but thinking it is early because they are more of a square shape than round. so are stand alones good?

thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts