Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I see in the stickies is info on turboing a na and installing a GTE. Nothing about an Na staying an na. Is there any info on this subject. I tried searching but it didnt work

Thanks,
George

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
There are the normal things you can to to any engine to help it perform better. Cold air intake, free flow exhaust, remove the cats, improve the cooling system. Other things like something to tweek the fuel curve help. They are all relatively easy and won't break the bank. If you want to get a little crazier port and polish the head, upgrade the fuel system to 440cc injectors and the lexus V8 MAF and a fuel controller.
There are a few free things that you can do like remove the EGR and the throttle body coolant lines but the HP gains are not noticed.
What other info are you looking for?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! What I am looking for is something like The Official 1/4 Mile Guide for Modding An Auto Supra sticky. But I guess that could work for an 5spd to. It wont be really accurate I guess, just close.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Also if you have money to spend, you could get the HKS 3.4liter stroker kit from MVP Motorsports. Yeah I know its like $7000 but if you used that kit with a ported, polished and flowed head, you could prolly achieve over 300whp NA! Maybe even more with a .20 or .40 over bore to get you a 3.5 or 3.6 liter Supra. Take those ideas with a fuel controller, upgraded ignition system, some serious dyno tuning with the right performance shop. You may even reach 350-375whp. It may sound like a stretch, but if you think about it, look at how many big HP smallblock racecars are out there, (mustangs, camaros, etc). IT JUST MAY WORK OUT!

·
Supra Ricer
334 Posts
Just as a question, why would you want a bigger MAF? You lose resolution with a bigger MAF, so wouldn't you benefit more by running the smallest MAF possible?

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
PSiedSC300 said:
Just as a question, why would you want a bigger MAF? You lose resolution with a bigger MAF, so wouldn't you benefit more by running the smallest MAF possible?
Not sure what you mean by resolution? You run a larger mass air flow meter to get more air to the motor. Combine that with more fuel via larger injectors and you create more horsepower. With a piggyback fuel computer like an AFC or AFR you can fine tune the signal and dial in the proper A/F ratio easily.

·
Supra Ricer
334 Posts
If the MAF is able to handle more flow than the stock one, then its got less resolution. By resolution I mean accuracy. Think of it this way: Lets say MAF A can handle 350CFM and MAF B can handle 650CFM. They both work on the same range of voltage, but MAF A has a range of 0-350CFM to dial in the same 5V, where MAF B has to delegate 5V between 0-650CFM. Make any sense yet? Now, I'm not talking about physical size per say, because that really doesn't determine max flow as much. If thats what you are referring to, and only that, then my point is void here. You may be more experienced in Supras than me, but as far as I know adding larger fuel injectors to a stock fuel injected motor doesn't do any good. It's not just like throwing on a big carburator on a small block Chevy. You have to increase the airflow to make more power. The stock injectors will not be maxed out unless your making roughly 300+whp correct? So, until that point, why bother upgrading injectors? It's not gonna give him HP or anything. Make sense(I'm not talking down to you, just trying to level er something)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
echoing PSiedSC300, besides, I think it's kind of useless if someone upgrade the MAF senor but not the throttle body. yea yea, it's getting more air MEASURED at the senor, but it's still restricted by the throttle body before the manifold.

what I want to see is ITB with larger cams, both intake and exhaust, not just intake side. I would love to see that, stroker along with the basic bolt-ons and weight reduction..that's one NA i would love to see..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The differences of the maf is only in dimension, not electronics.

The lexus MAF and Supra NA maf is the same electronic sensor, but the lexus maf has more area within the housing to allow for more flow. The additional flow is roughly 25%, which upgrading the injectors from 330 to 440 increases the fuel 25%

There is no difference in the resolution between the mafs as far as the ecu is concerned.

The biggest HP gains on the NA, without goin turbo, would deff be smackin on headers. Adding an intake with the headers and a decent cat-back results in a good package. The maf and injector setup is even better for a smoother response and tweaking all the exta power out with a afc.

I ran Xerd headers, stock mid-pipe, TRD Gen2 catback, 440cc, lexus V8 maf, cam gears, pullies, rebuilt head, and a afc and dynod 209rwhp.

Another member did mostly the same and pulled the ac, and a few other things and got close to 230whp

All out motor would be sweet, but very expensive. The 2jz is really built to be a boosting power plant.

Want some cheap power, get some nitrous

·
Supra Ricer
334 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, I just went under the assumption he was talking about sensor range. I guess I didn't realize that the MAF was THAT restrictive. Good to know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts