Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yo. I am thinking of getting the horsepower freaks hks ssqv bov kit. I am just wondering if the bov blows off even when shifting at low rpms like when the turbo hasn't spooled? Or do you have to be spooling when shifting to get the sweet bov sound? thanks

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Trubo needs to spool to create boost to push the valve open to Vent when the gas is released. Low RPM you might get lucky you might not. My cousin as a HKS SSQV on his SRT4. He pushes 16 PSi n he's BOV doesn't open at lower RPMs n he gets compressor surge like a mofo. I had a HKS on my 7M with stock 6lb's and it opened up at low rpms. Not by much but still vented.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
well... *sighs*

yes you have to be under boost before you let off the throttle in order to get the "sweet bov sound."

the reason it is called a blow off valve is because it is venting the pressurized air back out of the system by "blowing" it off, or in a sense, purging. This is to negate the effect of compressor surge. Not just to sound cool.

G

·
Chrisco said:
well... *sighs*

yes you have to be under boost before you let off the throttle in order to get the "sweet bov sound."

the reason it is called a blow off valve is because it is venting the pressurized air back out of the system by "blowing" it off, or in a sense, purging. This is to negate the effect of compressor surge. Not just to sound cool.
lol seriously

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trubo needs to spool to create boost to push the valve open to Vent when the gas is released. Low RPM you might get lucky you might not. My cousin as a HKS SSQV on his SRT4. He pushes 16 PSi n he's BOV doesn't open at lower RPMs n he gets compressor surge like a mofo. I had a HKS on my 7M with stock 6lb's and it opened up at low rpms. Not by much but still vented.

-could you hear it?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
TaSe said:
Actually it's not boost that opens it. It's vacuum that opens it :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts