Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my turbo/manifold gasket about a year and a half ago and I was struggling to remove the last bolt of 4 bolts to remove the turbo. I couldn't manage to remove it I just loosened it with some needle nose pliers (took forever) untill I was able to unmount the turbo but the bolt was still lodged in place.

Since then I replace the bolts to studs but that one bolt I couldn't remove is still a bolt.

Looks like my gasket is shot again and I have to remove the turbo to replace it. Is there anything I'm missing how can I remove that last bolt. Do I have to clock the turbo to remove it?

*Btw the oil feedline was leaking at that time as well so that's why you might see burnt oil drops.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Using a bolt for that location is extremely non-ideal - it also looks like a random hardware store bolt, probably a 17mm from True Value if I had to guess.

That said, on to fixing it: If you haven't already, hose the fuck out of it in PB blaster and wiggle the turbo around a little if you can so that PB goodness can soak into all the crevasses and shit. Hose some more, wiggle a little, hose some more, until you're convinced it's hosed up then hose it some more with PB blaster.
Once that's done, reinstall the other front bolt and torque it down - that will relieve some of the pressure holding that hard-to-get one in place and thereby make it easier to loosen.
Personally, I'd be looking for a short little 17mm 6-pt socket that could fit. If not, try a cheap harbor freight socket set and just hit the right size socket with a grinder wherever you need to make it thin enough to fit. Obviously don't go ham and have a weak socket, but that helps a lot in making tools that fit these sorts of problems.

With turbos like that, I've had some success with a 'trimmed' socket on a 3/8 wobble extension to get them fuckers out.

I hope that helps

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,154 Posts
I always remove and install turbos in sections. Remove the compressor housing, remove the oil drain fitting and line, remove the center cartridge, then you're left with the exhaust housing bolted onto the manifold. Install in reverse order.

·
From the land down under
3,655 Posts
I always remove and install turbos in sections. Remove the compressor housing, remove the oil drain fitting and line, remove the center cartridge, then you're left with the exhaust housing bolted onto the manifold. Install in reverse order.
This is how I do mine too, as access to 2 of the bolts is painful.

P.S Nice to see you back around these parts, Jeff :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts