Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search but hard to find much.

I am getting a MKIII Supra and would like to know the following info:

1. Is a switch from auto to manuall tranny common?

2. What is stock boost?

3. What is max safe boost before blowing the head gasket?

4. Are you just using a MBC to control boost or are major fuel delivery changes required also?

Schmleff

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
S E A R C H
1. some people do this
2. 4.5 to 6 for an auto 6.5 or so for a stick (i belive)
3. depends some people can run 12 -15 psi all day long, others blow the gasket soon as they go above stock
4. Get intake and exhaust before turning up boost, (trust me) you can run 12 psi with the stock fuel and AFM

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ckanderson said:
S E A R C H
1. some people do this
2. 4.5 to 6 for an auto 6.5 or so for a stick (i belive)
3. depends some people can run 12 -15 psi all day long, others blow the gasket soon as they go above stock
4. Get intake and exhaust before turning up boost, (trust me) you can run 12 psi with the stock fuel and AFM
What type of power increase would I expect to see at 12psi?

·
Registered
117 Posts
from my experience a fairly decent increase comes from raising boost to 10psi.

I also still have the stock HG and am having no problems, yet. (knock on wood)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My intention is to mod the exhaust, remove cats, some type of cia and jump the boost up to safe level. I intend on also torquing the head bolts up to what, 72lb/ft?

It is an auto so bum deal on that. I understand that MKIII Supras are kinda gutless until about 60mph (stock). I have not driven it yet so I don't know for myself. I have read around the site and searched for alot of this stuff, but some direct discussion always helps.

I will have to drive it through a Wisconsin winter. Any tips on that?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Schmleff said:
My intention is to mod the exhaust, remove cats, some type of cia and jump the boost up to safe level. I intend on also torquing the head bolts up to what, 72lb/ft?

It is an auto so bum deal on that. I understand that MKIII Supras are kinda gutless until about 60mph (stock). I have not driven it yet so I don't know for myself. I have read around the site and searched for alot of this stuff, but some direct discussion always helps.

I will have to drive it through a Wisconsin winter. Any tips on that?
I would yell at you to search, but that has already been established.

Supras.nl and goto maintenance for a head bolt retorque proceedure.

As for snow there was a thread only a few days ago with some tips http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147608&highlight=snow+tires

And the mkiii gutless until 60 mph? Our engine has tons of low end torque, have you driven a mkiii?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hawkeye said:
I would yell at you to search, but that has already been established.

Supras.nl and goto maintenance for a head bolt retorque proceedure.

As for snow there was a thread only a few days ago with some tips http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147608&highlight=snow+tires

And the mkiii gutless until 60 mph? Our engine has tons of low end torque, have you driven a mkiii?
No I have not driven one yet. I have always wanted one. My friend that owns it was comparing it to my wrx and felt the wrx was faster to 60.

Like I said, I am spending alot of time reading and searching, I just cant search it all at once. Just needed a few quick answers.

Should be a few weeks before I get it, it is down for a water pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts