Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have just purchased a 93tt and I do not know what kind of OIL the guy used before me. I do however know that he was not using SYNTHETIC. Should I go ahead and switch over or should I just stay with normal OIL. If I switch to synthetic which brand should I use??????

·
Registered
108 Posts
If its a 93 its probably got 90k+ miles on it... at that point if it has had regular oil its probably not a good idea to synthetic in it.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Here is what i would do. Replace all the seals..yes including the rear and front main, cam, crank,and turbo seals then do a really good flush, pull the oil pan off after the flush clean that out, run a full syn oil threw the car for a few hundred miles with a new filter, then the repeat the process, replace the filter and oil, and you will be good to go with synthitic from that point on. no leaks. :)plus it will get you car in good working order too. :)
total time 9 hours to do the seals ( can be faster if your good with cars)
1-2 hours with the flush and replacing the oil and cleaning out the oil pan,
the 1-200 miles can be done in a few weeks
then 30 minutes to 1 hour replaceing the oil and filter ( clean the pan again)
50 k with no leaks and if you replace your oil every 2500 miles then you should be good to go. :)

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
You can change to synthetic at any point you wish. It won't "start leaking" or any of the other BS you hear about synth oil. If it leaks, a seal is gone. Fix it.

I use Mobil 1 15w50 with great results.

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
Simba said:
You can change to synthetic at any point you wish. It won't "start leaking" or any of the other BS you hear about synth oil. If it leaks, a seal is gone. Fix it.

I use Mobil 1 15w50 with great results.
:agreed:

Everyone says that a flush is needed, you need to change this, you need to change that, etc etc etc. Just do the switch. If anything goes wrong after the switch, chances are that the same problem would have orrured regardless.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
zerorecall said:
Here is what i would do. Replace all the seals..yes including the rear and front main, cam, crank,and turbo seals then do a really good flush, pull the oil pan off after the flush clean that out, run a full syn oil threw the car for a few hundred miles with a new filter, then the repeat the process, replace the filter and oil, and you will be good to go with synthitic from that point on. no leaks. :)plus it will get you car in good working order too. :)
total time 9 hours to do the seals ( can be faster if your good with cars)
1-2 hours with the flush and replacing the oil and cleaning out the oil pan,
the 1-200 miles can be done in a few weeks
then 30 minutes to 1 hour replaceing the oil and filter ( clean the pan again)
50 k with no leaks and if you replace your oil every 2500 miles then you should be good to go. :)
Changing the crank seals are no fun :( It seems like after you do it once it needs to be done a lot more frequently :scratch:

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
Changing the crank seals are no fun :( It seems like after you do it once it needs to be done a lot more frequently :scratch:
My theory about this would be some oil drying, hardening and forming a good tight seal on the cranks. Once you replace them, you "break the seal" (like a virgin), never being able to get it back the way it was (again.....like a virgin). :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Simba said:
Thats BS. :rolleyes:

Ok so I switch to synthetic at 60k miles, my rear main starts leaking, not bad, but still it was bone dry before. I drive for 1k miles and it still leaks. So I decide to switch back to Castrol GTX, no leaks or seaping just like before I switched.

Synthetic softens the seals and it also cleans out the "gunk" around the seals that is probably causing the seals to not leak. Its a much better oil and thats why if you switch to it after many miles using regular oil, your seals will probably leak or seap some. Either change the seals and hope for the best or just switch back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Formula1Vendetta said:
:agreed:

Everyone says that a flush is needed, you need to change this, you need to change that, etc etc etc. Just do the switch. If anything goes wrong after the switch, chances are that the same problem would have orrured regardless.
Or switch back to regular oil and the leaks will stop. :D

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
newone said:
Thats BS. :rolleyes:

Ok so I switch to synthetic at 60k miles, my rear main starts leaking, not bad, but still it was bone dry before. I drive for 1k miles and it still leaks. So I decide to switch back to Castrol GTX, no leaks or seaping just like before I switched.

Synthetic softens the seals and it also cleans out the "gunk" around the seals that is probably causing the seals to not leak. Its a much better oil and thats why if you switch to it after many miles using regular oil, your seals will probably leak or seap some. Either change the seals and hope for the best or just switch back.
Which synthetic oil did you switch to exactly?

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
er... suprised this hasn't been said before. Search on this topic as its been discussed before, and try www.mkiv.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would change to SYNTH and drain and replace at 1000 miles. Synthetic is good at removing deposits and sludge from the engine. I had a 94 that I purchased with 45k miles on it and changed to synthetic and had no problems.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
newone said:
If you think holding your car together with oil sludge is a pertinent thing to do, well, more power to you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
damn man, changing ALL the seals AND taking the oil pan down is a lot of work. i started putting syn. in mine at 125000 and its fine. just like it was stated before, if it leaks after you put syn. in they chances are it was gonna leak anyway.

93ttbpu: just go run your car for a couple of min. until its warm then drain as much as you can and fill it up with syn. and use a new filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts