·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
I always dyno at DSR.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
twinturbozs said:
Im looking to dyno my car this week for some tuning, any shop recommendations?
I will be at full function Tech @ 4:30 on Wednesday getting my MKIII tuned. Wanna stop by and see how they do?? I like that shop, they are kool..ofcourse my tuning can give u an idea if u are a 2jz...im tuning a 1jz...so u can gauge..

They are in Union City, off Alvarado Niles from 880.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Yes Racetune uses Dynapack.

ATP is still around, but last I tried to go there, they said their Dyno was closed to the public from now on. They're only using it to develop products :rolleyes:

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
so, here's the noob question of the century:

is there anything different w/ the dynapack dyno's? last i ever did any research was dynojet vs. mustang dyno.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
The general trend is that Mustang dynos will show the lowest rwhp numbers, dynojet will be higher and dynapacks the highest (of the major three dyno types).

Technically the 'dastek' system used by UTEC puts out the highest numbers I've seen though...1400rwhp on a stock 350z! that's *gotta* be an accurate system! haha :ugh2:

Most people use dynojet as the standard...it doesn't really matter though as long as you keep it consistent between the one you want to use to compare w/ other numbers...

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
Sport compact car October issue 2001 says

What we found, from our two-wheel-drive tests, is that the Dynapack and Dynojet give surprisingly similar readings. If you compare a 7-second pull on the Dynapack with a third-gear pull on the Dynojet (which happens to take 9 seconds), the charts agree to within about 2 hp. The same is true when comparing a 15-second pull on the Dynapack with a fourth-gear pull on the Dynojet (fourth gear, in this case, takes about 17 seconds). The agreement between dynos was similar on both cars.

actually performed this test in an effort to determine some sort of reliable conversion from one measurement to the other, but it appears that no conversion is necessary. As with any dyno, however, before comparing two different dyno charts, you should know the conditions under which the test was performed and be absolutely sure, in the case of the Dynapack, that the ramp time is similar.
I dont know much about mustang but I am fairly confident dynapack is accurate from what I have seen and experienced. For example I went to the track a couple days after dynoing and measured acceleration rate from 1/8th mile to 1/4 and the math matched almost exactly.

But like any dyno you can set it up to read whatever you wanted to if you want to fake numbers.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
TunaRollZ said:
Yes Racetune uses Dynapack.

ATP is still around, but last I tried to go there, they said their Dyno was closed to the public from now on. They're only using it to develop products :rolleyes:

ATP is no longer for public.
FFTEC uses Mustang.
Racetune uses Dynapack - I think that's what it is called - they mount on the hubs.
DNR Performance - On Industrial in Hayward - Not sure what they use .

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
TunaRollZ said:
The general trend is that Mustang dynos will show the lowest rwhp numbers, dynojet will be higher and dynapacks the highest (of the major three dyno types).

Technically the 'dastek' system used by UTEC puts out the highest numbers I've seen though...1400rwhp on a stock 350z! that's *gotta* be an accurate system! haha :ugh2:

Most people use dynojet as the standard...it doesn't really matter though as long as you keep it consistent between the one you want to use to compare w/ other numbers...
Mustangs usually reads about 15-20 % lower than dynapacks or dynojet .
Dynapacks and dynojet have similar numbers from my experience with the Mustang being the lower one which is no big deal.

I would just convert my numbers depending o the person asking and give them the number they are used to...

Example : I dynoed my MKIII with 318 hp/340 Trq at ATP
@ FFTEC, it read 292 yet car felt a lot stronger and quicker after tuning there with hard pipes and stuff

Last wednesday, I dynoed my 1jz @ FFTEC on the mUstang and the numbers came out 257/252 (HP/Trq) and when I posted it up, quite a few said I was not getting a good tune and the numbers were too low ..blah blah blah... yet, if you drive the car, its pretty darn quick :
I convert it to dynojet numbers by adding 18 % and the so called number everyone is used to seeing is 308hp/303 trq ..and that makes everyone happy ...

The bottom line is, dyno is a tool for tuning and thats what I look for no matter which one you use....a long as the car gets to run the way it should..

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
ATP is no longer for public.
FFTEC uses Mustang.
Racetune uses Dynapack - I think that's what it is called - they mount on the hubs.
DNR Performance - On Industrial in Hayward - Not sure what they use .

Found this on the net looks like they are dynojet
http://www.rx8club.com/archive/index.php/t-8322.html

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
gixxer_drew said:
Sport compact car October issue 2001 says

I dont know much about mustang but I am fairly confident dynapack is accurate from what I have seen and experienced. For example I went to the track a couple days after dynoing and measured acceleration rate from 1/8th mile to 1/4 and the math matched almost exactly.

But like any dyno you can set it up to read whatever you wanted to if you want to fake numbers.
I've used Mustang Dynos and Dynojets all my life... I've only witnessed the dynapack in action.

For the most part it seems to vary based on how the tuner/shop sets up their dynapack. Although from what I've seen, most tuners have theirs set up it in a way that coincidently leads to slightly higher numbers than dynojets (spinning your rotor w/o a wheel and tire is a bit easier than spinning your wheels and tires on a big drum (albeit a load-less drum).

From what I've seen, dynapacks can also be setup to simulate load (kinda like a mustang dyno) to produce closer-to-real-world AFRs. I these cases, I usually see numbers that are slightly lower than dynojet figures...

I never said Dynapack wasn't accurate. It all comes down to which one you're used to seeing numbers on and sticking with it. I *did* however say Dastek dyno's are inaccurate :D

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
But so that just means that it can read innacurately if you set it up to, but thats true of all dynos. Just didnt seem like a fair statement when you first said it but makes sense now.

I was thinking it would be cool to do a different dyno at the next meet since we did dynapack last year.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
gixxer_drew said:
But so that just means that it can read innacurately if you set it up to, but thats true of all dynos. Just didnt seem like a fair statement when you first said it but makes sense now.

I was thinking it would be cool to do a different dyno at the next meet since we did dynapack last year.
Yeah...that's a really good point to mention on this thread too actually.

Any dyno shop can add whatever correction they feel like. Thus the reason to only take it to reputable places you can trust (or at least you've dynoed at before - to keep your numbers comparable).

The Mustang dyno I used to visit can add their x% correction to give you dynojet-esque numbers. From my experience this % difference was usually ~20%.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
I'd like a dyno meet too...I need to get my mkiv on the dyno already.
I'm a bit tired of DSR's standard rate though...

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
hehe.

Last I checked...their regular rates were:

$90 baseline 3 runs.
$120 baseline 3 runs w/ AF reading.
$185 up to 1 hour of runs w/ AF reading and tuning.

:(

1 - 20 of 71 Posts