Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
is that on a fully warmed up engine and what temp outside? Looks normal when in cool weather or when the engine is semi cold. Mine idles at just below the 1 and is at 2 when driving. That's on a fully warm engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats on a fully warmed up engine and about 16 degrees CELSIUS outside. The reason I am asking is i have an obvious oil leak. I actually had my a bit of oil being spit out of my exhaust this morning what i started my car but as soon as it warmed it everything runs fine . JUST to be safe i completely closed my dna boost controller and I am only run 5 lbs of boost until i get all leaks fixed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
what oil are you guys running to get that pressure? i'm running 5W30 and i get about 30-40psi at 2.5k-3k if i remember correctly. it's a pretty much fresh engine so i'm running a thinner oil that circulates well since the clearances are all tight like new. what oils are you guys running?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mobile1 15w50 full synthetic

Now my car has about 300 k on it.... yet the previous owner had a blown head gasket and he had rebuilt the engine and turbo.Just had the compression checked out and its really good, so my engine is in quite good shape.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As per the 1992 edition of the factory repair manual, i'm sticking to 10 w 30 for the summer, non synthetic Castrol GTX. 5w30 is too thin, my oil pressure sits just below the first line.

I used 15w50 and 20w50.. my engine started to tick constantly like a rod knock almost. I spoke with the mechanics at toyota and they don't recommend anything above 10w30 since the 89+ supras had tighter tolerances on the engines and therefore did not require anything above 10w30. They stopped using 15w50 in 88.

The other reason why my pressure might not be where i want it is because of the bent fins on my oil cooler.

They didn't even recommend sythetic, engine was never built on it, but no harm will happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts