Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find this anywhere on the internet... what is the normal operating temperature?

I'm having problems. If I drive around town at 4k rpm, I hit about 105c in 20c weather. This is not good. :( I have a Koyo rad and dual electric fans. I don't know if the fans are running at 100% speed, and no idea how to check if they are.

I'm running an AEM EMS.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
thats 221F, normal temp should be somewhere in the 180-200 degree range depending on your setup and ambient temp, a large FMIC may raise your temp a little but im guessing you have flex-a-lite fans with a FMIC right? trash the flex-a-lites and either go with spal fans or the oem viscous clutch, in my experience the flex-a-lites arent ample for anything with a large FMIC as it flows HALF of what the stock fan does

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats 221F, normal temp should be somewhere in the 180-200 degree range depending on your setup and ambient temp, a large FMIC may raise your temp a little but im guessing you have flex-a-lite fans with a FMIC right? trash the flex-a-lites and either go with spal fans or the oem viscous clutch, in my experience the flex-a-lites arent ample for anything with a large FMIC as it flows HALF of what the stock fan does

Know which model spal and where to order it?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Is 105C your coolant temp or your oil temp? Too high for water but OK for oil which will get even hotter if you push the motor hard.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I can tell you that I tried both routs. I intitially had the powerhouse flexalite fans, and was overheating in florida with a Koyo radiator, then switched to 2 14" zirgo electric fans, and although a little better still was hitting over 220 in stop and go traffic. I decided to ditch that whole setup and just go back to the cluth/fan oem setup and never overheated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can tell you that I tried both routs. I intitially had the powerhouse flexalite fans, and was overheating in florida with a Koyo radiator, then switched to 2 14" zirgo electric fans, and although a little better still was hitting over 220 in stop and go traffic. I decided to ditch that whole setup and just go back to the cluth/fan oem setup and never overheated.

Damn!!! Where can I get the stock shroud, clutch, and fan? I think my mechanic who, unwisely, urged me to go electric just tossed them out last year.... :1poke:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
my oil cruising is usually 90c and water 92c or so, spirited driving i can get oil up to 110c ish. usually up a mountain.

if you mean your water temp is 105c id also try the stock oem clutch fan i have a fluidyne radiator with stock fan.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
The stock shroud, clutch and fan are better than most think. Good shroud goes a long way. Have you tried bleeding the system?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
its rare you every hear of anyone overheating with a stock fan setup with the shroud, any fan without a good shroud is useless, the nicest electric kit i have seen is the AAP dual zirgo kit with the polished shroud, it flows as much or more than the stock setup but is much cleaner looking along with the standard benefits of electric fans.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The stock shroud has been extensively and precisely designed to draw in and circulate a maximum amount of air based on the spacing of the mechanical fan behind it, as well as its blade pitch angle and size. There is no way that a generic off the shelf pair of electric fans attached to a shiny cookie baking tray will ever be able to duplicate this OEM under hood flow regardless of advertised CFM measurement.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
Electric or not, our stock fans pull in about 3500 CFMs and any good two electric fan setup can pull more than that I.e. two 2000 CFM fans. Now, the shroud is very important as well, channeling the air is the other half of the battle, but again any good electric setup should have a good shroud as well. Let's not forget to mention that your car should be running Toyota red and distilled water which can have a decent effect on your temps because of the alcohol content in the Toyota red versus whatever coolant OP is using if not Toyota.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
203 deg F is a consistent temp I saw when I monitored the temps. This was with the stock T-stat.

I never heard of anyone overheating with the stock fan setup. Yet people continue to run the electric fan BS. The only good electric fan setup is on a car that came that way from the factory. A lot of engineering goes into designing that stuff that the aftermarket just cannot match.

Al

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
^I can only provide what I know, but the GS/IS electric fans are top notch. They came with the 2JZGE on the lexus models, so the shroud design must be effective. I fun GS300 fans, and in stop in go hot texas weather I log 178F constant temps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I ran the flexalites for a while, the only time I ever had a problem with overheating was when it had air in the system. Burped it and temps dropped 40F. I would try doing that before coughing up any money.

·
From the land down under
4,308 Posts
Electric or not, our stock fans pull in about 3500 CFMs and any good two electric fan setup can pull more than that I.e. two 2000 CFM fans. Now, the shroud is very important as well, channeling the air is the other half of the battle, but again any good electric setup should have a good shroud as well. Let's not forget to mention that your car should be running Toyota red and distilled water which can have a decent effect on your temps because of the alcohol content in the Toyota red versus whatever coolant OP is using if not Toyota.
The problem with nearly all electric can CFM ratings is they are given from a test with the fan hanging in free air.

Add the resistance of the radiator core in front of them, and their ability to flow air drops like a stone, hence why 9 out of 10 people who go to electrics have overheating issues.

The only electrics I would ever consider acceptable to use would be oem fitment fans like from a lexus. Designed with reliability in mind, not profit.

OP, change mechanics and get your tried and tested clutch fan and shroud back on, and let overheating be a thing of the past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts