Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock N/A with auto. I see NOS kits appear to be dirt cheap.

From around US $500

http://www.suprastore.com/supnitoxkitn.html

It's quite confusing Wet Kit, Dry Kit, Direct Port, Fogger?

What I'd like to know is how the system generally works on a Daily driver.

So driving around town you won't really feel much? What happens if your at the lights and you put your foot down; The auto hits about 3000 rpm ????? Would it kick in similar to a turbo.

Is this when the NOS starts to work ????? 3 TO 6000 RPM ?

Or another scenario; Your on the open road and want some extra juice for overtaking. Do you push a button to give it a sudden burst or does the NOS just come in when you hit WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

Say your going to travel 500 km. Would this use much of your NOS if for example the system operates every time you hit 3000 rpm?

Or like do you use a BOTTLE OPENER to switch the system on every time you see a mustang :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
dont know to much about nos. But its triggered my a switch im pretty sure of. they rest im not sure about.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
For less than 100hp, I'd get a single fogger wet kit, for high HP, get a direct port wet kit.

You don't want to spray before 3000 rpm, it causes too much torque and can spit a rod out the block. It's best to use a rpm window switch with pills in it so that you can't spray below 3000, or above ~6500 (so you don't hit the rev limiter while spraying).

Basic setup should be like this... you have a master arming switch, once it is on, the Nitrous is ready to go. You use a WOT switch (usually mounted at the throttlebody) to activate. So once you have the Arming switch on, are above 3000rpm, and mash the throttle, the nitrous will spray.

A bottle opener is nice if the bottle is mounted where you can't just reach back and turn it on.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which Kit

That sounds excellent Dave. I would be more than happy with 100 HP so do you think the kit above would be suitable or can anyone suggest a good kit. US $500 bucks is well within my budget (can possibly go a bit more) and the characteristics you describe sound good WOT and window switch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This brings up something I've always wondered about. How bad is NOS for our engines? I'm curious as to how much damage a lets say 50-shot wet sytem would do to your engine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nitrous is similar to a turbo in that you have more compressed air coming into the engine therefore, you will need to upgrade your fuel management as well. I am not familiar w/ nitrous on a Supra so I don't know exactly what to tell you to buy, but I would think a Fuel Regulator, an AFC, and possibly a bigger fuel pump. My friend installed a 100shot on his Z28 and used all new parts that he did not cheap out on. I believe everything ended up costing him a little over $2k. You could probably get away with spending only 1.5k but deffinently will cost more than 500.

Chris

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote - NOS KIT 40 - 60 HP

http://www.lonestarperformance.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2001&Product_Code=5348

"Owners of imported vehicles can benefit from nitrous power, as NOS has developed safe, reliable and highly effective kits that produce from 40 to 60 hp for a large number of applications. Most of these employ "dry" injection technology, where the OEM fuel injection provides the required additional fuel to the motor only when the nitrous system is armed and activated at W.O.T. (wide open throttle). These systems provide excellent fuel/nitrous distribution to each cylinder, as opposed to the "wet" kits from other manufacturers. However, NOS does recommend "wet" type kits for most turbocharged and supercharged applications due to the increased air velocity and extra heat from the forced induction. With over 20 years experience, NOS knows what it takes to make power...safely and reliably! "

·
Feck Off My Internets
1,157 Posts
just some more info the 500 dollar basic kits dont come with everything you need to be "Track" legal as I faced this very delema.. I had to buy additional shit to make my nos kit legal for racing on a track.. just a heads up for you peeps lookin to run on a track with your kit. Everything will run you around 1k for all neccessary parts.. just my .02

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
please dont take this like im being a smart alec....but i really think you need to know what your buying before you buy it. i really think you need to research more on nitrous before you actually go ahead and do buy it. first of all....wet kits are kits that spray nitrous with fuel directly into the cylinder (correct me if im wrong) thus the name direct port....also fogger is just the name for the nozzle in which you connect both fuel and nitrous lines, dry kits are kits that spray just nitrous into the intake manifold (maybe?) or somewhere before the actual cylinder.....my advice is that you go with something less than a 100hp shot.....also i would say personally i wouldnt want it triggered to spray at wot, i like being in control, so i would say go with the typical, buttons on your steering wheel, spray when you want to.....which brings me to my last point.....if you have it set up this way.....the only way you get spray is if you have your bottle open and armed and you push the button....it sprays as long as you hold the button....ive heard things about dont spray in first, which i would agree to, but other than that i dunno...my friend also said not in top gear? i dunno if thats right but i dont think you need to be going that fast in the first place. hope this helped at all.

btm

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TOP SPEED

The car is electronically limited to 180 km but will do 240 only if I install an SLD (speed limit defender). Doing what Dave says and installing an rpm window switch will mean you get ferocious acceleration without the TOP speed which I guess would be around 300 km per hour (correct me) if the speed limiter was removed. That is 220 hp stock plus 100 hp NOS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts